AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the BDM beta mag in the mail this afternoon and couldn’t wait to take it out. I grabbed the ammo I had available and headed to the range.

The first thing I noticed is that the mag fit is very tight, but it WILL fit. It rubs against the front of the magwell area right before the magwell begins to taper. The pictures shows the area that rubs. The repeated process of taking the mag out and putting it back in scraped away material and made the magazine noticeably easier to take out and put in. Because of the tight fit, there was no mag wobble.

BHO:

On to the testing. Most of the testing was done with the Federal Value Pack 36 grain hollowpoints that come in a red box. It is what I usually shoot through my .22’s and what I had immediately available. I also had a some CCI Velocitors and Remington Yellow Jacket HP’s sitting around so I brought them along as well.

The magazine was pretty easy to load up until about 20 or so rounds. After that, it becomes a bit more challenging. The first ten magazines were loaded with the Federal ammo. Out of the ten magazines, I only had one malfunction that was magazine related. It was a failure to feed. The bullet hit the bottom of the chamber wall.

The CCI Velocitor and Remington Yellow Jackets didn’t fare quite as well as the Federal. I went through two magazines of the Velocitor and had 4 failures to feed. I only went through one magazine of the Yellow Jackets and had 8 failures to feed. All of the failures to feed were the same.

Some of the Yellow Jackets:

Left to right: Velocitor, Federal HP, Yellow Jacket

Although this was a short test, it seems that the nose of the flat faced hollowpoint bullets may not be raised high enough to clear the bottom of the chamber wall. While those were the only magazine related malfunctions, I experience a few stoppages with the federal due to the empty casing falling back into the gun. When I have more time available, I am going to try to get more of a variety of ammo, especially some solid, round nose ammo and put more rounds through the magazine.

*UPDATE: I tried some of the Remington Golden Bullet 550 rd box stuff and also some CCI Stingers. Both are hollowpoint, but have a roundish nose. There were NO feeding problems at all. The Remingtons are also hotter and eliminated the problem of shells falling into the gun. Stingers were a blast. With the sights set at 100m, I was hitting a sheep silloute out at 200 yds! I think these mags are ready to rock.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Anyone have any updates on when they'll be available? I think we've busted the "couple of weeks" estimate by months.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
davehal9000 said:
Anyone have any updates on when they'll be available? I think we've busted the "couple of weeks" estimate by months.
I believe he said there are 100 or so that are avaliable immediately.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
davehal9000 said:
heres a quote from arfcom on the topic:

blackdogmachine said:
Posted :: Today 2:55:39 PM EDT

If you guys are happy with the beta results and dont mind a snug fit, the hundred I have can go out the door anytime. Liek I said, I didnt see anything that needed changed but the fit.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Anyone have a link?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update added to bottom of original post...

the mags are available NOW. Give BDM a call or shoot em an email.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Our website is downat the moment so give us a call anytime 208-585-6581

·
Registered
139 Posts
I guess there are good ones and bad ones, I must of got lucky because I got 2 good ones. The only thing I did is add a chamber edge break, this
helps the feeding tremendously. I feel a lot of the OOBD's are from the round not going into the chamber (swelled case or tip, nose catching on the chambers sharp edge) and going off with accordian like smashing action. I do know the edge break was the ticket and I would strongly recomend it be done.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I had my "bolt" blow apart on mine, but as stated above I tried to treat it like a dirty M-16 and "force" rounds to chamber. I made the mistake of grabbing cheap Walmart HPs and didn't realize it until I got to the range. I had very few problems with them, but in one case I tried to ride the bolt forward to chamber a round, and that's when the works flew apart.

That said, I've got the rebuild parts at home waiting for me, and will have the Black Dog mags there as well. With the proper rounds I have zero concerns about the safety of this rifle. I love it, and if I somehow "lost' it, i'd buy another in a heartbeat. Great way to break my kids into shooting the real thing, a HELL of a lot cheaper than shooting a real AK, and just plain fun.

·
Registered
340 Posts
davehal9000 where did you get your parts to repair your rifle? I bought a parts gun (missing parts) and never could find any spare parts and ended up building an extractor. It seems the quality control is not as good on the Romanian WASR 22 and AKT-98 as a lot of Americans are accustomed to with US manufactured guns. I still think the Cugir WASR 22 and AKT-98 are better than the other AK 22's on the market. The BDM Magazines for these guns is going to be a big plus. Its my understanding Century is doing warranty work on the WASR 22 whereas SOG is not supporting the AKT-98 (which SOG imported).

With my particular rifle I've had several issues I worked through. I've had trouble with the rifle firing multiple times on one trigger pull and out of battery ignitions (OOB). This is certainly not good but I haven't given up on making this gun work. When I got the rifle I realized I got someone else problem but I didn't feel comfortable sending it back. When I've had OOB it would blow out the extractor. The replacement extractor we built is held by a retaining pin. This extractor has survived several OOB with no damage. I've also had OOB in AR 15 dedicated uppers and conversion kits. Fortunately I've never been injured but its very important to wear hearing protection and safety glasses when shooting these guns. This is even more important if your shooting left handed. You may not think a 22 lr is loud but an OOB is a lot louder.

I think the WASR 22 are a viable option for someone wanting to shoot an AK style rifle cheaper than the current center fire AK's. With Century doing warranty work I think they are worth the money. I've got the new BDM mags for the WASR 22 and they are very good mags. These mags seem to be a lot better than the factory SOG 10 round magazine.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
What part of IL are you in?

I got my parts from Century. No hasstles in getting them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I called Century and I made the mistake telling them I had an AKT-98. They told me they only had parts for warranty work on guns distributed by them. When We saw what was happening with the factory designed extractor being blown out is when my Father in Law came up with the modified designed extractor. I live in southeaster Illinois next to the Indiana border. In the vicinity of Evansville Indiana.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts