AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked one of the worst times in history to decide to buy an AK-47. Having said that, I am thinking about getting a WASR from Atlantic Firearms, then sending it in for the Rifle Dynamics WASR Upgrade. I want a super-reliable rifle that always goes bang when I pull the trigger that I could use for personal defense if SHTF. Is this a good choice or are there better options out there right now?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My WASR has gone bang about 6K times without the need for an "upgrade". It failed to fire once due to a defective cartridge.
So long as the rifle is properly assembled you may expect the same results if you maintain it and use good magazines. If you were to get one which isn't properly assembled your chosen vendor will make it right.

·
Registered
21,745 Posts
ACMcom pretty much nailed it dead center.

"WASR Upgrades" = taking your fucking money... I just looked into it and HOLY FUCKING SHIT! $600 for that service are you fucking kidding?!?

Not just no but fuck no. You will NEVER get that back in resale. Mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe during a panic.. Maybe.

*ETA* I see you haven't jumped yet. Good. You can still get a LOT of rifle for the money you were talking. Yeah you didn't pick a great time to take the plunge, but it could be worse.

If you're going to stay budget minded, get one that's been inspected.

AK 47 Rifle WASR 10 7.62x39mm QC INSPECTED

if you're going to go with a "this might have to defend my ass some day" and you're willing to spend extra for a really good rifle.. "Buy nice or buy twice" and all that.. definitely do some research. Factory builds like Arsenal or good quality builders like Piece Of History firearms are pretty solid.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I agree with 10Gauge, there is no way I would spen $600 for the little work they are doing. For the money you would be spending on the WASR and upgrades I would just get an arsenal, or the WASR and a couple of cases of ammo.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I-ve had a wasr before. it shot great, never a malfunction but it had terribly canted sights and other issues. for the money you are spending you could probably get an arsenal. enjoy your new ak

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a wasr now and have had ZERO problems with it. Sights were perfect too. It will shoot and keep shooting as long as you feed it. Don't waste the money trying to "upgrade" it. If that's what you want then invest the money in a different AK but a wasr will do just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,745 Posts
What is actually "upgraded"?
Their bank account

I mean..

• Sandblast and parkerize all metal
  • Krebs retainer plate
  • G-2 fitting
  • Fix canted sights/ gas blocks
  • Fit Safety, Bolt/bolt carrier, Mag catch*
  • Dehorn
  • Pin gas piston
  • Test/ correct headspace
  • Fuller rear sight mod - upgraded AK iron sights
  • Testfire and zero

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Don't get a WASR if you're immediately going to turn around and send it in for a $600 'upgrade'. Start out with a top of the line rifle first, or take the WASR for what it is.

·
Registered
890 Posts
As the owner of 3 WASR-10 rifles and having formerly owned 2 more and a Draco, I personally can think of only 4 "upgrades" a clean and functional WASR with fairly straight sights needs:

1. As much ammo as you can afford. A couple pallets full would be nice.

2. As many different size and style original Euro Comblock or Chinese magazines as you can find.

3. More AK rifles - different variations and models, both original factory production and top quality builds of stuff that is otherwise unobtainable. Romanian, Hungarian, Russian, East German, Bulgarian, Chinese, Egyptian, etc.

4. From a more aesthetic rather than purely functional point of view, replace as many as you can of the "drop to your knees, drop your pants, spread your buttcheeks, and suck Uncle Scam's dirty, greasy, diseased, putrid schlong while the insane hateful disciples of Karl Marx pound you up the backside and slap your ass screaming "take it all, bitch! "....er,... I mean,.....of the U.S. made parts desecrating and defiling an otherwise nice Romanian rifle with correct original items.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Atlantic has gunsmiths that check over their WASR's and all of the Century stuff these days to fix/make sure everything works right. Buy from them and it should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
1. As much ammo as you can afford. A couple pallets full would be nice.
Having taught more than a few people to shoot more than a few weapons (including AKs), IME firing a few thousand cartridges through any weapon will improve the shooter's probability of making hits with the weapon even under adverse conditions ...

·
Registered
21,745 Posts
Having taught more than a few people to shoot more than a few weapons (including AKs), IME firing a few thousand cartridges through any weapon will improve the shooter's probability of making hits with the weapon even under adverse conditions ...
Do you mean practice or accuracy through volume? :goof:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Unless there is something terribly wrong with it, buy a 10$ retainer plate and if you dont like the trigger buy a red star arms adjustable trigger kit, and shoot the hell out of it. Fuller may be a excellent gunsmith but 600$ for that is [email protected]@&ing crazy

·
Registered
298 Posts
As long as everything is straight…. spend that money on ammo or put that $600 towards a better gun. If it isn't straight send it back for a different one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts