AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pistol grip during the Russian war in Afghanistan? And is it a 2 number year or 4 numbered year on the trunnion next to the factory mark? Planning on sending in my AKS74 to have the factory and selector marks engraved on it. Want to get the right year on it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
85 would be the final year for the wood handguards on the AKS-74

Starting in 1980, the year serial number prefix goes from four digits to two.

Seems like if you doing a 80's to 85 "clone" the bakatlite grip would be okay.

some one else needs to chime in to say what years the AKS-74 used the laminate grip..I thought they were the early years though..not sure

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I have seen one 1979, and several 80 and 82 rifles (pictures and kits from deacts), that had the wood handguards and the shine plum grip (not bakelite).

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
jithaca said:
I have seen one 1979, and several 80 and 82 rifles (pictures and kits from deacts), that had the wood handguards and the shine plum grip (not bakelite).
There are also a few 82' and 83' AK-74s and AKS-74s on Tantal's site that have the older laminate wood pistol grip. This may not have been the factory standard, but I imagine a good number of 74s still used the laminate grip during the early 80's.

ETA: I personally love the look of AKS-74s with laminate pistol grips...I think Soviet AKS-74s with deep red laminate furniture, orange bakelite mags, and zig-zag brakes represent the sexiest of all AK configurations, at least aesthetically speaking. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
mco119 said:
jithaca said:
There are also a few 82' and 83' AK-74s and AKS-74s on Tantal's site that have the older laminate wood pistol grip. This may not have been the factory standard, but I imagine a good number of 74s still used the laminate grip during the early 80's.
Those were owned by a collector in Switzerland who admited to changing them out.

·
Registered
283 Posts
when did the early plum mags come out and what pistol grip was used?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts