AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
We had a Maj and MSgt at Ramstein bring back several RPGs and AKs along with ammo and rockets. I believe it was pilot and loadmaster working together on that one. Yep they got caught and it was all over the newspaper and base webpage the next day.

Basically no firearms or munitions. Anything that US customs wouldn't let you bring back. Any other restrictions is up to your CO.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A buddfy of mine in my old unit brought back a periscope from a T-72 and gave it to me -it's pretty cool. He also brought some Iraqi berets, belt buckles, and plenty of very cool and gruesome photos. I don't think bayonets are allowed, but I could be wrong on that. I was hoping for one of the Hussein bros gold-plated AKs of MP-5s-wishful thinking.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
AF Major Charged For War Souvenirs
Associated Press
July 27, 2004

EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. - An Air Force major has been charged with bringing captured AK-47 assault rifles, rocket propelled grenades and other illegal war souvenirs home from Iraq, military officials said Monday.

No decision has yet been made whether Maj. Gregory McMillion will be court-martialed or subject to nonjudicial discipline, said Capt. Kristi Beckman, a spokeswoman for the 33rd Fighter Wing.

Also among the suspected contraband found at Eglin Air Force Base were other rifles, Iraqi uniforms, knives and bayonets. The items were found when equipment was unpacked after about 130 troops returned in November, according to the wing.

Charges against McMillion include disobeying orders and regulations prohibiting military personnel from bringing weapons and certain other items home as war trophies, failing to report and turn over captured or abandoned property and dealing in such items.

The major also was accused of making false official statements, wrongful disposition of military property and conduct unbecoming an officer.

McMillion and his military lawyer refused comment Monday.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
:shock: that was a big crate of stuff...no wonder they got caught!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Krinkfreak, thats the story I was talking about! I thought he was caught at Ramstein bringing that stuff back. In the press release I guess the MSgt's evolvment wasn't mentioned. I didn't know he brought back that much stuff! :shock: Look at the big anti-tank mine sitting there. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Sure were alot of goodies in there. I wish they would at least let us import the kits...

Seems like a great way to pay for new weapons for the Iraqi Army....chop your old stuff, let us buy it, take the profit and buy new weapons....

Oh well.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Basically no firearms or munitions. Anything that US customs wouldn't let you bring back
basically if it shoots or explodes you cant bring it back,...parts are good to hook though,..just no reciver or barrel now :sad:

if i do go back you can bet your ass im gonna buy my own band saw and bring back as much of a kit as i can,..man i would love to have all the furniture and mags/parts just laying there

there are plenty of US companys that could make the recivers but somone would have to find a place to make new barrels,...which with the way ive seen iraqis treat there weapons this would be a good idea even if you got the barrel back

you would think a Maj. would know better,...if he wanted to get a complete firearm / barreled reciver back,..at least back to the U.S. he should have had it smuggled thru mexico

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
I can't see any reason to bring back a complete "select-fire" weapon, with the current laws the way they are....

An unregistered machine-gun will get you lotsa time in the federal pen, plus a healthy fine to boot....

I think the real answer here is to relax the NFA registry and let law-abiding citizens register machineguns again. But that will never happen....

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I know a drywall guy who told me he had done work for people that needed guns hidden in their walls. This was probably in the late 70's. He said many were AK-47s uzi's etc... The reason: some were ex-cons, and some just wanted to hide them from the wife during the divorce, some for SHTF. So I could see some people wanting an illegal full auto. It's just not somthing you would sell to just anybody. It would have to be properly hidden for special occasions like most illegal FAs out there.

BiggerStick47 said:
So, does anybody know what his Arfcom screen name was? :lol:
:roflmao:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have heard completely unverifiable rumors that some illegal FA AKs have made the trip from Iraq. Not surprising, really...

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
CornFedHusker said:
I have heard completely unverifiable rumors that some illegal FA AKs have made the trip from Iraq. Not surprising, really...

well i'll just say baghdad was not the only place where i played with a FA RPK-47 :wink:

i think he was crazy as hell for doing it,..it is not worth the risk to bring it in,.. but once it is here it is a easy as hiding nuts from a blind squirrel

and yeah it was fun to shoot,...but this is why the customs guys are so good now,...when all of this first kicked off,..alot of stuff slipped thru the cracks,...but as they got better the cracks got closed,..although im sure if there is a will,.. there is a way.

it is a shame that the vets of other wars got to bring home war trophies but we could not :evil: ,..there should be no reason what so ever to keep me from bringing home a real russian dragunov,..as it is only a semi-auto rifle,..just like the PSL sitting in the safe now

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Policy is that you really can't bring much of anything back, and if you do, you are supposed to have a receipt for it. Unit commanders may tighten the theater policy, but not violate it.

I don't know what the policy is right now, but when I went about all you could officially bring back were bayonets. Magazines were never allowed.

We all know how those dang GIs, are, though, and if it will fit in a duffle bag (or deuce and a half)...

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Now that bayonet collection would have rivaled MrKrinks :grin:
We hear about all the caches that get caught being brought in, by majors, captains and all ranks really, but what we dont hear about is all the shit that doesnt get caught which i'm sure is alot. I can just imagine the live RPG's with rockets that have made it here that are sitting under some vet's bed at home.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
eodinert said:
We all know how those dang GIs, are, though, and if it will fit in a duffle bag (or deuce and a half)...
Or a C-5, some guys stole an artificial palm tree from Kuwait a couple years back. Probably longer than a deuce.

Stuff comes up missing all the time. We had an electronic detonantor go missing from the benchstock a few months back. Value was around $200,000. Never heard of whose ass got in a sling for that one.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
the guy had huge nuts and small brains to try and get all that stuff back.......hell I was nervous bringing back the small amounts of(legal) stuff from africa and Bosnia

·
Registered
621 Posts
Those guys was gonna make some big money!!
I have seen and held FA AK47s that came back from iraq.....The guy that brought them back is now setting in the brig at camp lejeune awaiting trial for F.R.M.I.T.A. prison.....He deserves it too. He got busted then ratted out and sent to jail, everybody he could think of up to keep his self out of jail....But once he ran out of people to put in jail......They came after him!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts