AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am relatively new to the forum, been a member for less than a year. I discovered VEPRs about a year ago, and so far have had fun building my collection. I have multiple builds in progress and have recently become interested in the idea of a Krinkov build, more out of novelty than anything else. I also seem to have came to this party late as the true Krinkov kits, Tula AKS-74Us have all but dried up, and to buy a completed one is around $3k, which I think I dont want to just buy one, because it would be a fun build.

So this brings me to my question for this forum. Instead of doing a Tula build, I am throwing around the idea of doing a VEPR conversion to resemble a Krink as close as possible. Have any members here done this, attempted this, or researched everything involved. Any information will be a great help. I found one thread on AR15.com where someone alluded to contacting an AK smith who said the build was possible, but would require serious funding, but nothing else was said on the matter, so it didnt really help me much.

Appreciate your thoughts, information, advice.

r/

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Tula 86s pop up all the time. Slr 104ur project would be much easier. Those virgin bulgy krink kits do pop up although hardly at all. Bottom line...you can get a krink much easier and quicker than a vepr conversion...not to mention a vepr receiver isnt even remotely close, if the conversion would be possible at all. Im sure it could be done because there are some great ak guys out there, but it wouldnt be right receiver wise

if you do have the urge to do a non krink to krink conversion for the novelty factor, do it to a saiga and not a vepr.

Reactions: evolixsurf

·
Registered
961 Posts
If he wants a krink- style Molot VEPR - it's really just barrel work/cutting/sizing plus parts, and a rear trunny job...and a latch setup in the front. Cheap? Cheaper than another option?

Or a Rusky, shorty, bulged trunny one-off?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
instead of paying 1k for a vepr, you can pay 2k for a tula krink kit with a barrel and then build it. Worth it in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Kinda a back asswards way into a krink. Especially when they are still around. If I recall, there is one for sale right now in our classifieds.

If you try to convert a vepr you will find out exactly how spendy krink parts are.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Kinda a back asswards way into a krink. Especially when they are still around. If I recall, there is one for sale right now in our classifieds.

If you try to convert a vepr you will find out exactly how spendy krink parts are.

Welcome to the forum.
what he said.

86 tula AKSU kits show up on GB regularly. not every weeks but maybe every other week. sometimes several at ones.

leave that vepr alone. just build a proper AKSU otherwise you gonna endup with a Frankenstein gun that nobody wants if you ever decide to sell.

building a true Krink is an exercise in patience. hunt down a kit first. then order receiver from 74U LLC and wait 6-8 month to get it. while you are waiting file form 1 and start hunting for a barrel. chances are you will get your stamp long before you will get all the parts together.

expect to invest at least 2k into the build.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the common sense info. I guess a VEPR Krink build just appeals to me because of my affinity for VEPRs, but I get your point. It would be a one off that would be very particular and someone would need to have the exact same vision to want it if I ever needed to sell it. I would probably spend just as much, if not more making my frankengun, and then I would have something that is only of proper value to me, where a Tula kit will give me excellent value that will only grow. I think I will keep shopping for a Tula kit, too bad I missed the Rguns bus for a good price on a kit.

what he said.

86 tula AKSU kits show up on GB regularly. not every weeks but maybe every other week. sometimes several at ones.

leave that vepr alone. just build a proper AKSU otherwise you gonna endup with a Frankenstein gun that nobody wants if you ever decide to sell.

building a true Krink is an exercise in patience. hunt down a kit first. then order receiver from 74U LLC and wait 6-8 month to get it. while you are waiting file form 1 and start hunting for a barrel. chances are you will get your stamp long before you will get all the parts together.

expect to invest at least 2k into the build.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
If you're open to a rifle in 5.56x45, you could buy a Yugo PAP M85 pistol. It has the same heavy receiver and bulged front trunnion as a Vepr. I bought one and added a side folding buttstock to it. The buttstock adapter attached to the rear of the rear trunnion, so replacing it wasn't necessary. Voila, instant heavy krink! You could do this for around $1000 to $1100 including the SBR stamp.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
With "factory" AKS74Us being sold by Arsenal as the SLR104 series, I am not sure why you are evening debating anything else.
Very true!

The only other reason I can see one wamting a kit built ASKU is if they want a russan for historical purposes.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again, Thanks guys, Appreciate the info. before I posted this I talked with Sunspot about his kit, and it was just too pricey for me. Since I have found one, possible two that are cleaner for a better price that I am thinking of pulling the trigger on. Yes, I wanted to stay Russian with my VEPR franken build for the nostalgia of it, and 22many echoed my feelings with a desire to stay Russian for the history behind it all.

Thanks again guys

r/

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If you were going for an Afghan/Khyber Pass look that was done quite frequently with RPKs being converted into hybrid AKS-74U lookalikes.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Its nice these days as we actually have options on krinks. Back in the day it was really just the 86 tula kits and virgin bulgarian kits. Now with the 90 tulas, slr104s, m92s, m85s, and other offerings it's what one prefers to build or buy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts