AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow the butt stock on my Wasr got a major chip by the tang. I am thinking of replacing it with E.G. Not too crazy about the bumps, but oh well. Will these things just bolt on, or will they require some fitting? Is there a noticeable weight difference? I plan on leaving the pistol grip, so there will be no parts compliance problems. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
EG stocks rock for EG clones. If you're not making a clone, and need a stock, it's a stock. Usually pretty cheap, too.

It should be a straight swap for your stock.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I always thought they were ugly too until I saw this.

:smile:

I dont know what you had on, but there are lots of cheap Romy stocks around that make nice stocks when refinished.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It had the stock that it came with. I don't know what happened, but I had cleaned it after shooting and the next time I looked it was buggered up. I live by myself, so I can't blame anyone else... I looked around on the net a bit, the E.G. is only 30 bucks for the whole set. I doubt if I have to worry bout the same thing happening again with the plastic.

One Point, thanks for that idea. That does look sharp.

·
Registered
698 Posts
While I don't have an East German set on any of my AK's. I have always liked the look of them. In one way kinda Fugly.Then in another way very neat. I like them. Go for it. WarDawg

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Although the phenolic lower handguard is *the shit* and the pistol grip is nice, I would highly recommend against the buttstock for a "serious" gun. First, there is no buttstock stroage. Second, the plastic is fragile compared to wood. Ask me how I know. Or send me your mailing adress and you can have the 1" tag stub that broke off my E German stock!

Also be aware that the gas tubes in the NIW packages from northrdige and the like need some fitting done with a dremel to get them to work on a Romy kit. At least mine did...the tube was too long and there was no chamfer on the bottom rear edge. :neutral:

I will say the camo paint shown above is awesome.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
The cammo job above was nicely done but i still think the stock set looks like ass, If you were doing a clone like Eod said then it would be appropriate. I bought a mak90 years ago that had that stock set mounted to it and it was the first thing i replaced. I put the buthole stock on in its place. Which was the right thing to do anyways since it was a post ban gun during the ban. :neutral:

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I agree with most of these guys :shock: . If you're trying for an EG clone then go for it. If not, get what you want and call it a day. In general the EG stuff does look like 'ass' :lol: but you do need one to round out the Kalashnikov collection.

Almost forgot - No matter what the EG set looks like - It's still looks better than a TACTICAL TAPCO AK. :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol, tapco was never a option. I wouldn't even be messing with it, but I can't live with a 3/4 x 2 sliver next to the tang missing. Hell if I could find it, I would try glueing it back on. lol. I did some searching and a stock set off a romo kit seems to be right around the same on the trader boards if not more. Guess I like the factor of being E.G.. a little uniqueness for the wasr. I must like them fugly and yet neat things, I ride a 97 850 beemer :razz: . I was hoping that the top handguard would come off the gas tube like the wood does though. It's numbered to the rifle.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Not everyone's cup o tea, but I really like my EG clone. Hell for the price of $25 or so you can't go wrong. It makes a nice lightweight rifle as was mentioned above.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Git admmit . They kinda grow on ya. Thjose look very nice guys. Just another flavor in the AK series. Good Job. WarDawg :twisted:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I used the black Rustoleum "fine textured" spray on my set...it seems to improve on it.

Lollygagger :neutral: (the grip is a Yugo one I tried out)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I like them enough (and so do others) that I've already sold two E.G. builds and am building one more to put up for sale......... :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guess I'm sold on the idea. Put the order into northridge. I think I am going to do the black paint job as the earlier posted pics. Seems like it would be easier. Also ordered a couple of waffle mags from Kvar to complete the evil black plastic look. :twisted:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts