AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Was wondering if anybody here could give me insight to WV. I may have to be moving here shortly for an air force assignment and would like to know, most importantly, how the gun culture is there? I assume very friendly. Is it mostly a state of ruralness?

Any "intel" is appreciated thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you get to move to WV you will love it here. WV is very very gun friendly we are allowed Class 3's, SBR/SBS's, Suppersors. open and conceled carry, and alot of places to shoot. I will never leave this state because of that. Where are you getting moved to in the state. The state is fairly rural but both panhandles are heavily populated and in the last 5 years there are alot of jobs around here since the natural gas boom hit, not only in the gas fields buy is local services also. I.E Walmart, Dr. offices, stores and others incase you have a wife or girlfriend moving here with you. If there is anything else I can help you with just ask.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Schultze pretty much nailed it. Pretty rural and definitely gun friendly but who knows with Manchin still in office how long that lasts.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info schultze. The base is in Martinsburg. Pretty sure the only "big" city it's near is Baltimore. Looks to be a smallish town.

how is the climate in the winter? I'm imagining bleak, 6 months of snow like in NY, or is that totally not true?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
If you don't kayak, learn. A lot of great whitewater...go to Summerville in September and ride the Upper Gauley with some local outfitters, you will have a blast and will be able to tell if your into it.{think trial by fire}

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Weird, weird fact.
The best kim-chi I've ever had (other than two tours in Korea), was in West Virginia!
I was at a Chinese restaurant and had to ask about it. The lady who made it came and we talked. She was from Munsan, just up the road from where I had lived.
So, believe it or not, WV has some diversity to it.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Except for U.S. Senator Joe Manchin West Virgina is a pretty gun friendly state.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Deliverance was actually in South Carolina. I too always thought it was West Va. Martinsburg has a lot of thuggery going on, surprisingly but not as bad as were I live in NC. Winters are fairly bleak as you said. It is not as po dunk as most of the state since the area is two hrs from DC and you can practically throw a stone to VA, PA and Maryland from where you will be. I70 and I 81 intersect there so you can get around real easy.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Martinsburg is in the eastern "panhandle" of West Virginia. Its is far and removed from the rest of West Virginia. You would be better off asking "What's it like in Maryland" or "What's it like in Virginia." Rolling hills is the best way I can describe the scenery. Don't know about the people, but they must be a lot like people from Maryland or Virginia.
As far as gun laws go... West Virginia is at the top of the list for gun friendly laws, but drive a short distance into Maryland, Virginia or Pennsylvania and all bets are off. Cross the border into Maryland, and you'll get the feeling that Big Brother is in full control in many ways.
We have a US Senator that was recently elected, Joe Manchin. He sucked up to gun owners to get where he is. He even had a political ad on TV where he shot a deer rifle at a target and acted real tough. It helped get him elected. And then, just a little over a month after being elected, he was THE FIRST political figure to SUCK UP TO OBAMA after the tragedy at Newtown, Connecticut. He called for putting a stranglehold on "assault weapons" and mags. He was also a sponsor of one of the worst proposals the US Congress looked at last year in response to the "Newtown Craze."
I will be displaying a 4'X8' campaign sign for his opponent when he is up for reelection.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just be careful while in Charleston, the mayor likes to make up his own gun laws. Our group
WVCDL.og has a lawsuit against him right now. He is in violation of the State constitution.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
As far as gun laws go... West Virginia is at the top of the list for gun friendly laws, but drive a short distance into Maryland, Virginia or Pennsylvania and all bets are off.
Not to derail the thread, but PA is pretty damn friendly for the most part (always could be better, but far from the crap around us). Open carry is legal without a license in the entire state with the exception of Philly. Sheriff's sign off in a lot of places as well for NFA stuff. We have an extremely powerful community of gun owners that is incredibly organized and makes sure most infringements are met with a response. We are a shall issue state when it comes to carry licenses. Purchasing requires only a drivers license and has no limits on quantity. Our Uniform Firearms Act is the key though, it guarantees and protects our gun rights very explicitly... even outlawing having a registry of serial numbers/owners (this is being violated still though when it comes to handguns, but hopefully not for long). The only problem is some places like Philly violate it without repercussion, for now atleast.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Hi,

Was wondering if anybody here could give me insight to WV. I may have to be moving here shortly for an air force assignment and would like to know, most importantly, how the gun culture is there? I assume very friendly. Is it mostly a state of ruralness?

Any "intel" is appreciated thanks
I live in Ohio. It's been said to not be one of the descendent of the "aggressors" from the "War of Northern Aggression" in the State of West Virgina after sun down. Just stopping at a gas station, they will start to make small mealy pig whistles toward you while you pump your gas. Then someone plucks a banjo. If you don't leave soon, you will end up like this guy from the documentary Deliverance:

·
Banned
950 Posts
But wait a minute 7n6,... Ohio is a blue state and West Virginia is a red state.
I live in a small city that is about 98% white that tends to turn very minority during the election cycles- bus loads of them coming in because I guess they can't just walk in from Michigan.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but PA is pretty damn friendly for the most part (always could be better, but far from the crap around us). Open carry is legal without a license in the entire state with the exception of Philly and Pittsburgh. Sheriff's sign off in a lot of places as well for NFA stuff. We have an extremely powerful community of gun owners that is incredibly organized and makes sure most infringements are met with a response. We are a shall issue state when it comes to carry licenses. Purchasing requires only a drivers license and has no limits on quantity. Our Uniform Firearms Act is the key though, it guarantees and protects our gun rights very explicitly... even outlawing having a registry of serial numbers/owners (this is being violated still though when it comes to handguns, but hopefully not for long). The only problem is some places like Philly violate it without repercussion, for now atleast.
Pittsburgh is no where near a city of first class .... No LTCF needed for OC. Philly is the only place where it's needed.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I love WV and have spent much time vacationing there. But the only thing that bothers me there is their laws forcing everyone to smoke.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Pittsburgh is no where near a city of first class .... No LTCF needed for OC. Philly is the only place where it's needed.
Corrected, thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts