AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ORF VZ58 receiver finally came in a couple of days ago. I noticed in this thread they have a few custom tools, but i'm a little confused.

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewto ... 337#542337

I ordered the barrel fixture to aid in the installation of the barrel, but they also show them using an angled plate at the rear of the receiver for pressing in the barrel as well. All of the build tutorials I've seen also mention putting the bolt and locking wedge into battery with a go gauge installed, however I don't see how that's possible with the barrel fixture. The tool will not slide in with the bolt installed.

Can someone clear this up for me? I can mill a plate, but this barrel fixture tool looks worthless.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I didn't use one.

I took a piece of flat steel and shimmed it to angle it up to match the back of the receiver, so that it would stand up on end and be level.

Then pressed the barrel on using my press. Once the barrel was almost all the way in, I locked the bolt in (no carrier) and pressed until the barrel would not go any further.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like an idiot for buying this fixture. I'm just going to mill a plate for the base of the receiver.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
pfffffff I just use a regular press plate with a chunk of steel under one end for the right angle. BUT the barrel wasn't massively tight either.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
m0ondoggy said:
My ORF VZ58 receiver finally came in a couple of days ago. I noticed in this thread they have a few custom tools, but i'm a little confused.

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewto ... 337#542337

I ordered the barrel fixture to aid in the installation of the barrel, but they also show them using an angled plate at the rear of the receiver for pressing in the barrel as well. All of the build tutorials I've seen also mention putting the bolt and locking wedge into battery with a go gauge installed, however I don't see how that's possible with the barrel fixture. The tool will not slide in with the bolt installed.

Can someone clear this up for me? I can mill a plate, but this barrel fixture tool looks worthless.

I have found that proper headspace appears to be achieved pressing barrel against bolt with no guage present. The Czech built rifles appear to be headspaced this way and it checks out good on mine. Wont close on my clymer go but closes nice on a round with 1 piece of masking tape. Check with just the bolt and barrel to see if it looks good(none of the czech rifles i tried would close on my go guage so i have been checking with rounds now) but it seems the bolts are recessed enough and precision enough to headspace properly with bolt touching barrel face.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts