AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always here this argument alot on places and the people that tell me it never have any facts to back it up. The internals of the AK are completely different, the AK has a rotating bolt while the STG44 has a tilting bolt, the STG44 has a lower and upper reciever like a M16 while the AK47 just has a one part reciever. What say you about this?

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
"Copied,"... no. "Inspired by,"... more than likely. I believe it's mentioned somewhere that Mikhail Kalashnikov once stated he received inspiration for his design from various weapons of the era. Certainly some of the foremost weapons inventors (John Browning, etc.) were inspired by the study of past and present weapons of their time.

Kalashnikov had numerous German and US weapons to study in Russia and you can see where his inspiration derived from simply looking at the Kalashnikov rifle - such as the folding metal buttstock of the AKS (similar to that of the MP-38/40); curved rifle magazine (similar to that of the STG-44); etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
Another thing people forget is that Mr. Kalashnikov did not get the design right out of the gate. Comparing his first rifle #1 in 1946 and the final AKM design fielded in 1959 was a 13 year time span. In that time frame, he had his own design bureau with many other properly degree engineers figuring out the bugs and fixes under his direction.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rayman1 said:
"Copied,"... no. "Inspired by,"... more than likely. I believe it's mentioned somewhere that Mikhail Kalashnikov once stated he received inspiration for his design from various weapons of the era. Certainly some of the foremost weapons inventors (John Browning, etc.) were inspired by the study of past and present weapons of their time.

Kalashnikov had numerous German and US weapons to study in Russia and you can see where his inspiration derived from simply looking at the Kalashnikov rifle - such as the folding metal buttstock of the AKS (similar to that of the MP-38/40); curved rifle magazine (similar to that of the STG-44); etc.
I think the buttstock from the AKS likely came from the PPSH43

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would agree with the previous assesment. He probably took what he thought was the best of all of the firearms that he could find.

I have handeled a stg44 the similaritys are uncanny. I say yes he took alot of design features. some say he took the the fire control selector from a winchester.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but doesn't his first attempt look a little like the Czech Vz 58 ??.......Hmmm.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
56type said:
Maybe it's just me, but doesn't his first attempt look a little like the Czech Vz 58 ??.......Hmmm.
Internally the AK series and the VZ58 are completely different AK= rotating bolt, VZ = tilting bolt. In fact, the FAL has more in common internally with the VZ58 than the AK does! :eek: :smile:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I remember watching something on tv? About the ak and how the stg 44 and several other rifles of the time were looked at for "inspiration", studied etc.

OT but how much do the stg 44 copies cost? Or do they even make copies of them? I've always wanted one, such a good looking rifle IMO.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Ermac said:
They sell STG44 in .22lr on some website for 2000 dollars. Basicly a gun with no recoil.

I heard that the people making the gsg 5 or whatever the mp5 clone was going to make a stg44 in .22lr, any word or new on this? (supposed to be in the $500 area)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
No, he was smarter than that. He had the original designer, his team, the guy who invented the MG42, and his team working on the AK-47. According to the last AK book written, he had his wife (graphic designer) working on it too.

Pimpin'

·
Registered
698 Posts
He stated that he studied the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine and put some of it into his design. He may have change / re engineered it to be simpler ( He did ) but the concept is the same. Mention there trigger groups also. He mention John Moses Browning in a high regards. WarDawg

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is often reported, but it was by no means copied.
There was some debate in an article I read a while back about how the russians may have copied the intermediate cartridge concept from the germans, as there were several similarities between the german 7.92 kurz cartridge and the russians developmental cartridges, but I'd personally say that the timing doesn't support this, that between the time the 7.92 kurz stuff showed up on the eastern front and the russians adopted their 7.62x39, there wasn't enough time for this to occur, so I'd call BS on this too.
"Iinspired by" may hold some truth, but just in a general concept for select fire assault rifle, but even then to a limited degree because the russians had already developed their intermediate cartridge, which is the basis of being able to have a select fire assault rifle to begin with.
Aside from both rifles being a long stroke piston rifle, and having sheet metal receivers, and a few other similarities which were also common to other rifles of the time, the differences end there. The basic construction and configuration, operating method (tilt lock vs rotating bolt, locking lugs), trigger design, and even the mfg methods used to build em, of the rifles are very different.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Gator Monroe said:
The German Kurz round was hotter/more powerfull than the 7.62x39 !
Actually, I recall reading somewhere that the Kurz was somewhat less powerful than the 7.62-namely by about 13%.

I suspect that Yelisarov and Symen derived their own cartrigde design from a earlier 7.75x40mm round by GeCo.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts