AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got a akm kit. and i have got a m70 barrel. the numbers don't match but i have lathe access and turning skill. i stacked the parts next to the barrel and it looks like the gas hole will line up with the gas block. i found some numbers in thsdnts which is what my measuring tools and lathe operate in. these numbers i found for a romny g look like what i need to take it to. the 572 for the gas block is correct because the gas black would press fit over the sight section. the handguard number im not sure of. my truion is stamped 1969 and i dont think any of my parts numbers match. heads up on anything im about to do wrong would be helpful. or if anyone has a cheep akm barrel laying around they want to sell. i got the m70 barrel for 29 and its in great shape a little dirty and oily but preserved nicely and no pull mark.

Chamber outside diameter:

Romie G: .908"
Yugo M70: .908"

Barrel diameter at front sight block:
Romie G: .572"
Yugo M70: .592"

Barrel diameter for gas block:
Romie G: .592"
Yugo M70: .631"

Barrel diiameter at handguard retainer:
Romy G: .668"
Yugo M70: .688"

ill post pictures soon

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
The handguard retainer locking cut will need relocated further to the rear and the horizontal retainer slots in the side will need cut. A Yugo barrel can work if you want to invest the lathe time. If it is a nice barrel you can sell it for a Yugo build and buy a USA AKM barrel in chromelined with roper journals for $120. Just another option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
only took about thirty minutes on the lathe. all pin slots have to be re drilled cause it shallowed them up a bit. rear sight block is forward of yugo and handgaurd is also forward a little bit. i changed the handgaurd retainer. i took the two ridges out of it with a dremel so i didnt have to cut down that section of the barrel as much. i also chamfered the chamber end because that was in the akm barrel print not sure if it was needed but didnt wan to press it and have to take it back out.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
The handguard retainer should be further to the rear. The Yugo pins are different spacing and 2.5mm vs AKM 3mm pins in any case. Have fun with it:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The handguard retainer should be further to the rear. The Yugo pins are different spacing and 2.5mm vs AKM 3mm pins in any case. Have fun with it:)
you are correct i put my barrel in and have to press it back out and put it back on the lathe tomorrow. i didnt cut far enough back for the hand gaurd retainer. i should have listened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts