AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the near future I plan on purchasing a new 9mm. Currently I'm looking at the PPQ mainly because I want something different from what I'm use to. All the reviews I've read are very positive, however I'm not sure if I want to enter the world of polymer striker fired pistols. I'm also interested in the CZ75 or a Browning HP. Does anybody own a PPQ and should I cross into the dark side?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
There's the PPX if you want a hammer.

PPQ ....great gun, excellent trigger. The best in stricker guns. Excellent ergos and point ability. Overall great guns but....one idiotic problem. Walther cant seem to deside if they want to stick with the paddle mag release, like HK and the original PPQ or go with the push button like all other guns including the new PPQ and thePPQ navy. Difference is mags aren't interchangeable. Nor are they interchangeable with the PPX even though the PPX is a push button. Too much proprietary and they arnt sure which version they will keep....maybe both.

as far as the original PPQ goes its a poor mans HK P30. Great great gun. IMI now makes the old Walther P99 under a different name but they use Walther PPQ style mags.

HiPowers are nice, like 1911. A soul gun, a gun to carry if looks are the most important part of the gun, to you. Otherwise the PPQ is excellent option.

Im not sure you'll notice a big difference in ergos from the PPQ to the CZ.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Just wanted to add that I DO NOT own one but have shot one.

I have owned a few HiPowers and they are way to picky for me. Looks good but high maintenance. Some didnt like Wolf ammo, others didnt like HP ammo. Cant defend yourself with "pretty". Sold them, got Glocksand never looked back

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Different isn't always good. Look into the Glock offerings if you want one of the best 9mm handguns out there. They're ugly but they just plain work. Toss on some Heine Straight 8 Night Sights and get a factory extended slide release and it will make a hell of a fighting pistol. I love my 1911's and other pistols, but if I had to choose only one it wouldn't be the works of art....but the ugly Glockling.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I really like my full size Springfield XD9 pistol the more I shoot it but I'll grab my Gen 2 Glock 19 if my little corner of the world is overrun with FSA hooligans on a lawless rampage.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've shot several Glocks and they're not my thing. I think I should try to rent a ppq first.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Hi-Power and CZ-75 are both excellent choices. CZ-75 is the most popular pistol in the world for a good reason.
Never cared about striker fired pistols. I didn't care about plastic pistols either, but got over that.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Well no matter what you decide...definitely try before you buy. It can save you several hundred dollars if you get it right the first time.

CMS

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
cms81586 said:
Different isn't always good. Look into the Glock offerings if you want one of the best 9mm handguns out there. They're ugly but they just plain work. Toss on some Heine Straight 8 Night Sights and get a factory extended slide release and it will make a hell of a fighting pistol. I love my 1911's and other pistols, but if I had to choose only one it wouldn't be the works of art....but the ugly Glockling.
G17 ftw! I do like the older walthers but if you shave and stipple a glock youll never look back. I have been tempted by thr mp series though....

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
OK yes a Glock is an excellent gun and I carry one every day but I never mentioned it since the OP didnt ask about it. However, since most people complain about their grip angle and blocky look and since the OP is new to stricker fired guns the PPQ is a great choice. Accurate, low bore axis, and every bit as reliable as a Glock. If I wasnt so invested in Glocks and HKs I'd have a PPQ by now. trigger is by far the best of any striker fired gun. People say its trigger is the 1911 of striker guns. What the PPQ is lacking is the aftermarket support that Glock has.....but they are not alone. S&W also has problems keeping up with mag orders. There are even a few companies now that make RMR slides for the PPQ.

I have not seen one on the rental rack but if you can find it, try it before you buy it.

CZ being the most popular pistol in the world is not because its so super awesome (it is a good gun and a good design).The reason is simply because CZ never got a world patent (originally) and everyone copied them. There are only about a dozen countries that issue the CZ to some extent...along with other handguns. For its time the design was new/inovative but the part about it being the most widely used gun in the world is only 1/2 truth.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
My PPQ is one of my favorite guns. I got lucky and found a First Edition one. Numbered 1-1000, threaded barrel, really nice case, night sights, and 17 round mag.

Ive put about 2000 rounds through her of countless different type of ammo. Never a single hiccup.

It is so damn accurate. The interchangeable back grips make it fit my hand perfectly. The thing that really sets the gun aside for me though is the fast reset trigger. Trigger is just amazing. It really is the main thing that sets it aside from similar handguns IMO.

Two of my close friends are 100% Glock guys, and they absolutely love the PPQ which was a surprise for me. It is a bit light, so the only complaint I've heard is there is a slight added recoil because of it. The only other complaint I hear from some guys is they don't like the trigger guard mag release, because they are not used to it. I much prefer it though. The latest generation switched to the standard mag release though.

I must admit- I am a Walther collector and pretty biased to it. I own a couple WWII PP and PPKs, and my standard carry guns are the PPQ, PPS, and a 1962 PPK i rebuilt. But out of the many many people I've let shoot it, none of them disliked it.

Sorry for the shitty pics-

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never liked Glock ergonomics so that's why I'm not looking at them. I've fired an HK USP45 and I really enjoyed the paddle realize because I didn't have to change my grip while reloading. Walther seems to have a severe marketing problem in North America (S&W).
If I happen to come across a PPQ I'll probably get it, but I might just have to go with a CZ.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I never liked Glock ergonomics so that's why I'm not looking at them. I've fired an HK USP45 and I really enjoyed the paddle realize because I didn't have to change my grip while reloading. Walther seems to have a severe marketing problem in North America (S&W).
If I happen to come across a PPQ I'll probably get it, but I might just have to go with a CZ.
I prefer the paddle for the same reason. Walther just ended their agreement with Smith & Wesson (except for the PPK production). They formed Walther America and are now going to import on their own.

I've got my eye on the new long barreled PPQ now. They look pretty damn nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In the near future I plan on purchasing a new 9mm. Currently I'm looking at the PPQ mainly because I want something different from what I'm use to. All the reviews I've read are very positive, however I'm not sure if I want to enter the world of polymer striker fired pistols. I'm also interested in the CZ75 or a Browning HP. Does anybody own a PPQ and should I cross into the dark side?
I have a PPQ in 9mm. The gun feels good in the hand and its a good shooter. Haven't had any problems with jams or reliability but I've probably only put 100 rounds or so through it. I do prefer my Glock over it, but I prefer my Glock of every pistol I've ever fired. The PPQ is a good gun though, I have no complaints.

Tons of discussion about the Walther PPQ here: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I have fired the P99 quite a bit, and liked it. I also have a PPS in 9mm as a carry gun.... I llike it..

Now, having said that, I am thinking of selling it and converting it to something else.

My wife, exposed a major weakness of of the PPS and all striker fired guns like the glock, XDM, etc..... She limp wrists pistols sometimes, and with underpowered range ammo, causes the pistol to jam, and sometimes load a round but not cock..

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I have fired the P99 quite a bit, and liked it. I also have a PPS in 9mm as a carry gun.... I llike it..

Now, having said that, I am thinking of selling it and converting it to something else.

My wife, exposed a major weakness of of the PPS and all striker fired guns like the glock, XDM, etc..... She limp wrists pistols sometimes, and with underpowered range ammo, causes the pistol to jam, and sometimes load a round but not cock..
Wow, I gotta head to the range soon and check that out. I've put atleast a thousand rounds through my PPS with zero hiccups, but I don't think I ever deliberately limp wristed it. It's also my main carry gun for warmer weather so I really need to check into that.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Limp wristing is not a striker fired phenomenon. All guns can and will malfunction with limp wristing including 1911s. Polymer frame guns are lighter and thus more susceptible to it. My sister has this problem with S&W 5906, a 40oz all steel 9mm. But she shoots her Kahr PM9 just fine

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I handled a PPX and a Glock 19 today and I was surprised by the Glock. I've only fired a 17 and a 26 and I hated them both, the 19 however fit like a glove. The PPX has good reviews but for $100-150 more I can get something a lot better. I also tried an HK P30 and it blew everything out of the water, but for that kind of coin I would add a nice M1 Carbine to the collection. I still think I'm going to go with the PPQ if I decide to go to get one of these new-fangled plastic guns. My first handgun was an original Colt 1911 that will be celebrating her 100th birthday next month so I may get some "tubberware" to diversify the safe.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts