AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking at a Valmet M71S in .223 and am hearing 2 things: they're very well made guns but parts (including mags) are very hard to get, and expensive.

Given that my plan to not to shoot this heavily but would like to occasionally plink and probably hand down within the family, is this a a good choice? Pros and cons would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
As a safe queen there are no cons really, as long as you can afford it. It might not go up in value a lot (from where it is now) but it sure wont decrease.

Yes part and mags are not cheap and few and far between. Last I heard mags were around $100 ea

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Sounds like I might be better off with the Poly AKS. I understand they use generic mags and appear to be a good bet as well.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Valmets are just a dream for most of us. They're just different enough to keep the lion's share of AK accessories and parts from fitting. A Poly 7.62 AK will be cheaper and the parts interchange for the most part, and mags are standard AK mags.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm watching a Valmet m71 on auction now but this seems to be an "odd" model within the valmet line, even according to their own website. What models are considered the most valuable or interesting?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm watching a Valmet m71 on auction now but this seems to be an "odd" model within the valmet line, even according to their own website. What models are considered the most valuable or interesting?
Good time to buy an M76, there have been 2 or 3 on Gunbroker the last few weeks or so. They're pretty much the same as an M71 but with a longer sight radius, the rear sight is placed on the rear of the dust cover. Factory magazines for either are running $200-$250 . Galil mags will lock in to the receiver but have different feed angles and should NOT be used. Aftermarket mags are available but I've found them to be a crapshoot reliability wise. Valmets are extremely well made AKs and parts can be found, but the availability of parts and magazines is nothing like that of a Polytech AK. I got into them a long time ago, I have an M62 7.62x39, and 3 M76 in 5.56 including a tube folder and select fire. Great rifles. I didn't think you boys in Connecticut could own these anymore. Not true?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a loophole in the newly enacted law that specifically allows for the transfer/possession of pre-1994 "assault weapons" in CT. The politicians pushed through things so quickly that they missed a big part; luck for some of us who can now buy things that we couldn't do for the last 20+ years and are now OK when lots of other previously allowed guns, e.g., AR15s, are now verboten. Makes no sense. I anticipate that they'll close this opportunity sometime soon, so it's time to stock up...

See below for more info if you're interested:

Preban ?Assault Weapons? | CCDL Blog

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
M76 tube folder in 7.62x39 go for $5K plus when they show up for sale. Less than 100 imported from what I've read.

Bill

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The M76 tube folders in .223 are much more common and more reasonably priced. These are great rifles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's interesting. I'll look around to see if I can find any of these available. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The M71 and M62 were imported by Interarms for awhile in the 70's - when 7.62x39 was uncommon. The M71 has the shorter sight radius of an AK vs. the newer M76 with the rear sight on the VERY solid recvr cover. These guns are built like tanks and I doubt that you'd destroy any VALMET in normal range fun.

I am sure that the folks who would dare to make replacement M7x 5.56 mags and cheesegrater furniture would sell all they could make...

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I connot find the 1800 dollar m71s in past 90 days gb auctions. why did one bring 1800? they bring 1250 or less when they sell usually. one just sold on gunbroker for 1105. I like the 71s site arrangement better than the traditional valmet galil types after being let down on accuracy by a slightly used and slightly wobbly imi 386 galil which is supposed to be top dog for 556 galils. plastic Woodstock buttplates are fragile in the extreme and plastic butts are too on the 71. id love to install a tube folder and 762x39 barrel and bolt on one and shoot it. I wish I knew if 10 dollar surplus Yugo m90/m95 30rd mags worked or not. looks like they should. 223 30rd valmet mags are 150 to 250 each.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts