AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a 74 style flash hider for my maadi. I know that some are just made to look like them and some have all the proper specs and work well. What I Want to know is witch ones work well and witch ones are junk?

· Registered
3,582 Posts
The best one is the K-var 7.62 model mounted with an adapter or a 74 type FSB. the next best would be any military model that you bore out to atleast .490 I.D. for bullet clearence. any brake that looks like a 74 brake ,but is NOT military, other than the K-Var, is for "looks" only and work very little, such as Tapco or FSE ..as for the type of vents, zig zag, or half moon slits, it really makes no difference...

· Registered
622 Posts
omega88 said:
The best one is the K-var 7.62 model mounted with an adapter or a 74 type FSB. the next best would be any military model that you bore out to atleast .490 I.D. for bullet clearence. any brake that looks like a 74 brake ,but is NOT military, other than the K-Var, is for "looks" only and work very little, such as Tapco or FSE ..as for the type of vents, zig zag, or half moon slits, it really makes no difference...

What do you think of the chi com 74 style brakes?

· Banned
16,199 Posts
None are very authentic on a Egyptian Maadi. They are all pretty much the same in 14/1. All will fit on a 30 caliber. Depends if you need the US 922r part or not.

I would not bore out an original 24mm to .490. There is not really enough matereial for this and that is way large fopr a 30 calibre projecrtile. IMHO.

· Registered
3,582 Posts
.490 is the size of the I.d. on Bulgarian 7.62 brakes K-var has sold, and the K-var made 7.62 brake they sell now. The I.D. of a 5.45 brake allows a 7.62 bullet to pass ,but they usually will contact metal when the bullet goes thru when fired, the tolerances of the mount and barrel are to sloppy and not straight enough to work with the I.D. that tight.....490 minus a.311 bullet leaves only.089 around that bullet,granted the brake is perfectly alligned with the bore and the bullet travels straight thru the middle...

· Banned
16,199 Posts
A regular 24mm AK74 brake is about .335 or about .120 overall clearance vs the range you mention.

Chinese or USA TAPCO 14./1 AK74 clone brake is about .350" to .372". Plenty of room for a 30 cal projectile.
But whatever works for you. :smile:

I built an AK54r with a AK74 FSB and muzzle brake., and widened it out to about .380' .., plenty of clearance..

· Registered
3,582 Posts
Well I have to admit, I screwed up, I went and re measured my brake I.D.s and they are .390 . sorry to misslead you ,it was some time ago that I bored out an older 74 brake, and it is .390 the k-var brakes are .390 also and I made the hole the same size as those. my memory added a number 4 to the size . oh well I am old and it is late but I have no excuse for quoting wrong info, Now if only I can remember where my HARI-KIRI knife is at ,I will do the right thing...

· Registered
3,318 Posts
omega88 said:
any brake that looks like a 74 brake ,but is NOT military, other than the K-Var, is for "looks" only and work very little, such as Tapco or FSE ..as for the type of vents, zig zag, or half moon slits, it really makes no difference...
I should mention that the ones from AK-USA are also good to go, I imagine it probably just slipped your mind. The AK-USA ones are chrome-lined, while the Arsenal ones at K-VAR are not, but other than that they're both good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.