AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank God I only have one more semester, because I can't take these ripoff bookstores any longer. I had 6 classes left, so I decided to break em up between this summer and fall. I go in the bookstore today to sell back my 3 books, and they offer me $50. This was for $400 worth of books. :shock: I said hell no! I would rather throw them in the dumpster than let them use em for their racket. I'm so sick of selling my books for next to nothing just to have them turn around and re-sell them for what I paid.

I know, I could have been saving myself alot of trouble and money by buying them online, but hindsight is 20/20. Anyways-atleast now I've gotten to vent a little.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
You'd be amazed how much college you can get through not buying or reading the books.

BBA, UGA class of 2000

·
Registered
204 Posts
When I was an undergrad, I learned that lesson well. Waited until I needed a book to buy it. It was amazing how many I never bought. Law school was a different story, I needed pretty much every one. My last semester, I spend about $500 on books, and got about $37 back for the ones they would even take. At that point, I didn't care. The rest will become targets once I have a chance to go shooting again.

You can save money online, but I always thought that was a pain.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I hear ya. I just wrapped up a summer class only to be told they weren't buying back my book. Paid $90.00 for it too.

I have took at least two classes where the teacher didn't use a book from the book store. One was a speech class and the other was a calculus class. The teacher of the calculus class made up the material everyday. At the end of the semester, between his handouts and our notes, we had a pretty damn good book.

I hope that trend catches on.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Here's what I did when I was in school. I went to Half.com, eBay, Amazon, or wherever where I could find the book cheaper. If the "latest edition" was not available, I purchased books that were in the previous edition, or even two edition ago.

As part of the racket, they just arrange the info differently, and there is rarely if ever new info in there. When there actually was, I just borrowed a classmates, or made copies of their books.

In turn, I relist my textbooks on the same sites for cheap to give back to students smart enough not to pay those exorbitant fees for new editions that come out every 6 months. If they don't sell, I just keep them. There is no way I would sell it back to the bookstore and get humiliated for a "used" book that I didn't even take into the shitter with me.

I wish I wised up to it earlier during my "education".

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
I was a history major taking a "European Renaissance" history class taught by one of my history department head professor. His book list was a mile long with a general bound reference book that I bought but the other 14 books were public domain.

I held off on buying the 14 other books until I got the syllabus. As I thought, the reading of each of these other 14 books maybe at best only entailed a chapter or paragraph out of each book. Everybody else in the glass had gotten formal published copies while I just went to the internet and printed out just the paragraphs I needed and brought them to class as needed.

The professor about popped a gasket when he seen this. Now I was a late 20 something student on a GI bill and not a usual 19 year old college student afraid of the faculty's shadow at every turn. Anyway, I got back in this fuckers face and stood my ground on why I was not going to buy $300+ of books that were in the public domain only to read one chapter or paragraph.

Basically, I had to see head of the History Department and he tried to threaten me on not bringing "proper academic material" material to class. If you read between the lines of the conversation I had with him, it came down to that I was cheating the campus bookstore out of revenue and nothing else. In the end, I still won.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Yeah, I only bought what I needed. Traded with friends, kept the ones they only offered 5% buy back on. Tried like hell not to buy from the book store. I had it out with the dean as well a few times. They need to get put in their place at times. I took 21 hrs. in 10 weeks to graduate on time and the dean flat told me there was no way in hell he would let me graduate. I was told I could only take 12 hrs. in the summer. Any way, I told him to fuck off and I'd see him on stage. Got to tell him to kiss my ass on stage 10 weeks later. The look was priceless.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I know how you feel and I'm not even in school. I bought my wife's books this year as per the list, come to find out a month later the list was wrong. $200 worth of books she didn't need, $150 worth of books she didn't have yet, and since she opened the packaging we couldnt return them as new. To sell them back was $45 for books that never even broke the binder. For that deal I placed them on the bookshelf.

·
Registered
741 Posts
We use to keep our old books. Instead of selling them back to the bookstore I would sit outside the front of the bookstore with all of my old books piled up with a big "FOR SALE" sign. I would get about 60% back on what I initially paid. I guess that's better than the 15% you get selling them back to the campus bookstore.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You can get your moneys worth out of books and stick it to them.

If you buy a used book go make copies...there is a machine that is 5 cents a page...then return it :)

Check the library and stay on top and recheck the book.

Personally I don't have time for any of that, I usually just make evil remarks like "How do you sleep at night raping college students?" "Does that include KY Jelly?"

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
i used to find downloadable .pdf copies of books on newsgroups, and use the school printers to print the pages out(single sided, not double :twisted: ) next semester, there were printing limits per student AND teachers, and you had to use your card to swipe. bastards.

i never sell my books back, i figure the information isnt going to change in most of them. i mean really, how much has algebra changed in the last 100 years?

·
Registered
902 Posts
catsailer40 said:
i used to find downloadable .pdf copies of books on newsgroups, and use the school printers to print the pages out(single sided, not double :twisted: ) next semester, there were printing limits per student AND teachers, and you had to use your card to swipe. bastards.

i never sell my books back, i figure the information isnt going to change in most of them. i mean really, how much has algebra changed in the last 100 years?
I did that for a programming book they wouldn't let us have. Teacher gave it to us on .pdf so I made 2 copy's one for me and a friend. the liberarian was pissed, but oh well it was for class :twisted:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I always wait till I get the syllabus and actually ask the professor do we actually need this before I go out and buy a book.

Half the time I don't even buy them. Last year, my junior year, I only purchased 3 books and probably spent less than $100 total. I think doing that actually made me pay more attention during class because I had to having little to fall back on without a book.

Amazon.com is awesome btw, screw the bookstore. I stopped even trying to sell books back to them when they offered me $1 on a book I spent around $80 for, new.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
1. Go to bookstore

2. Find book

3. Copy ISBN (if not available Edition, Author, Publisher and Title)

4. Search Ebay/Google

5. Buy international edition for 50% less.

6. Profit!

G

·
0 Posts
Sell all your used books on Half.com. You will ALWAYS make more return there than selling them back to the bookstore. I just wish the girl who told me about Half.com didn't tell me about it during the last semester of my B.A. :evil:

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
catsailer40 said:
.......... i mean really, how much has algebra changed in the last 100 years?

None!

The other side of this racket is that many professors push the books written either by themselves or academic colleagues.

For professors to make tenure, the path is to be "published". This puts a feather in the cap of the University to point and say "we have X amount of published faculty on our staff", which in turns helps with the endowments and grants these universities get.

One semester, I had to take a core requirement economics class that was during a summer session. The professor made us buy this book that was only available at one store and was basically a KINKO's spiral bound bound copy for $80. Of course it was the prepublished addition the professor had wrote and the hard bound edition was not due out this fall. Needles to say, the spiral copy was worthless for buyback.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I hear you on the unused books comments. You can get through some undergraduate classes by showing up, taking notes, and looking at the course syllabus.

Community college is a much better deal, some of them offer 90 credit hours towards your degree. I did my undergraduate work all at a university, but I really wish I had done my first 60 credit hours at community college. It's cheap, about 1/10 to 1/20 the cost. The University will just use adjunct professors who work full time over at the community college to teach basic classes anyway.

If you want a headache, just think about how many years people sit through math in high school. Yet most people can't convert MPH (or Meters Per Second) to FPS if pressed. That's real basic, and about the highest real world application of math that I can remember doing.

I wonder how much money is wasted on teaching highschool math to people that A) don't learn it and B) won't apply most of what they learn, should they learn it. Mathematics got us to the moon, now the waste probably eats up more than several Mars missions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts