AK Rifles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Technical Advisor
15,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own only one WASR (WASR 2) type rifle. The rest are home builds. I did notice the other day that the serial number is on the trunnion only and not the receiver. Is this tghe norm for how these rifles are serialized? Somehow I though the receiver was the home for the US serial number.??

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
On imported rifles, the serialized trunnion is considered part of the receiver and is forever mated as one assembly. You can not legally separate the two.

Domestic manufactured receivers do not have this limitation and are just serialized on the receiver itself.

Back in the 1994-2004 AWB days, people had fits with this issue when they tried to build kits on imported prebans like the Chinese and MAADI rifles. They ran into the issue of not being “legally” able to remove the trunnion to allow the kit trunnion installed and the serial number moved to the stamped portion of the receiver. Legally, only the original manufacturer and/or importer could move the serial number and only with a written approved variance from the ATF. Since many of the importers have come and gone and the physical maker of the rifle is overseas, it was not plausible for people to do this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts