AK Rifles banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Good luck to him and to all those dealers selling grey market imports. Torch cut requirements are not a recent thing, and while it may be easy and worth it to get kits like those one at a time, once you really up the volume like we’ve seen it was only a matter of time before the squeeze came.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
This is an interesting question. If they claim that a single cut kit is contraband, they can do the same with any saw cut receiver as well since current law requires flame cut. I can't imagine that laws can be used in a retroactive manner like that, but I guess ATF can make anything possible.
There is no law that tells the legal requirements for destroying a receiver. These are made up regulations that have changed several times while the law they claim to be based upon has not changed at all. Words mean things. Don't validate their lawlessness. To you last point, a new or changed law can't be applied retroactively. The same is true for regulations. If either was true, then something that the ATF considered not a gun could become a gun without anyone doing anything to it.

·
Registered
AKM and AK-74 enthusiast
191 Posts
There is no law that tells the legal requirements for destroying a receiver. These are made up regulations that have changed several times while the law they claim to be based upon has not changed at all. Words mean things. Don't validate their lawlessness. To you last point, a new or changed law can't be applied retroactively. The same is true for regulations. If either was true, then something that the ATF considered not a gun could become a gun without anyone doing anything to it.
They count on mass-compliance to get away with enforcement. These "laws" will never change unless the group that vastly outnumbers the other realizes this and refuses to comply. The education system in this country has successfully brainwashed the masses to be compliant even if they don't agree with the "law". Yet the founders are revered as heroes for not complying...I'll never get the mental disconnect there, because I've never suffered from it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
They count on mass-compliance to get away with enforcement. These "laws" will never change unless the group that vastly outnumbers the other realizes this and refuses to comply. The education system in this country has successfully brainwashed the masses to be compliant even if they don't agree with the "law". Yet the founders are revered as heroes for not complying...I'll never get the mental disconnect there, because I've never suffered from it...
Don't depend on the NRA to help out.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You're correct, I should have said "regulations" and not "law". ATF is really bad at changing their regulations and rulings when it suits them, so there's really no way to know what's legal from day to day. Rulings can be reversed in a heartbeat, and you can never be sure that a ruling by one office will be recognized by another. This is why Trump called them a "rogue organization", they simply think that they can get away with anything because nobody has the balls to put a stop to their nonsense. The only way to get ATF straightened out is to fire everybody, shut it down and start over. Or even better: Leave it shut down. As things are going right now, they're nothing more than a political tool.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You're correct, I should have said "regulations" and not "law". ATF is really bad at changing their regulations and rulings when it suits them, so there's really no way to know what's legal from day to day. Rulings can be reversed in a heartbeat, and you can never be sure that a ruling by one office will be recognized by another. This is why Trump called them a "rogue organization", they simply think that they can get away with anything because nobody has the balls to put a stop to their nonsense. The only way to get ATF straightened out is to fire everybody, shut it down and start over. Or even better: Leave it shut down. As things are going right now, they're nothing more than a political tool.
Emphasis on ‘tool’…

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I think the FBI is nothing but a political organization any more along with almost every other agency. EPA, FBI, ATF, BLM (Bureau of Land Management), DOJ, DHS, CDC, NIAID, etc.. As far as I am concerned shut them all down permanently and do not replace them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm sorry, but every time I hear stories like this, all I can think is, "What a ridiculous fucking law." Hope he makes it out the other side relatively whole...Can't wait for the day the country either collapses, or these laws get deservedly abolished.
I doubt any of these cases will make it to court. The big question is what sort of plea deal the government will go for. The government doesn't like to have cases with questionable legal basis going in front of a judge who might be able to count past 10 with his shoes on.

On the other hand, when it comes to technical crimes like these, most US Attorneys seem to prefer to take a hard stance on otherwise-law-abiding citizens who really don't have much bargaining power unless they have the financial backing for a long court battle. Meanwhile those same US Attorneys rarely take real criminals to court over technical or status offenses, because they can trade those off for an easy win on the a crime that looks good on their scoreboard.

I'd still expect the cases to all go to plea deals, but I wouldn't be shocked if the government insisted on a felony in exchange for probation and loss of rights.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
On the other hand, when it comes to technical crimes like these, most US Attorneys seem to prefer to take a hard stance on otherwise-law-abiding citizens who really don't have much bargaining power unless they have the financial backing for a long court battle. Meanwhile those same US Attorneys rarely take real criminals to court over technical or status offenses, because they can trade those off for an easy win on the a crime that looks good on their scoreboard.
Nailed it! While people bemoan criminals getting of on technicalities, the vast majority of these prosecutors have no problem using all the resources of the federal government to prosecute a non-criminal on a government made up regulation that's loosely based on the law at best. I don't like either, but I'd say the latter is far worse.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Nailed it! While people bemoan criminals getting of on technicalities, the vast majority of these prosecutors have no problem using all the resources of the federal government to prosecute a non-criminal on a government made up regulation that's loosely based on the law at best. I don't like either, but I'd say the latter is far worse.
Government loves scaring people into compliance or into doing what they want you to do. Government may not be able to jail people but they can ruin people’s lives financially and/or ruin people’s reputation. Most people don’t have the money to fight a government with unlimited money.

So much for government being public servants, they are more like public masters. The government has entirely too much power. Government is suppose to fear its citizens, not citizens fear the government.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd don't believe the 30 people charged from GB sales in the last month.

There's different demill regulations depending on if the item is imported and demilled in a customs bonded warehouse (3 torch cuts) or currently in the USA (saw cut)..i.e. post sample.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Next they'll arrest machine shop owners with mills, lathes and sheet steel. They Could be making machine guns.
Read the new definition for frame or receiver. It basically says something like if you own mills/cnc or jigs and a 80% receiver your in possession of a unserialized firearm starting august 2022

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: alphabet

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Read the new definition for frame or receiver. It basically says something like if you own mills/cnc or jigs and a 80% receiver your in possession of a unserialized firearm starting august 2022
Even if that's the case, having an unserialized receiver that you made yourself isn't illegal.

Reactions: MLK

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you hear that 30 people have been charged? I heard he's the first or second person in US history to be charged with this. They are blowing things out of proportion. He did not have a single "MG". They labeled everything that looked like a MG as one to include LEGAL semis, replicas, and parts. He's getting shafted and needs the community to back him. Many of us dealt with him and he's a great dude. Only way to beat this is to go all in.

Share this and throw his legal defense a few bucks!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts