AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed one on my AKS-74 at lunch in about 30 minutes and it went on like a snap. I cheated and tapped the 3 holes for it to accept 10-32 screws instead of using rivets.

I highly recommend them and at $10 a piece they are a steal.

Next I will be putting on on my Bulgy AK-74 fixed stock and then 2 more on the two Romy G builds I bplan on doing.

I bought them from tickbitesupply.com

·
Registered
519 Posts
Pertaining to the screwing of this mount to the receiver...that is exactly the method I was going to use. After talking to a number of people that have more knowledge of the AK action that I will learn in a lifetime I have come to the conclusion that riveting the rifle together is truly the only way to go. I had posted the question of screwing this very mount to the receiver and received no replys, I felt it must have been considered a dumb "new guy" question. I have not gone into building my own rifles at this point and have considered doing so this winter, rather than work on my hot rod which is usually what I do. I felt that the scope mount should not be involved in the multi-axial movement that occurs while firing as most of the other rivets are and basically should be resistant to the shaking fore and aft. I would be interested to hear of your results after some firing. I thought I would first assemble the scope mount with screws w/o loc-tite, fire a 100rnds or so and check for looseness, if any looseness was discovered, apply the loc-tite and repeat. If I still was getting any looseness at this point it would then be rivet time which some of you would probably say was "about time". Any input on this question would be highly appreciated. I am aware of a very expensive ($400) mount that uses the existing rear sight mounting area and then travels over the receiver cover, then secures to the upper buttstock screw. Very nice...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tantal pffers the MTK mount which attaches with screws. I have now hesitation using screws to hold a scop rail on as the forces it will see are minimal.

I did loctite the screws with the "green" stuff. They aren't coming loose without direct heat from a torch.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the same rail on my Overland-built Bulgy 74, it is very solid and it works just fine.

The price was great too, cheaper than just about any other rail I looked at.

-urban

·
Registered
821 Posts
I not only screwed mine on and put lock-tite on it, I put some JB weld on the back of the plate. This thing is never coming off. I love it use'd it on many AK's

·
Registered
446 Posts
Fearless 51 said:
Pertaining to the screwing of this mount to the receiver...that is exactly the method I was going to use. After talking to a number of people that have more knowledge of the AK action that I will learn in a lifetime I have come to the conclusion that riveting the rifle together is truly the only way to go. I had posted the question of screwing this very mount to the receiver and received no replys, I felt it must have been considered a dumb "new guy" question. I have not gone into building my own rifles at this point and have considered doing so this winter, rather than work on my hot rod which is usually what I do. I felt that the scope mount should not be involved in the multi-axial movement that occurs while firing as most of the other rivets are and basically should be resistant to the shaking fore and aft. I would be interested to hear of your results after some firing. I thought I would first assemble the scope mount with screws w/o loc-tite, fire a 100rnds or so and check for looseness, if any looseness was discovered, apply the loc-tite and repeat. If I still was getting any looseness at this point it would then be rivet time which some of you would probably say was "about time". Any input on this question would be highly appreciated. I am aware of a very expensive ($400) mount that uses the existing rear sight mounting area and then travels over the receiver cover, then secures to the upper buttstock screw. Very nice...
the only thing wrong with the 400$ mount you are talking about is i think you have to break out the tool box to feild strip the rifle if you use this mount(not 100% certain about this, someone correct me if i'm wrong). not so with the side mount and quick release.

i personally rivet everything i can just out of prefernce. but the whole rivet vs screw argument is mute in my mind. i still have the very first rifle i ever built(a screw build)it has had at the very least 4 to 5k rounds through it with 0 issues. so don't let no one tell you screws are inferior. rivets just look better.

by the way what kind of rod you working on.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Consider an Ultimak. It really is the way to go. Even the Russians would rather have a Swedish red dot :wink:

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Ultimak +Aimpoint micro is the shizzy.

I am glad to hear the side plate works so well and was easy to install. I think I may add one to a build of mine.

Anyone tried the UTG throw lever side mount? Those Russian mounts are heavy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
h8mtv said:
I have one, and I don't know if I got a bad one or I've buggered it up
over-tightening it, but it will NOT stay on tight. I've tried shim-ing it,
and appliing Loc-Tite to the screw above the lever, to no avail.

To be honest, I think I buggered it up............... sigh.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm sold on the Ultimak mount and Aimpoint or EoTech on my SLR107F, which is basically my wife's rifle and it makes things real simple for her. I've considered a scope mount for my RPK, mainly because my eyes just ain't what they used to be and I'd like to be able to see what I'm shootin at a little better at 100yds. I think if I can put the cross hairs on the bullseye I can shoot better than lining my open sights up on the dark blob down range...I have the same problem with my M1A and am planning on installing a scope on it soon for the same reason, except it is capable of outshooting my abilities, the AK isn't.
I've got a '51 Ford, full-house flathead, engineered stance, she's a runner.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Ultimaks are great but I'd much rather have that weight in the middle of the gun. The Aimpoint micro is a great option for out there though IMO. Of all the scopes I have and have tried I like a 2.5x shotgun scope the best and that works really well on a side mount.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big A said:
h8mtv said:
I have one, and I don't know if I got a bad one or I've buggered it up
over-tightening it, but it will NOT stay on tight. I've tried shim-ing it,
and appliing Loc-Tite to the screw above the lever, to no avail.

To be honest, I think I buggered it up............... sigh.
Are they adjustable for clamp tightness like the Russian style ones?

Take a look at this link. It shows you how to adjust the clamp on side mounts.

http://www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/rail_install.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts