AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be posting a nooby question, I haven never owned a rifle in my life.

Found a guy selling a WASR-10 locally for a good price ($550) and I want to give it a shot.

I watched a few youtube videos and I can tell that the scope mounts look parallel. However, before I take the drive to check it out in person, how does the sight picture look to you guys? Appreciate it

IMG_5139.JPG IMG_5141.JPG

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Front sight looks can't left a little and the post is compensated for it by being drifted to the right a little. At least that's how it looks from a picture on my phone screen. Could just as well be the angle or size of picture or both.

If it is canted a little it's ok. Not ideal but is within normal function as long as the front sight post can be adjusted left/right and isn't so far over to one side or the other that its pressed into the sight ears (those things on both sides of the front post) ( I )

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
$550 for the WASR these days is a good price. Even better if it is a no paper cash sale.

As for the rifle pictured, the stock is an AK-74 style as opposed to the standard AKM but really not a problem as it looks really good on that rifle with the front handguards matching.

The way I see the picture that front sight doesn't look too bad. I have one AKM with the front site base perfectly aligned but the rifle shoots so far to one side I had to move the sight pin all the way to one side to hit point of aim.

Personally my 2 cents is that looks like a great first rifle. Welcome to the group and welcome to the AK-addiction.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
I think Arik is right, front sight block is canted moderately to the left. To my eyes, the post is still fairly centered, so it raises the question of whether it's ever been sighted in, or if there were problems doing so. If a sight is canted too badly it's not possible to correct with front post windage adjustment. Not a fatal flaw, isn't that difficult to correct this. I'd propose a $50 discount to help cover the potential cost of getting the FSB rotated and pinned.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've owned worse that still zeroed.
I'd jump on it, $550 for an import rifle is pretty dang good.

The only AK I've held in my hands that had a laser straight/square front sight block is my squareback VEPR. Even then, I had to drift the post a hair left.

And welcome to the rifle life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so it raises the question of whether it's ever been sighted in, or if there were problems doing so.
It was apparently "unfired" and it certainly looked like it in person, so I think that makes sense.

I'm now a part of the ak-addiction club, thank you for the help/support guys!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
A good (but not fool-proof) way of seeing if it's unfired is checking the piston head for crud and little rub marks from the gas tube.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to be posting a nooby question, I haven never owned a rifle in my life.

Found a guy selling a WASR-10 locally for a good price ($550) and I want to give it a shot.

I watched a few youtube videos and I can tell that the scope mounts look parallel. However, before I take the drive to check it out in person, how does the sight picture look to you guys? Appreciate it

View attachment 251967 View attachment 251969
Mine looks a little like that. Seems like a reason he would want to sell it. I was a little concerned about mine being a little off but after zeroing it I shot 2 inch groups. Take a gamble if it's used or bite the bullet and spend the extra 100 bucks for a new one. These are cheap but good quality make sure they are older than 2015 tho. Previous manufacturing wasn't as good quality because of little to no quality control. It is recommended to get a 10/63

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
make sure they are older than 2015 tho. Previous manufacturing wasn't as good quality because of little to no quality control. It is recommended to get a 10/63
Thats irrelevant and some would argue backwards. Older rifles were made from surplus parts. Parts that were made for military and had a standard.....one where civilian sales was not a driving force. New is commercial with the standard being to make money.

Chances are there isn't much of a difference if at all but new ones being made for commercial sales have the "unknown" manufacturing to them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts