AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am definitely a new member and for sure need some help with my wasr 10/63 GP. My problem started about a week ago, I purchased a Midwest Industries side rail optic mount and i slapped the only thing that i had on hand with me which was the Romeo 5 red dot sight. This sight has been proven, I have used it on a few ars and i was smacking steel at 200 yards with it, no problem whatsoever. At first, i thought it was the ammo I was using, I had recently switched because the massive shortage due to our wonderful corona pandemic. The ammo i purchased was 122 gr Tulammo fmj and my groups with it were insane even at 25 yards (3 inches or more) while i was using the romeo 5. so i grabbed some of my silver bear soft points and the group became much tighter like less than an inch at 75 yards, but one bullet would go way off from my group and by way off i mean 1-2 feet at 75 yards. Then i shot another group and this time my Magpul pistol grip became extremely loose so i figured that was the root of my problem (also while I am on the subject of the Magpul grip has anyone ever had a problem with them coming loose?) so I tightened it to the best of my ability and began to shoot again and my grouping got even better about 1.5- 2 inches at 75 yards. I then called it good and went to shoot at my 10 inch steel plate at 230 yards and i could not hit the broad side of a barn. Switched back to the paper and it was all over the place again. So i was extremely agitated, took the rail off and shot in the kneeling position with a mag grip and nailed the steel with my KNS precision bead front sight at 200 yards just constantly. I even switched back to my Tula ammo and same thing, even off hand at 230 yards with very few misses. I proceeded to throw my side rail back on and i tested it in every way i could, made sure it was tightly clamped on the side of my ak, made sure the optic was good and secure, then i started pushing on the mount and noticed with a little bit of force my mount on the ak itself was slightly moving side to side when pressed, but it returned to the exact same position each time i moved it, i mean I've seen people do push ups on these and really put the pressure on them (side rails with optics attached) and they still hold zero well. The only thing i can think of is its the optic itself. i mean i used to have a posp-1 scope on my ak and it held zero well. I'm really stumped as to what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am definitely a new member and for sure need some help with my wasr 10/63 GP. My problem started about a week ago, I purchased a Midwest Industries side rail optic mount and i slapped the only thing that i had on hand with me which was the Romeo 5 red dot sight. This sight has been proven, I have used it on a few ars and i was smacking steel at 200 yards with it, no problem whatsoever. At first, i thought it was the ammo I was using, I had recently switched because the massive shortage due to our wonderful corona pandemic. The ammo i purchased was 122 gr Tulammo fmj and my groups with it were insane even at 25 yards (3 inches or more) while i was using the romeo 5. so i grabbed some of my silver bear soft points and the group became much tighter like less than an inch at 75 yards, but one bullet would go way off from my group and by way off i mean 1-2 feet at 75 yards. Then i shot another group and this time my Magpul pistol grip became extremely loose so i figured that was the root of my problem (also while I am on the subject of the Magpul grip has anyone ever had a problem with them coming loose?) so I tightened it to the best of my ability and began to shoot again and my grouping got even better about 1.5- 2 inches at 75 yards. I then called it good and went to shoot at my 10 inch steel plate at 230 yards and i could not hit the broad side of a barn. Switched back to the paper and it was all over the place again. So i was extremely agitated, took the rail off and shot in the kneeling position with a mag grip and nailed the steel with my KNS precision bead front sight at 200 yards just constantly. I even switched back to my Tula ammo and same thing, even off hand at 230 yards with very few misses. I proceeded to throw my side rail back on and i tested it in every way i could, made sure it was tightly clamped on the side of my ak, made sure the optic was good and secure, then i started pushing on the mount and noticed with a little bit of force my mount on the ak itself was slightly moving side to side when pressed, but it returned to the exact same position each time i moved it, i mean I've seen people do push ups on these and really put the pressure on them (side rails with optics attached) and they still hold zero well. The only thing i can think of is its the optic itself. i mean i used to have a posp-1 scope on my ak and it held zero well. I'm really stumped as to what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Get a string line or a square and make sure the center of the rail is in the center of the barrel. My new wasr the center was off and i ended up getting a ultimak tube. Here is a picture of how far off mine is.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You probably need to put on and take off that rail a few times until the coating wears off.
Usually those things become loose and you have stop sign size groups.
Make sure it stays tight using a marker (witness) to verify the rail is on tight or not.

If that doesn't take care of it, try a different optic and see the results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You probably need to put on and take off that rail a few times until the coating wears off.
Usually those things become loose and you have stop sign size groups.
Make sure it stays tight using a marker (witness) to verify the rail is on tight or not.

If that doesn't take care of it, try a different optic and see the results.
The problem is fixed, i tightened the side mount down really tight and that seemed to fix the problem, just makes it harder to take it off for cleaning but that's ok as long as it holds zero. Thanks for the help!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts