AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I understand what all your avitars and sig lines mean. That is all.

Oh yeah....

WOLVERINES!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
HELL, YEAH!!! LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!

Red Dawn is an American Classic...a possible scenario during the Cold War when it was made

Kind of helped to open my eyes and spur my interest in "Evil Rifles"... :twisted:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
762BODYDROPPER said:
Did you grow up in a cave? I thought that movie was a prerequisite for owning an AK
Nope, the 1990's; close enough.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
762BODYDROPPER said:
Did you grow up in a cave? I thought that movie was a prerequisite for owning an AK
That one, and also Red Scorpion with Dolph Lundgren.......

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Red Dawn was the first movie that both got people interested in owning AK's en masse in America, and suppsedly single-handedly gave inspiration to the militia movement.

Trivia:

It was the first movie rated PG-13.
It was filmed in Las Vegas, New Mexico, a town about three hours drive from me.

The RPK machine gun featured in the film was actually a thumbhole-stocked Valmet. This was LOOOONG before any gun bans required thumbhole stocks.

The "Russian" AKM's were actually pre-ban Maadis. Very few were converted to full auto. Most of the guns in the film were semi-auto guns right off the shelf. Only if the gun needed to be shown FIRING in full auto was one of the few converted guns used. These converted Maadis are prized collectors' items now, changing hands for King's Ransoms. As they were converted prior to 1986 when the laws on transferable full autos were changed, they represent some of the last AK-type weapons that were converted and remain fully transferable.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I remember after I saw that show as a kid "training" down by the river with my buddies and our 22s for the coming Soviet invasion!!! :lol:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also found out Im a member of an "elite para-military organization"

:animak:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
No1Here said:
http://avtomats-in-action.com/pro16.html

Some background on the AK's used in Red Dawn.

During my search back during my initial AKSU build, I wanted a "legal" folder so pre-ban AKM receiver was my goal.

Was I going to buy an exspensive mint pre-ban Hungy or Steyr and chop it just to get the receiver? Hell no so I started my search and I ended up at Long Mountain who was the broker for all the Red Dawn Maadis.

After contacting them and telling them my plan for the receiver I was able to secure the absolute worst conditioned one that was still very mechanically sound. I swear every scene a AKM was dropped, this rifle had to been the example used.

Once I had secured my Red Dawn Maadi on 01/03/2001 , I then told the "network" where they could get them, Tantal being one of the guys.

You can read up about them and which S/N weapons they had...mine being S/N 1586

http://www.longmountain.com/movieguns/RedDawn

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Red Scorpion.....still need to get that one on DVD...remember that was the first movie I saw on TV in my house when I first moved out of my parents house...

Red Dawn...man I must have been I don't know what age when I first saw that......( and no I am not as ancient as Templar :twisted: )

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
I was in the 82nd when that came out. Saw it in the theater on Post.

I remember the guys laughing at it. It was all in good fun, but the idea of the Soviets invading us was ludicrous, even then.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
No it isn't one of the best movies ever. But some movies have some memory attached to them....

You'll have those too one day.... :twisted: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I remember seeing Red Dawn in the theater when it first came out. I'm almost afraid to watch it again, in case it is not as good as I remember it being back then!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Red Dawn is watched so often in my house, my wife and kids now memorized lines from the movie. That one, and all the others, I am a war movie junkie.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a photo of an Egyption AKM used in Red Dawn on my website thanks to Rsilvers....its been refinished and restocked and still full auto...beautiful gun....go to "RED Dawn" link on my website.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts