AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'll be going to a gunshow this weekend. There will be a number of vendors selling ak's. I have a MAK-90 already, and I'd like to get a decent quality sidefolder. Much of what's for sale will be Century Arms stuff. My overall impression of them is that their stuff is sort of junk. That impression is subject to change depending on what I hear from you guys. I've only had one experience with them-it was an ak pistol that had been chambered for .223. I had a fair amount of trouble getting it to extract properly, and I eventually sold it.

All opinions/facts welcome. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on this, but if it's possible to get a decent quality gun at this show then I'd like to.

· Registered
6,477 Posts
Cheap and dependable = WASR with wire folder = $400-$450

Not so expensive and very cool = Draco pistol, SBR with wire folder, converted by a good smith = $850

Very nice and desirable = SGL31 or SGL21 with Bulgarian side folder, converted by a good smith = $1,000-$1,200

The ULTIMATE = RGuns Krink kit, SBR build by a good smith = $1,400+

You can also still buy SLR-106FR, 106UR and 107F from KVar or anywhere else for $650-$1,000, which might as well be the best deals today, as they are all high quality, imported Bulgarian guns.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
If I only had one AK, it would be an Arsenal product :)
Either SGL or SLR series are great.
My pers. fave is SLR-106UR/SLR-107UR, but we're talking mucho $$$.
Look at SLR-107CR (also $$$) and SLR-105 / -106FR (in $700 range).

Anything built by TGI is decent as well.

For low cost superb quality and reliab. and low cost (looks are not so great) SAR1/2 or WASR1/2. Love them accuracy, on par with $1000 AKs and low end ARs.
Century is not much cheaper, but has so-so re-sale value. Quality wis, I won't be a judge as I never owned their products. Ido have first-hand hands-on exp with thall the other ones I mentioned.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
What state are you in?

For economical AK rifles you can get a WASR-10 or a GP1975. The main thing is to check for canted barrel parts. If the barrel parts check out it is unlikely you will have any issues.

Another option is to buy a "certified" WASR-10 from Henderson Defense. They inspect each rifle for issues.

Another option is to buy a built Romy G kit built rifle from one of the want to sell ads here and have it shipped to an FFL.

In my area (Houston) I have an FFL that does transfers for $10. If I buy a rifle from out of state or from an individual I don't pay state sales tax. Very economical.

Another option, if you have someone to help or can attend a build party, is to buy a kit and build it. The economy of building an AK (minus tooling) is what got me deep into this type of rifle. If you can build a 440 Mopar, you can build an AK. :wink:

Your 5.56 pistol experience - I've heard of similar experiences with 5.56 Romy products. The 7.62x39 Romy products I have used have been fine. YMMV.

ETA - the Romy and East German side folders are easy to add to a fixed stock trunion AKM rifle. Both stocks can be had in the $65 shipped range at this time. I'd get a fixed stock rifle and add the folder.

· Registered
1,110 Posts
recon said:
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17608&cat=354&page=1
+1 on the SGL31-74.
If you want to go cheaper, get a WASR and put a $45 wire folder on it. A lot of people knock the WASR but bottom line is that they shoot every time you pull the trigger and it's an AK put together(for the most part) in a genuine ak factory.

· Registered
3,582 Posts
If you run into a Yugo M70AB2 built by Century on a Nodak reciever, they are very good rifles, yes it is an underfolder as opposed to side folder, but they shoot accurate and reliably ,they are NOT like other Century products....Underfolders end up somewhat shorter when folded then the Rommy or EG sidefolders...if that matters to you ?

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gosh, you guys sure have come through with a lot of info! To answer one poster above, I'm in AL. I need a sidefolder, as I have a 100 rd drum I like to use when I target shoot.

Not to seem too ignorant, but WASR is a company, right? Several other apparent acronyms for company names threw me off too-I guess I'm really a beginner!

· Registered
1,370 Posts
i agree with options others have said here but i would also go with the mindset that if i didn't find something i really liked at the show,i wouldn't get something there i had doubts about simply because i HAVE to walk away with a SF.

i would also look at what atlantic firearms has to offer on there website and maybe even call them. they have several that you could easily put a SF on,including a combo package,not to mention others that already come with a SF or UF.

this gives you the advantage of buying from someone that you can solve with if there's a problem with the rifle.they are a good vendor here.

...but as long as your happy with what you get,that's what matters.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, what do you guys think of IO inc? I read an article recently in Guns and Ammo about how they make really good rifles with 100% American parts and use 6 groove barrels that are pretty darn accurate. Atlantic firearms has one for $449. Link to it:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct752.aspx

It's not a sidefolder, but if it wouldn't be too hard to put a side folder on...

Or, how about putting one on my MAK 90? Would that be illegal or particularly difficult?

· Banned
16,199 Posts
v8440 said:
Gosh, you guys sure have come through with a lot of info! To answer one poster above, I'm in AL. I need a sidefolder, as I have a 100 rd drum I like to use when I target shoot.

Not to seem too ignorant, but WASR is a company, right? Several other apparent acronyms for company names threw me off too-I guess I'm really a beginner!
A drum works with an underfolder as well. Target shooting with a 100 round drum huh? Well that is kinda different but gets in the way a bit. A 20 round Hungarian is likely better for targert work.
Google is your friend for any unfamiliar retailers or acronyms.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
AKBLUE said:
A drum works with an underfolder as well. Target shooting with a 100 round drum huh? Well that is kinda different but gets in the way a bit. A 20 round Hungarian is likely better for targert work.
Google is your friend for any unfamiliar retailers or acronyms.
Not if the target or targets moove fast...
WASR is a romanian AK made by Cugir Arsenal. SGL is short for Saiga Legion, which is a Russian made rifle, SLR is a Bulgarian AK and is as good as the Russian one in all respects, both distributed by Arsenal LV, NV. Others mention Hungarian AMD sidefolder, which is built on US receiver, so IMHO, not so great for extencive "target shooting" with a 100 rd mag. Yugo with a heavy receiver is better for that. Imported Romy SAR 1 or WASR 10, will be your best way tio get into the AK game on a budget if you add a sidefolder to it.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Any Euro spec 7.62 x39 receiver will accept the wire folder, so you will be able to look at alot of different rifles. You can buy a rifle with the wood furniture on it and pick up a side folder to add to later. If you have a budget, there have been many good suggestions in the thread. Good luck and don't forget to post pics of what ever gun you end up buying.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
v8440 said:
sniper48 said:
Any Euro spec 7.62 x39 receiver will accept the wire folder,

How do I tell a euro spec receiver from some other type of receiver?
They are all euro spec, except the Chinese and Valmet/Galil types. What he means, any AK with a solid stock will accept the wire side folder. You just take the wooden stock off and it bolts in its place. Dude, buy SAR 1 - its military factory-built AK that is near Identical to the good'ole russian AKM (Honda Accord). Or get SLR-107F (or FR) if you want a loaded Accura.
WASR is just like SAR, but has no magwell dimple, which makes it less "millspec" looking, but it will be a decent shooter and its 150-180 bucks less (Civic). Century is the Hyndai of the lot. If you have a Mercedes budget, get SLR-107UR.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.