AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a few design variations in the vz.58 kits...
Anyone know which are late/early production?

E.G.

1. Open or closed front sight protector ears,
2. Round or odd shaped front sling swivels
3. Narrow or wide trigger guards.
4. Wood furniture (early production)
5. others?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
...others,

Mag catch: wide/rounded vs narrower/angular

Trigger Guard: one has a built in mag catch guard, one doesn't

Rear sight: One has a notch for removal, one just has a hole

Front sight: besides open ear vs closed... some difference in the lightening cuts just behind the rear sight, the part that's around the barrel, on top.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
fsb earliest has open ears with no angle lightening cuts. second has open ears with lightening cuts late has closed top with lightening cuts

key ring sling swivels were first then the stamped sheetmetal is later

narrow trigger guards are first with the wider ones with mag catch protector are later

rear sight with hole is first followed by ones with slot

wood furniture was first

first pattern folding stocks have buttplate riveted on instead of welded

·
Registered
554 Posts
All of my mags except one have a fence around the majority of the bottom of the feed-lip piece. One has a fence that only extends about half-way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 72 kit and a new Czech made U.S. one. The parts bin may be open these days as on the newer I have the rings for the sling, an open top sight, and the narrow trigger guard. It is all love.

·
Registered
754 Posts
What were the production years? I have a 1962 kit i just got from apex that is beat to hell, it has the open top FSB and the stamped T shaped front sling retianer.

Also pretty much all of the D-technic guns i have seen have the key ring type sling retainer. Its probibly cheaper and easier to manufacture.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I know one thing for sure, if you are a lefty, the narrow trigger guard is a must. With it you can depress the catch with your trigger finger and knock the old mag out with the new one...

Its almost like these guns were made for lefties given that, where the bolt handle is, the safety can be flipped with the thumb w/o ungripping, and the with your right hand you can pull and lock the bolt back with one hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts