AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasr 10/63 bolt carrier sticking at the end of travel

So I finally got to put a few rounds through my WASR that I've had since September. I chambered a round and the carrier wouldn't go all the way in by just releasing it. You had to push it in the final 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Sometimes the bolt carrier would go all the way without any help, and sometimes it needed assistance.

Last night I took things apart to see If I could see what was going on. It appears that my Bolt is locking in every time and the carrier is getting hung up in the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch of its travel. Even with the bolt removed, it gets hung up.

I've read about the carrier getting hung up on the hammer, is there anything else that would stick it? I don't see anything obvious just yet, just wondering if anyone else has seen stuff like this?

Funny thing, I don't think it was doing this till i chambered that first round.

Initial accuracy seems pretty good for this rifle.

Thanks for any help. I searched around a bit and didn't find anything that seemed to relate to this problem. I hope its ok to post it here.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Take the top cover off and see if it still hangs up - I had a Draco, which is basically the same as a short barreled WASR with no buttstock - that was doing this, and it was the right side of the top cover at the front making contact with the carrier. Also check to make sure the bolt carrier handle isn't rubbing on the top cover.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It definitely isn't the hammer catching it, as the carrier is past the hammer at the last 1/2- 1/4" of close... My RPK was doing this but only with a round in the chamber. But if yours is doing this with no bolt even, I would think the carrier or piston is dragging on something. I hear WASR's have the piston welded to the carrier which makes it stiff with no play. AK's are designed to have a little wiggle in the piston. If you gas block is slightly canted left or right and the piston is not allowed to make up for it by having some play, that could be the source of the dragging. Also if the rear sight block is canted the carrier could be dragging on the walls of that... Just a few ideas......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your receiver rails could not be lined up. A little tap on the inside right side wall of the receiver lines up the rails. Tap gently at the point where it's sticking. The second thing I did was to polish the wedge part of the hammer, this is where the bolt was getting caught. I smoothed out the wedge ramps on both sides of the hammer and now my action is " smooth like butter".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts