AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall I'm very pleased with the my WW rifle..first Ak I've ever own. Buddy of mine has some metal 74 mags, don't know the brand or make, but they would not lock up. Is this common to have to file down the mag latch? The cheap tapco that came with the rifle locks up tight and make a soild "click" sound when it locks in.

Thanks
Dustin

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
Romania and Poland make/made 5.45 metal mags. Sometimes various mags are not a drop in fit. Small adjustments are ordinarily all that is necessary. The receiver mag well or the mag. Or one can avoid those that do not fit. Generally AK74 mags are quite universal for fit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So stay with Circle 10 mags then? I didn't really look in to what was not fitting...the front of the mag would seat but when you rock it back it would almost lock in place but wouldn't rock back the last 1/16-1/8"" this could be b/c of the mag latch. I had appointment I had to leave for so that's why I couldn't investigate it more. But it left me wondering, I tried searching for a answer but had no hits for the 74..47 had alot of hits.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have half a dozen steel Polish mags and, while they fit in my rifles, I have noticed it is easy to accidentally push the forward part of the steel magazines too far in to the mag well, causing the magazine to be misaligned. You might want to make sure you are engaging the slot in the front of the magazine correctly. I have plastic and bakelite mags from pretty much every country to make them, and circle 10 bulgarians are as high quality as any of them. Stay awwy from american made 74 mags, they generally aren't made to military specs.

·
Registered
978 Posts
tapco mags fit loose in my rifle. Surplus mags fit nice and tight. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
You will need to investigate more on why its not locking in. It could be the lower part of the lower rails, trunion lug, receiver right under the latch, receiver mag well, or the latch. I make sure all sorts of mags work in each mag well. Why would you ever not want a mil spec mag not to work? I want every one to work every time. Unless of course something is wrong with the mag. If it wobbles a little bit, no biggie.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a tantal and the steel Romanian mags were to thick for the magwell while the tantal and bulgy mags worked fine. I eventually sold the Romanian mags to a buddy who had purchased a MM10 and they functioned great for him. If the bulgy mags work use them. Just my experience.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Not really necessary. IMHO. A normal variance in magazines and receiver magazine well. Investigate and adjustment if so desired.
Yes. With millions of mags in various conditions of used from a dozen different countries, madefrom several different matirial will get you this problem. I run into this occationaly. My Chinese AK74 with a 5.56 receiver takes most 74 mags except the new Polish ones. A few surplus 7.62 mags lock in very very tight in my MAK90 and the rest dont...just normal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts