AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon I was in the desert with my girls looking for rattlesnakes and jackrabits to shoot. While driving by some scrub brush and catuses a big dog jumped up and ran to my truck. It startled me at first and I almost shot her. However, we were in the truck and protected so I didn't shoot. As I slowed down and the dog ran to my door a started to wag its tail. It then ran in front of the truck so I stopped so that I would not hit her.

The girls were bagging me not to shot it, so I said I would give her some water. It drank over 1 liter in about 90 seconds. The dog was thirsty and totally emaciated. You can see alot of its bones. It had a collar that had broken telephone cord wrapped around it. Kept wagging its tail the whole time, so I decide to throw her in the back of the truck. She was too tired to jump in but she walked up my motorcycle ramp.

The girls are happy, my wife is unhappy, the dog is happy. But I don't know what to do. Anyone have experience with animal rescue shelters? I would keep her but I don't thinks my wife would go for it. BTW, my brother said she looks exactlly like his brindle bull mastiff. And he says that is what I have. The dog is still young just extremely friendly but litterly skin and bones. It even wagged its tail when it was eating and didn't growl at me.

What do you all think I should do?
Animal rescue or keep her? I just don't want her to go to a shitty home, like her first one, but my wife say no to own home.

She is outside in the backyard. Drank more then a gallon of water. I fed her just a little bit of food because I did not want to shock her stomach.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Let the kids work on her. :wink:

The dog will probably do it's part to ingratiate itself to her as well. In the end it's your descision.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
10 years from now, you will be sitting in a chair, patten that dog on the head. Thinking to yourself, "Dam, thats the best dog I ever had."
Sounds like she needs a second chance on life. KEEP HER :grin:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Good for you, not letting the dog die in the desert. That is just what
it takes sometimes to find a good dog for the family, if thats what you want/need. Whatever you decide, you did good by showing some kindness.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That dog knows you as a life saver...that dog will love you and your family now. Your wife will get over it if the dog grows on her. If it wont reck your marriage keep it. If it looks like it will then find the dog a good home. Scenarios like that one usually result in a life long friend.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If the dog passes the usual socialization tests, try taking food away while it's eating, then I'd say you have a great pet.
They are expensive dogs. If there are no tags or ID on the collar I'd say keep her.
Congrats

·
Registered
949 Posts
If you decide to keep her, I'd take her to the vet and her checked out. Not only that, but possibly being an expensive breed, she may have a chip. If she doesn't, you're in the clear. If she does, you don't want to be accused of stealing a dog. I'm just thinking in CYA mode.

Lump

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
check to see if it has a chip and if not then you have to keep it for the kids sake at least!!! and it will probaly be the best dog you have ever met!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Does she look kind of like this?

This is "Rommel" my "pure-bred mutt" Mastiff... He's 1/2 Bull, 1/2 Bordeau (Turner and Hooch). Bure-bred Mastiff's can be several thousand dollar dogs, as mine is technically a mutt - I got him for almost nothing.

Anyway, at 16 months, he's 140lbs and the most gentle-giant, family/people oriented dog I have ever known w/a TON of personality. Yes, he grunts, groans, drools, burps, farts, sleeps in the bed, and takes dumps that make my ass hurt just looking at them. But I would walk away from my job (LEO) before I got rid of this dog... An intergral family member. If she is a Mastiff, she will be one of the best family dogs you will ever have. Check out the chip thing, if she's not chipped, work on the wife, find excuses to keep her around and let the kids get good and attached. If she's friendly, odds are, she's already a keeper.

ALSO - Mastiff's are prone to dehydration as they have the highest "naturally occuring body temp" in the dog world (106-110 dergrees)... So be sure to have water available to/for them at all times!!!

PM for more detailed info if you are seriously considering keeping her, as I can give an honest assessment of what you're looking at...

Good luck

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Keep it! You'll never regret it.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
There used to be a bull mastiff that hung around where I worked, he was the best/most gentle dog I have ever seen. If I ever had a large dog, it would be a mastiff.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Shelters ar full all over america..If it comes to the point were you have to take it to a shelter look for a NO KILL SHELTER..Most give a cuople days then there put to sleep..

Good job on saving the dog!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
nobodys gonna adopt a dog that big. my rotties are in the 150lb range and they eat alot. the shelter won't keep her forever. one word for ya brother "carma". i say keep her. maybe tell your wife you are going to try and find her owner(somebody probably dumped her out). if you don't by that time your wife will have probably come around. :grin: good luck.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
A good pet is hard to find, keep it!! You can always get another wife. :wink:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Two choices:

A: Keep it B: Find a "NO KILL" shelter

It sounds like you found a great dog though so as most have already said, I say try it out and see. You saved her so she will always want to return the favor.

If you do keep her, let's see some before and after pics.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Chinook said:
A good pet is hard to find, keep it!! You can always get another wife. :wink:
This....keep that dog....you won't regret it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FWIW--Some of the best dogs in the world are the ones that find you.

Good luck--let us know what happens. Hopefully you are able to keep it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts