AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I didn't kill him/her/it.

I opened the door, took a stick, got most of the web with it in it and moved it to the bushes next to the door, next to the light that attracts the moths at night.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I believe they are also known as writing spiders. Very cool webs.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Looks like it could make your leg rot off, but it's harmless. Catch grasshoppers and throw them in the web. It's better than TV!

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SwannyJ said:
Looks like it could make your leg rot off, but it's harmless.
Thanks. It DOES look like something that I sure as hell wouldn't want to get bit by, but after just reading up a little on them, no worries.

I have to fight black widow spiders several times a week at my job, makes me a little jumpy.

I know that around my area I really only have to watch out for Brown Recluse spiders and Black Widows, but still........ :cool:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Seeing that spider for the first time is a sight for sure... I lived with my grandparents throughout most of my childhood and they were all around our fields. When I was about 10 I was hiking through a waist high field and walked right through a web... had the spider hanging on to my crotch... took my knife out and safety flicked the spider off without hurting it... when I first looked down... :shock: even knowing what type of spider it was.

Those Recluse and Widow spiders SUCK... they aren't very common around here. They can be sneaky SOB's. Having to work around either would make me jumpy too!

·
Registered
22,264 Posts
Kenelm52 said:
When I was about 10 I was hiking through a waist high field and walked right through a web... had the spider hanging on to my crotch... took my knife out and safety flicked the spider off without hurting it... when I first looked down... :shock: even knowing what type of spider it was.
...that's one of the few times in life where screaming like a little girl is excusable...ANY kind of spider clinging onto one's crotch is a :shock: moment...

but to use a *knife* to flick it away??!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
10Gauge said:
Kenelm52 said:
When I was about 10 I was hiking through a waist high field and walked right through a web... had the spider hanging on to my crotch... took my knife out and safety flicked the spider off without hurting it... when I first looked down... :shock: even knowing what type of spider it was.
...that's one of the few times in life where screaming like a little girl is excusable...ANY kind of spider clinging onto one's crotch is a :shock: moment...

:grin:

Hey, what's wrong with that?! Doesn't make me sound :gay:, does it?

At the time, I wasn't too keen on picking the spider up with my hand... and my knife was all I had on me... :cool: :oops:

·
Registered
399 Posts
If i opened my door and saw that i know EXACTLY what kind of spider it would ...DEAD!!
Hate those damn things-been shot once-stabbed twice and that pic bothers me more.
Creepy friggin things.Have and damn black and orange monster run up your leg when your about 11 or so when your fishing--i didnt flick a damn thing i jumped in the river.

·
Registered
214 Posts
gahh! I hate spiders!

Ever seen eight-legged freaks? Yeah. Hit it with something/shoot it with a 12 ga just to make sure it is dead!

·
Registered
22,264 Posts
Kenelm52 said:
10Gauge said:
Kenelm52 said:

:grin:

Hey, what's wrong with that?! Doesn't make me sound :gay:, does it?

At the time, I wasn't too keen on picking the spider up with my hand... and my knife was all I had on me... :cool: :oops:
Knife + groin proximity = :shock: :eek: :confused:

just sayin'

·
Registered
97 Posts
We used to feed grasshoppers to one of those at a dropzone in Arkansas. Like Kenelm52 said, throw an insect in there and watch em feed!

WAY better than TV.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
HOLY SHIT!!!! Harmless or not, I am gonna have fuckin' nightmares! Thanks alot Tim.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
It's a common garden spider...They are cool.

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
446 Posts
yup, when we were kids we used to see who could raise the biggest one. cool to watch em tear up a grass hopper. :grin:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Those are great spider to have around the outside of a house. They kill other little pesky insects. The great thing about them is that they stay outside. I have never seen them inside a house unless transported into the house by a human. If they do bite, they are harmless. Many professional gardeners would love to have that spider in their garden. As Guy Fawkes said, most people in GA call them writing spiders: http://greennature.com/gallery/spider-p ... erets.html .
As Kenelm52 said, they are Argiope spiders, but it is easier for me to say writing spider. I knew an old lady that would talk to the one she had in her bushes.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
That's a "BUFF" - Big Ugly Fat Fucker... :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts