AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us have the peculiar bakelite furniture in our VZ58s,but let's say I have a crack or surface flaw that I would like to fix to make it look better,what did they mix with the particle wood to construct these stocks,is it fiberglass resin or some kind of epoxy,I actually have some flaws in my set and would like to do it right,any ideas? :neutral:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid paint only won't fill a crack or void,there must be something to "fill" the defect,then maybe repaint with clear flat lacquer to finish.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
AKMfan said:
Most of us have the peculiar bakelite furniture in our VZ58s,but let's say I have a crack or surface flaw that I would like to fix to make it look better,what did they mix with the particle wood to construct these stocks,is it fiberglass resin or some kind of epoxy,I actually have some flaws in my set and would like to do it right,any ideas? :neutral:
it is as you said "bakelite" that is mixed with the wood. Bakelite is a plastic that is molded under high heat and pressure not something you could duplicate at home.
That being said, fiberglass resin could fill small imperfections. I recommend Bondo brand as it has a reddish hue and I would use a bit of extra hardener, if you don't use enough hardener it can turn greenish.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great idea,I'll give it a shot and will let you know about the result. :grin:

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
I recommend putting furniture in the dishwasher prior to repairing it will clean it better than you can do with a week of hand scrubbing. Try to keep repair area small, touch it up with a paper matchstick or something then lightly sand repair(start with 600 or so and work up to 2000) the rub out sand marks and coat with furniture wax.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did also have some bad gauges and or scrapes on my kit which has the reddish resin wood impregnated furniture, and i was able to refinish both the hanguard and the stock, the same way wood is done!
Simply took sandpaper started with heavier grit and worked down to x-fine and then 0000 steel wool, then applied a coat of b. caseys Tru-Oil gunstock finish from wally-world and it turned out better than new.
And i had some bad deep chips broken off on the handguard edges. :grin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts