AK Rifles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I’ve got a strange idea from a possible future project. I recently purchased a Zastava ZPAP85; I wanted a Krinkov-type gun chambered in readily available 5.56, and got this new for a decent (for these nuts times) price. My one issue is that it doesn’t seem “Krink“ enough- with the 10” barrel, it just doesn’t seem short enough (from the back of the receiver to the end of the handguard it’s actually the same length as any AK).

In looking around later I ran across an Arsenal SLR 106U- pretty much a Krinkov in 5.56 with a 10” barrel, but using the long ”flash hider” to hide a couple inches of the barrel, keeping that Krinkov look. They’ve been out of production for a few years, so, of course with today’s nuts market, they’ve gotten expensive and scarce.

So, for a minute, forget the rational arguments about “sell this and get that”. My question is, would it be possible to modify the ZPAP85 to get the Krinkov look- shorten the gas tube, move the gas block back, put on the shorter handguards and modify/make a new Krink hider to go over the remaining few inches of barrel? I’m sure I’m simplifying all of this, but I’m just curious if any of this is even remotely possible. It’s not something I’m planning to do amy time soon, and I’m 90% happy as a clam with my gun; just 10% of me wishes it was just a bit more Krinky.

·
Technical Advisor
15,718 Posts
Anything is possible with the right amount of cash.
Disassembly, lathe work, a little welding possible and new furniture parts., and barrel cover.
Maybe $350 -$400 would do it.

Might be better to pay the $200 tax and get an underfolder buttstock and enjoy it as a Model 85 SBR as close to original as you can get in the US.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts