AK Rifles banner

Weapons seized at JFK

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  beefcakeb0 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok seems this guy from Tennessee is flying out of or through JFK in NY and when he declared his two rifles and handguns they were seized and he was arrested. Now details on this are still sketchy, one report said two .22 caliber rifles that had been defaced, another said serial numbers scrubbed on rifles and one loaded so not sure what to think just yet. Anyhow picture of both rifles were posted here Man Carrying Guns, Ammo Arrested at JFK | NBC New York

Here they are...anybody know what the purple black mutt thingy is supposed to be??

Bumper

Here are the other guns he had:

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

I cannot see somebody stupid enough to try flying and checking a serial scrubbed gun...could purple/black rifle be a homebuilt contraption..no serial required. Also looks like maybe a AR.22 (no buffer tube)made from a milled...probably 80% lower...also no serial required.. is this just another case of a gun owner trying to do the right thing and getting jacked up by ignorant/malicious LEO's while travelling, in transit through a anti-gun state??

See less See more
#3 ·
Alright looks like two rifles and a shotgun and two pistols....no charges mentioned on the shotgun....guess that is NY ok ?? Looks to me like two homebuilt .22's and two 9 MMs with those horrible hi-cap mags.
News sources are saying one rifle was loaded....looks like that is the only valid bitch here as he by definition was in transit....FOPA should over ride NY's local bullshit...of course extended stay in unfriendly territory is not allowed and guns must be unloaded and in locked cases separate from ammunition to be protected by FOPA.

Looks like that loaded rifle might cost him.....dumb...dumb....dumb.

#4 ·
When I was moving from being stationed in Germany to the USA, we were cautioned against flying though ANY of the NYC area airports if we were importing firearms... They would "hold" the guns until you could prove that you could legally own them where you were flying.

Compare that to Atlanta, where I almost had to make them verify serial numbers vs the import permit.

#8 ·
This is what worries me about flying with guns. In the winter, what if you want to fly from Atlanta to Charlotte, [2 gun friendly cities]. But due to a huge snowstorm, you must land in NYC. The airlines puts you up at a hotel for the night [this happened to my brother once] & now you have 2 guns on the streets of NYC that are illegal to have there. What do you do next? GARY

#10 ·
If you are 'IN Transit" moving through a ban state/city the FOPA "should" protect you from any seizure or possession charges. The act addresses transportation but doesn't cover every possible scenario...what if you are traveling by car and it breaks down in a ban state and will be several days for repair...what do you do with weapons then?? You surely would not want to leave them in your vehicle while it is in the shop? Take it to your motel you risk arrest....what would be the best course of action ?? Call the local police to have them hold them until your trip can be re-started??

If you were dealing with rational people things would be a lot simpler, simply look at the intent of the law and the reasonable man could determine intent to violate it or not but dealing with rabid anti-gun zealots who knows what to do.

I drove to Chicago and flew to Alaska with my son's AK in a locked hard case with no issues but was worried as to what would happen if I got in a wreck in Chicago with it's assault ban.

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. "

Sounds good but will it really protect you??

#12 ·
> serial numbers scrubbed

This is a valid concern if you have an AK built with a "scrubbed" trunnion. It's where the serial number is on an AK-47, and it's usually pretty obvious there was a number there. Trying to explain that it's not a "defaced serial number" could get complicated, and then you have to explain that, yes, you're claiming the sheet metal box is the receiver, why isn't there a serial number on that?

I don't know of anyone who has been jacked up over it, but if I had an AK with a scrubbed trunnion, I'd print out some explanatory material from atf.gov and keep it nearby, just in case.

#15 ·
Legally if it's a home build I don't think you have to have a serial number, especially if you made the receiver yourself. Course I could be wrong and wrong means I deserve to get my door kicked in, my dogs shot, and my life ruined.

#13 ·
I am confused(what's new?). He did not have them in his "possession", they were in the cargo hold. What is the difference (outside of being loaded) between what he did and shipping them FedEx next day air?

#16 ·
Something is queer here and it is not just the color of those guns. This is not some FUDD on his way to Montana for a trophy hunt and got blindsided by circumstance. Almost as if this guy wanted to get caught for some reason. Whole thing seems off to me.

#17 ·
This is one of the main reasons I will never fly with a gun.. I can't think of a reason to that would be worth possibly losing.

They even have a history of doing this with extremely valuable guitars that are made from woods that are now illegal to import/export. They'll let you leave the country with the 100% legal to own/buy guitar, and once you try to come back they'll confiscate it. It's almost possible to get the paperwork to prove the wood is legal, so they'll just confiscate the guitar and after a certain period of time it's no longer claimable. Unreal.

#20 ·
Last year I flew from Montana to Texas and back with my pistol. It was required to be in a locked case and be "checked baggage" under the plane. Neither the TSA here or there even wanted to see it, they just swabbed the case for explosives and sent me on my way. Hell, I didn't even get felt up at the check point, LOL ...

Years ago me and my "now" wife went through JFK and they confiscated our kinky handcuffs although security at LaGuardia just giggled and sent us on our way. Go figure ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.