AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who don't know, I live in the far west suburbs of Chicago. I got home around 6pm tonight, sky was sunny and nice. Went to take some garbage out at 7:30pm, sky was pitch black with that greenish tint that means 'warning' to all midwesterners. I went back in, turned on the radio, find out there is a possible funnel in the town 10 miles west of me, head east at 56 mph! Right about then both sirens in town kicked on, grabbed my coat and flashilight and got ready to hunker down. :eek:

Turns out it swung north, and another one formed just south a few minutes later, and they basically straddled where I live about 5-10 miles in either direction. Everything is OK here, but it was a bit tense, even for someone used to living in tornado country! It doesn't appear that either one touched down, just spun in the sky, but a lot of the typical heavy wind damage- trees and power lines.

The one to the north ran right over the general area of one of my current projects, a 3 story wood frame structure that did not have the roof trusses installed. Winds were powerful enough to knowck down mature trees and lightpoles in the area, so it ought to be an exciting jobsite visit tomorrow.

Hope all our other Illinois/Indiana members are safe, feel free to report in!

Dawg

·
Banned
2,301 Posts
That's some scary shite. I think that is one of the only things I don't like about it down here. I feel like there's a twister out there with my name on it, I've ducked 2 in 3 years so far.

Lucky you got sirens...they said in our town this year that something like 7 out of 13 sirens have been stripped for scrap metal by thieves. I have one of those weather radios that has an alert that goes off and it has helped us a couple of times. I don't hear the sirens anymore :mad:

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Same here, very cool to look at! perpetual lightning and thunder, and a fire got started off somewhere south of me, from the lighting I'm assuming... the orange reflected off the clouds when it flared up. Pretty intense. The wind only really picked up once but it settled back down shortly after. What a show!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ha! The storm went south of me! I'm straight east across the lake from Chicago. Lately the lake has been taking the punch out of the storms you guys send across.

Lump

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Damn rain delay for Astros and Cubs... Stuck in the 6th...

We have our own storm brewing here. Eduard will be paying us a visit when we wake up... :neutral:

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They had to evacuate Wrigley Field, and everyone on an airplane at O'Hare Airport was moved to the lower level concourse. Probably the closest Chicago has come to a real twister in downtown in at least 15-20 years.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Don't get me started on how they TOR warn for every little
"hangy-downey funnel looking thingy" that the locals see up there... :mad:

I'm sure the sirens in Naperville were going off for no good reason
as per usual when you get a storm up there.

Some things never change...:lol:

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Never having lived in a tornado area, if I heard those sirens I would probably flash back to childhood training, and "duck and cover!" :lol:

·
Registered
433 Posts
In my hometown we've RARELY had tornadoes. Kinda lucky I guess. :neutral:

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been through more warnings than I can count, grew up aroudn here and it is just a way of life. You guys with the hurricanes have it easy- you can see it coming days in advance! :wink:

Never been hit by one, but have seen plenty of green skys and damage, and did see a funnel cloud form up 2 years ago, that was downright awe-inspiring to say the least.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Dawg180 said:
Been through more warnings than I can count, grew up aroudn here and it is just a way of life.
I did too. Fart wrong and they sound the sirens for it.
It's the chicken little syndrome. They sound them so often up there
with nothing happening, nobody pays attention to them any more...

Dawg180 said:
Never been hit by one, but have seen plenty of green skys and damage, and did see a funnel cloud form up 2 years ago, that was downright awe-inspiring to say the least.
Green skys?? You've been reading The Golden book of weather again huh?? Any idea what makes the clouds green?

The storms up there tonight were pretty cool to watch on radar here.
Nice severe MCS with possible TOR near Elmhurst.
C-MAN station 4miles NNE of Chicago recorded a 94 MPH wing gust
around 8:25 tonight...serious stuff.

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
all we got up here was some rain....sirens were going off, weather radios, no tornado.....go figure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts