AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Vendor
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a urgent warning for all you out there buying kits: I just had a acquaintance of mine i've known for years, ex marine and a really nice guy, found out he was being charged with multiple counts of selling illegal MG's. He apparently sold several single saw cut guns on GB. and is being charged. If you possess ANY single cut kits, according to the govt. you are in illegal possession of a MG! Its not a Grey area of the law, there have been over 30 PPL charged in the last 30 days. Most thru GB or gun shows. Please dont you be "that" guy................................................

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. If these are single cut kits from way back when a single saw cut was fine for import then how can it be considered contraband. are there rules for destruction of receivers inside of the us or is it only for import into the US? If these were Post 86 that were destroyed and there is no law explaining the requirement for destruction then this may be a way to get a precedent for either side.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts

This one?
That guy is such a dangerous felon that his bond is $2,000.

There is more to a machine gun then just a receiver. What a stupid regulation. All gun control laws and regulations are illegal anyway. I wish a judge actually had the balls to say that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
gonogo, You're good with that one. Looks like a nice long front stub for a reweld if you get a rear trunnion and some repair plates. None of mine have had that extra cut up by the barrel pin. Make sure to weld up the slot in the right lower rail though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
its my understanding that even saw cut demils and the min of 3 seperate cuts, there has to be a section missing from the receiver, something like min of 2"...making it impossible to simply be welded back together.
That law has been in place for sometime.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Play with fire and you'll get burned. It sucks but this is why understanding and following the bureaucratic mandates is crucial.

Reactions: wingnut308

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
I'm sorry, but every time I hear stories like this, all I can think is, "What a ridiculous fucking law." Hope he makes it out the other side relatively whole...Can't wait for the day the country either collapses, or these laws get deservedly abolished.
its my understanding that even saw cut demils and the min of 3 seperate cuts, there has to be a section missing from the receiver, something like min of 2"...making it impossible to simply be welded back together.
That law has been in place for sometime.
Show me the law where it describes how a receiver is to be demilled. Note that I'm not talking about a regulation that the ATF created that's supposedly based upon the law, but the actual law.

The meat of the article says "but investigators say the part could be easily restored into an operational machine gun part." It's good that they're acknowledging that it's not a machine gun part as it sits. As for "easily restored into", if welding sheet metal falls in to that category then I suppose so. However, the vast majority of people wouldn't think so. If rewelding a single cut does qualify as easily restorable, then why doesn't rewelding three saw cuts or torch cuts? The point here is that the ATF itself just created out of whole cloth what it thinks is easily restorable without any criteria or data and then decided that it's a felony.
Firearms - Guides - Importation & Verification of Firearms - National Firearms Act Definitions - Machinegun | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (atf.gov)

It's awesome how they found "proceeds from illegal activity." In other words, they found money. Big deal.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Doesn't matter if it is law or not. The state has given government agencies the ability to write their own regulations and interpretations to be followed as law and we all have to just bend over. That's the administrative state.

Good luck fighting it in court. I am sure we all agree with you in principal, but it isn't the world we live in and hasn't been for some time.

·
Registered
AKM and AK-74 enthusiast
191 Posts
Doesn't matter if it is law or not. The state has given government agencies the ability to write their own regulations and interpretations to be followed as law and we all have to just bend over. That's the administrative state.

Good luck fighting it in court. I am sure we all agree with you in principal, but it isn't the world we live in and hasn't been for some time.
My problem is all of the senseless debate over imaginary and egregious rules, violating the very tool that should be used to stop it in the first place. Not enough people are willing to stand up to evil.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Show me the law where it describes how a receiver is to be demilled. Note that I'm not talking about a regulation that the ATF created that's supposedly based upon the law, but the actual law.
:ROFLMAO:
Law > Rule > Dictate > Mandate > Policy = Semantics - at this stage of the game, when even the US Constitution is deemed "not absolute" by the POTUS himself.

Good luck at your ATF criminal indictment, when you try to make the position, that any of the above do not apply to you, joe blow nobody, with equal measure.
Let us all know here we can subscribe to your newsletter, should be an interesting read.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Law > Rule > Dictate > Mandate > Policy = Semantics - at this stage of the game, when even the US Constitution is deemed "not absolute" by the POTUS himself.

Good luck at your ATF criminal indictment, when you try to make the position, that any of the above do not apply to you, joe blow nobody, with equal measure.
Let us all know here we can subscribe to your newsletter, should be an interesting read.
While what you are saying is the unfortunate reality of today, what he’s saying isn’t wrong. Gleefully siding with a corrupt instrument of tyrannical state power, certainly is.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts

I'm not at all advocating non-compliance with their regulations that don't reflect the actual law and often change when the law doesn't. It's prudent to avoid the government and its unlimited funds. I'm just pointing out that this guy didn't actually brake the law as written. In order to get a conviction, the government has to prove to a jury that he did break the law. Of course most people on a jury will automatically believe the claims of an ATF agent, but a competent defense attorney can provide a good defense with expert testimony. The really unfortunate part is that it will likely cause him financial ruin even if he is acquitted.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. If these are single cut kits from way back when a single saw cut was fine for import then how can it be considered contraband. are there rules for destruction of receivers inside of the us or is it only for import into the US? If these were Post 86 that were destroyed and there is no law explaining the requirement for destruction then this may be a way to get a precedent for either side.
This is an interesting question. If they claim that a single cut kit is contraband, they can do the same with any saw cut receiver as well since current law requires flame cut. I can't imagine that laws can be used in a retroactive manner like that, but I guess ATF can make anything possible.

By the way: It seems like this guy was in possession of other "items of interest", so I suspect that ATF has had this guy under surveillance for some time and was just waiting for a reason to raid him.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
The guy in the article yes, but from what Scotty is saying they are buying stuff off Gunbroker/gunshows.

It’s kinda scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 47 Posts