AK Rifles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I just stumbled into a nice find this weekend. I ran across some vintage Chinese ammo from an estate for a reasonable price and picked it up. Some of it came in a sealed wooden crate and has the importer stamp as KFS (Kengs Firearm Specialties). I've got a Polytech spiker that this will go well with. I would like to know what type of ammo is inside the crate without breaking the seal and I'm sure there is a vintage ammo expert here that might be able help me out.

I know it was made in 1985 and I think there are 1440 cartridges in the case. I also got some 20 rd boxes in the deal that are dated 1985 from factory 71. Was wondering if this is what is in the sealed crate. Was it packed in spam cans or just cardboard boxes in the crate? The bottom photo is what I think is in the crate (the China North Industries boxes). I also understand that this is the steel core ammo that can penetrate the thickest of concrete bunkers!:eek:. Picked up some Malaysian and Israeli 5.56 and some Egyptian 9mm SMG ammo as well in the deal. It was like Christmas for Thanksgiving! Every once in a while I stumble into a good deal.

Any help with the ID of the ammo in crate would be appreciated as I don't want to open it up. I think it is cooler as a collector accessory for the early Chinese import guns than blasting ammo...

Cheers and hope you all great Thanksgiving.

Wood Box Furniture Table Trunk

Font

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
With the 1440 round count I'd say what you have in there is most likely in individual yellow boxes of 20 rounds which are wrapped in plastic sheeting within the wooden crate.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Agree with 56type. Use to buy them by the dozen at $75-95 a case a long time ago. Have not seen any for sale in that condition in years.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Not necessarily yellow box as suggested but so what! I have a crate of teal colored boxes, says steel core right on each box. All this stuff is good and I think it's all pretty much steel core because that was cheaper to produce. Corrosive though so make sure to clean your weapon. And good find, this stuff is only going up up up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I was pretty excited to find it as I remember this stuff being stacked high at my local gun shop in Flagstaff AZ along with boxes of SKS's stacked for $69.00 a piece. I may have to see if I can pry up a few nails to take a peek inside. I'll let you know what I find if I do so. As Slimpic said, this stuff is increasing in value as collector ammo. Check those estate sales!

·
Registered
75 Posts
It has 2 720 round spam cans. I have several. They are usually galvanized metal with green wax around the seal and black stamps. Won't hurt to cut the strap and see. I'd be pretty a ure that's what it is.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Just open it. Jeez.....

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry guys, it is in another state right now. I will be back there to bring it home after Christmas. I couldn't take it on the pLane with me after I bought it so I took some pictures to remember it by (that sounds like I may have a problem, huh... Pictures of my ammo in another state?) anyhow, I'll give you all an update when I get back there. Total price for the 2500 rds of the various Chinese ammo was $600. I'd do it again if another deal like that omes up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys. I just stumbled into a nice find this weekend. I ran across some vintage Chinese ammo from an estate for a reasonable price and picked it up. Some of it came in a sealed wooden crate and has the importer stamp as KFS (Kengs Firearm Specialties). I've got a Polytech spiker that this will go well with. I would like to know what type of ammo is inside the crate without breaking the seal and I'm sure there is a vintage ammo expert here that might be able help me out.

I know it was made in 1985 and I think there are 1440 cartridges in the case. I also got some 20 rd boxes in the deal that are dated 1985 from factory 71. Was wondering if this is what is in the sealed crate. Was it packed in spam cans or just cardboard boxes in the crate? The bottom photo is what I think is in the crate (the China North Industries boxes). I also understand that this is the steel core ammo that can penetrate the thickest of concrete bunkers!:eek:. Picked up some Malaysian and Israeli 5.56 and some Egyptian 9mm SMG ammo as well in the deal. It was like Christmas for Thanksgiving! Every once in a while I stumble into a good deal.

Any help with the ID of the ammo in crate would be appreciated as I don't want to open it up. I think it is cooler as a collector accessory for the early Chinese import guns than blasting ammo...

Cheers and hope you all great Thanksgiving.
The ammo is 7.62x39mm M43 Soviet - the Chinese classify it as Type 56 (56 式) because they adopted it in 1956. 7.62 普 (钢) means "7.62mm Universal (Steel-case)"; a Semi-Armor-Piercing mild steel-core bullet with a bimetallic (copper-washed steel) case.
9267 - 61 means Ammo Lot # 9267, Factory 61. It looks like the second line reads P2 - SC; it might indicate what bullet and case type the cartridge uses.
2/1 樟 - 1/65 - 85 means type 2/1 Propellant - 1st Batch / 1965 - Powder Mill 85. The pictogram 樟 means "camphor", an ingredient in cordite; it stands for smokeless powder. 2/1 means 0.2mm powder grain size / with 1 perforation.
It comes packed loose in 20-round paper packets. There are 36 packets per spam can (720 rds) and 2 cans per crate (1440 rds).

·
Banned
16,234 Posts
^^ Sounds right. Good shooting ammunition.
The price hasn't changed much.
Millions of rounds imported.
The boxed stuff was vakued., usually more collected., just based on all the different packaging types etc.

The loose or paper wrap Chinese is/was pte panic at 50 cpr in quantity up to $1 for newbies and if odd dates or something for collectors.
Opening it is no big deal.
Save all the packaging.

I just sold some of the boxed stuff to a collector type.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the 1440 round count I'd say what you have in there is most likely in individual yellow boxes of 20 rounds which are wrapped in plastic sheeting within the wooden crate.
The boxed ammo came wrapped in plastic in wooden crates of 1200 rounds (60 cartons of 20 rounds). There were yellow, gray or green boxes with the "gear and compass" NORINCO logo on them.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The boxed ammo came wrapped in plastic in wooden crates of 1200 rounds (60 cartons of 20 rounds). There were yellow, gray or green boxes with the "gear and compass" NORINCO logo on them.
Just picked up a case at the KCR shoot last weekend....

Most of the crates I encountered had the two tins of 550 rounds on stripper clips. I had all but forgotten the 720 round tins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts