AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do a Chinese underfolder milled build and just realized that while they copied the Type 3 pretty much ad verbatim for their fixed stock rifles, they did NOT do the same for their underfolders. Rather, they seemed to have copied the Type 2 rear section on an otherwise Type 3 milled receiver: where the receiver drops straight down before sloping toward the pistol grip. Attached is a photo of what I'm talking about.

Is it possible for a builder/experienced smith to weld and reprofile a Type 3 underfolder receiver, to match this older Type 2 style pattern? Ordered a Tortort and kicking myself for just noticing this.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
You might be farther ahead by starting with a milled MAK90, which is already slanted, and carefully converting it to an underfolder by making the holes in the receiver to attach the UF.

Remove the upper tang, carefully locate and drill or machine the UF holes, then use a thin cover plate to cover that big 1" round hole in the rear of the receiver. Next, replace the FSB & GB with Bulgarian, drill a cleaning rod hole in the lower handguard retainer, and either thread the muzzle or not. Bulgarian GB will have 2 retaining pin holes, ChiCom had one, so maybe weld the rear one shut...

Just ideas, my opinion.

On the other hand... if Tortort has a slant back milled receiever available, you could pretty easily sell whichever one you bought instead...

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
The early Type 3 Russian underfolder rifles had the “Type 2 “ style cut on the back end.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might be farther ahead by starting with a milled MAK90, which is already slanted, and carefully converting it to an underfolder by making the holes in the receiver to attach the UF.

Remove the upper tang, carefully locate and drill or machine the UF holes, then use a thin cover plate to cover that big 1" round hole in the rear of the receiver. Next, replace the FSB & GB with Bulgarian, drill a cleaning rod hole in the lower handguard retainer, and either thread the muzzle or not. Bulgarian GB will have 2 retaining pin holes, ChiCom had one, so maybe weld the rear one shut...

Just ideas, my opinion.

On the other hand... if Tortort has a slant back milled receiever available, you could pretty easily sell whichever one you bought instead...
I already have the Tortort slant back underfolder milled reciever on the way; what I'm saying is that its "slant" is a Type 3 profile rather than a Type 2 profile: the Type 3 slants almost immediately back toward the grip, whereas the Type 2 drops vertically down a bit before slanting back. No maker that I'm aware of period offers a receiver with the Type 2 profile, which is why I'm asking if this modification from Type 3 to Type 2 is even possible for a skilled builder. Might ring up Two Rivers and see if they can get me squared away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts