AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afghanistan seems to be mentioned here quite a bit. Every time I go to my favorite hunting area, I always think it really looks like the pictures I see of Afghanistan. What do you think???

Afghanistan:

Where I hunt:

Afghanistan:

Where I hunt:

Afghanistan:

Where I hunt:

Now, if I could just find some old Soviet weapons lying around, I'd be happy!!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Looks like alot of places here in Colorado as well. I have had the same thoughts about it looking like Afghanistan in the Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming areas.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BiggerStick47 said:
I think you should invite me up for a hunting trip!
Come out West, and you got it! Be ready for steep hills, and maddening birds! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
When I was in Kazahkstan, we were showing some pics of training we did at Fort Irwin to the K'zak soldiers.

They asked through the interpreter if it was somewhere in K'stan.

The similarities are striking.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sigurd nailed it. Eastern Washington. The place is really cool. It was settled during an eight year wet period. After that, well, it dried up and everyone left. Most of the ravines that have water contain old homesteads. Sometimes not much is left, but some I have seen have partial structures, fence posts, etc. There are also ancient fruit and nut trees that let you know something was there. I love exploring areas like that. It is remote enough that you will be surprised if you see someone that day.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Frostbite, what kind of birds do you chase out there? Some kind of Sage grouse?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I primarily go after chukar, but also find quail in the ravines.

Chuckar...

There are also quite a number of cottontails, but I largely leave them alone. There are also deer and coyotes in the area.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Never been to afghanistan. However, I know the countries in the middle east have extremely different terrains. While passing throught the gaza strait, which in some parts is so narrow that if you stand in the middle of the ship, it looks like your driving it across land. On one side of the ship there was desert as far as you could see, while on the other side it was green and resembled a place where people would vacation. And in Iraq, the first 3 days in country we spent convoying through desert that stretched as far as the eye could see. Then all of a sudden, there was grass, trees and small irrigation canals. In the town of Al Shomali, It looked exactly like the pictures my father showed me of vietnam, complete with forests and palm trees, several people made the same comment, Even my Sgt. Major. A vietnam vet. Said he thought the place was going to be alot different, "Reminds me of being back in vietnam, I just hope nobody comes out here in thier black PJs! I dont know how I would explain that one." And once we got into Al Kut, the place was green as Georgia, but a little hotter and more flies......and I didnt get shot at as much :wink:

One wierd thing I did notice about Kuwait and Iraq is there are random almost perfectly square sections of the greenest grass in the desert....We would go out into the middle of the desert for training and sometimes we would come apon a square of green grass, I mean about 50'x50' and usually they were literalll in the middle of the desert, miles from any road or anything. I just chocked it up to bedouins, or the government trying to make the country look better a little at a time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts