AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get a small laptop for email & net access while traveling. I bought an ASUS Eee because of the 'perceived' durability of the flash drive over a typical HHD. Built in wifi & a bunch of empty slots for expansion. Plus, it's stupidly small. Boots up in seconds (no Windows).

Also, a Verizon USB Broadband card, because Verizon bought Alltel (very happy w/ Alltel, service everywhere including small towns), I figured coverage would be more than adequate.

Well, the Eee uses Linux which I've never used. So far, I hate it. It might as well be Fortran or Cobol. I can't get it to access or use anything plugged into the USB ports. Not the BB card, neither will it receive from my Motorola modem. When testing, the computer knows the device is plugged in, it just doesn't use them. The bad thing is, on the Eee user sites, guys are supposedly plugging in Verizon cards, manually instructing the computer to 'dial the cdma device' & hey! it works. Not in my neighborhood.

I figure, if I have to switch OS from Linux to Windows, I'd rather take it back & buy a Toshiba or an HP (for twice the $$) & be done with it. All I want is internet & email on the go, at "no-waiting" speed & a screen big enough to see it on.

My other half thinks it's cute because of the size & keeps suggesting me trying things that she really has no clue about, in order for me to keep it. If it doesn't work for me, when I want it to, I don't need it.

Oh, the Verizon card works in my desktop, seems as fast as my cable. & I'm 25 miles from anywhere (in GA) & 15 miles from Alabama. 1 traffic light in the whole county, it's pretty remote. Think Mayberry RFD......

Time to unwind & forget about it until I take it back.......

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Yeah Linux is an acquired taste you either love or hate it.

Honestly major brand laptops have fallen in price so much for another 100 to 200 dollars you can be into the standard laptop category. My father just recently purchased a 400 dollar toshiba laptop from walmart, it runs Vista... But it did come with a 2 Gig Ram, and a 120 gig HD so far it runs great and he enjoys it.

If you stick with the Eee get the XP version though.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
JaketheSnake said:
Yeah Linux is an acquired taste you either love or hate it.

Honestly major brand laptops have fallen in price so much for another 100 to 200 dollars you can be into the standard laptop category. My father just recently purchased a 400 dollar toshiba laptop from walmart, it runs Vista... But it did come with a 2 Gig Ram, and a 120 gig HD so far it runs great and he enjoys it.

+1 I would get another Laptop or the XP version!

T :wink:

·
Registered
626 Posts
the EEE is a great platform for what its is, but due its small SSD drive its limited in space. there are two things you can do, buy a bigger SSD and install xp or vista, or you can search for the trimmed version of XP or vista. both of which are the core programs without all the bells and whistles.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
JaketheSnake said:
and get 1/4 the battery life and 80000x the malware and viruses.

I'll bet the OP hasn't been to the support groups for his flavor of linux yet.

There are hundreds of users at ubuntuforums.org, for instance, that use the verizon/alltel air cards.

The neat thing is: the same command works for all hardware to get it running.

IOW

Instructions to get the air card running in a Dell or a Toshiba that run linux are the same as for your EEE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts