AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally wanted to get a romy or bulg 47 and make it look like a 74. But then decided i'd rather go cheap and get something I can abuse. I got on aimsurplus today and saw that they have the 5.45 1080 rounds for 120! Thats alot cheaper than the 700 rounds of 7.62 that I bought last month. Will the 5.45 rounds be harder to find later on? Or is what i've seen on it drying up just hearsay? My main question is would I be better off getting the wasr in 5.45 or the wasr in 7.62. I know WASR's are hit and miss but are the 5.45 wasrs more problematic?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody?

Simplified, are the 5.45 WASR's more problematic than the regular 7.62's?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
-Todd- said:
Anybody?

From my perspective, yes. Some odd things with the ones I have seen and had the luxory (translate agony) of working on.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
phreakmode said:
-Todd- said:
Anybody?

From my perspective, yes. Some odd things with the ones I have seen and had the luxory (translate agony) of working on.

Thanks for answering. I guess i'll just stick with the 7.62 caliber.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well I like both! 7.62X.39 being my favorite.
But I just recently picked up a cheap single stack WASR2 5.45X.39. I turned it into a double stack the next day. With zero mag wobble.
This was done by using calipers on the mag and then milling the mag well out to the mag width dimention. The little metal "tabs" on the inside of the mag well were milled out to the same dimention as well. This created a tight fit on the inner tabs (like the dimples would serve) and on the opening of the mag well itself. When I get a chance, I will post what that dimention was. I cannot remember what is was off hand. But I will get the calipers out and check.
Back to the subject. 5.45X.39 is cheap, the savings alone will pay for the rifle by itself, if you shoot alot.
I tend to baby my rare or expensive AK's, but the WASR2 I can justify running it through the mill :wink: . Just my 2 cents. Take care, glocklon

·
Registered
43 Posts
Only have wasr-10 and a wasr-3 but a sar-1&2, they all have their good points and bad. If you could get a sar over a wasr, I might pick the 2. If its your first, get the 10. Just think everyone needs a basic ak.

·
Registered
261 Posts
they both are great. but from what I have seen and read, there are alot less problems with akm vs ak74. and I have not heard of any problems with 7.62 ammo either, when there have been many comments about 5.45 ammo probs.

each has its own advantages. I am working on adding/building my first ak74. but I still think, the akm is the way to go for a first rifle/build and or purchase. plus you can find the ammo anywhere!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi, first post but I've been lurking for a while.

I have a WASR 10, and it is a good one. But I am curious about the 5.45 round -- is it underpowered? Is it comparable to the 5.56? I know the 5.45 is smaller in both diameter and length, just wondering about much of a punch it packs. thanks

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
BladeGunner said:
Hi, first post but I've been lurking for a while.
Well by all means--welcome. :grin:

I have a WASR 10, and it is a good one. But I am curious about the 5.45 round -- is it underpowered? Is it comparable to the 5.56? I know the 5.45 is smaller in both diameter and length, just wondering about much of a punch it packs. thanks
There's a great thread with lots of info about the 5.45x39 round:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1346

Enjoy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts