AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Privacy in technology

At this point, it is pretty obvious that "privacy" is quickly becoming more a nostalgic notion than something that is truly attainable.
That being said, I would like to open up a discussion about alternatives to using Google, and other popular services that don't seem to value the privacy of the individual consumer.

For searches, I have found "DuckDuckGo".
Info here: Google tracks you. We don't.An illustrated guide.

I would like to hear what you guys and gals have to say about possible alternatives to youtube, gmail, yahoo mail, etc. as well as the current incarnation of "smart" phones.
(Did you know that Google and other companies work closely with the .gov to develop products featuring specialized vulnerabilities in their encryption?)

I think it is defeatist to say "well, you're already being tracked and there's nothing you can do to reclaim any of your lost privacy".

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Just keep in mind that nothing is free. Search engines exist because they track and sell your information. Otherwise they would go out of business almost immediately.

I think the only way to circumvent that is to pay a monthly fee for a non tracking search engine.

The problem is you still feed though your good old ISP, and that's going to intercept the information right before the search engine does.

Things I can think of... Use the library.

Reactions: JoeMomma

·
Super Moderator
25,791 Posts
Just keep in mind that nothing is free. Search engines exist because they track and sell your information. Otherwise they would go out of business almost immediately.

I think the only way to circumvent that is to pay a monthly fee for a non tracking search engine.

The problem is you still feed though your good old ISP, and that's going to intercept the information right before the search engine does.

Things I can think of... Use the library.
When it comes to the web, there is no privacy. If you posted it, its there, and always will be in some form.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So would you guys say that outfits such as DuckDuckGo are merely pandering to my childish wish for privacy, and that there is no real privacy that they can offer me that is better than Google?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Check out Tor. There is more to privacy than just the sites you interact with, you have to remember that it takes multiple computers, multiple companies to get the info from your computer to google and back.

Scott

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Unless you are behind several proxies and disable all plugins, you are traceable. The NSA has hit TOR hard lately and taken down the sillk road and a bunch of other areas of the deep web.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't know much about them but I have heard that Start page is good. They are suppose to be getting a e-mail setup soon. They are said to be privacy advocates.

Old Sarge

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The destination might be safe but the road to it is filled with IED's.

Reactions: Corrosive

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I use Startpage.com. Google (and YouTube) are NSA.

But after all, as long as we have nothing to hide we have nothing to fear right?

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
honestly, it really depends on your objective here and how many hoops your willing to jump through. One reason that good security/privacy things haven't caught on, is that most people don't want to go through the extra steps. Everything is a trade off.

Are you looking to keep info from advertisers, various gov'ts, NSA, potential employers, etc?

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Might be interested in these articles ..

Stallman: How Much Surveillance Can Democracy Withstand? | Wired Opinion | Wired.com

DoJ: If we can track one American, we can track all Americans | Ars Technica

NSA collects millions of e-mail address books globally - The Washington Post

btw .. you can do your best to try and keep your "privacy" but that info may be determined by people that you communicate with. So not only do you have to worry about yourself, you have to worry about what your contacts do ..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts