AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here do so? What rds do you use? I know Hornady makes a soft point rd, but anything safe for home use? I am assuming not, given the velocity of the rd. Just thinking about keeping a 30 rd mag loaded in my safe, and PERHAPS keeping a rifle in case under my bed with 30 rd mag loaded but not in gun. Don't know yet, but I've given it thought.

Hmmm....Also have a mossberg 590 pump. Could always throw some buckshot in that, keep it in a case under the bed. I guess its probably a better option.

Anyone keep an ak loaded for home defense???

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I keep a few 5.45 mags and a 7.62 mag loaded and ready to go in the safe. I see no problem with using them for home defense. But then again luckily the only time I've ever had to pull them out was when a predator was threatening my flock of chickens.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Light weight, high speed projectile carbines are excellent for home defense. There's been a bunch of research done, and penetration is similar to pistol rounds and even buckshot. Don't let mythology get in the way of choosing an AK74 or AR15 for your home defense tool of choice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would h/p be a better choice?

And does anyone have 5.45 hp?

I figure 30 rds out of something so loud and powerful would scare the hell out of someone. Most criminals might expect an armed intruder, but I doubt they would expect an ak.

Still considering it. My shotgun might also be ok....But thats only 9 rds.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have a 1000 round case of Wolf HP if you are interested pm me we can work out a deal.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've kept an AK in x39 or 5.45 loaded for home defense for the last few years...but with the hornady loads for those calibers. If I went to an AR I would probably get one in 300 blackout.

Originally this was because because I was in California, and an AK is easier for me to use than an AR when you take the featureless CA compliance route.

Now that I'm in AZ, it's due to the muzzle blast. Most of my trigger time these days is at an indoor range, and the muzzle blast from 5.45 & x39 is much less (to me at least) than from 5.56.

Of course, once my trust & NFA paperwork is all done then I'll have a silencer :cool:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Something to consider is the muzzle blast and flash from a 74 indoors in low light.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've kept an AK in x39 or 5.45 loaded for home defense for the last few years...but with the hornady loads for those calibers. If I went to an AR I would probably get one in 300 blackout.

Originally this was because because I was in California, and an AK is easier for me to use than an AR when you take the featureless CA compliance route.

Now that I'm in AZ, it's due to the muzzle blast. Most of my trigger time these days is at an indoor range, and the muzzle blast from 5.45 & x39 is much less (to me at least) than from 5.56.

Of course, once my trust & NFA paperwork is all done then I'll have a silencer :cool:
A silencer and a short barrel are my wet dream. But my home state will not allow either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With the correct ammo, it would make an excellent HD weapon. Your probability to hit the target will be much higher than with a pistol...theoretically. That being said, my HD weapon is my M&P 15-22 with 25rds of CCI. Only hits count and im not confident in my pistol skills under stress with my 3yo and 1.5yo daugters on the other end of the house.

HomecarbineWP.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Local LEO and I had a long talk about home defense. He said they are always responding to burgulary calls where a stray shot fired in a home hits a neighbor in their home. Our laws will
CYA in your home but if you shoot the neighbor with a stray, the gloves come off. I keep a 6 inch Taurus Judge with the personal defense loads for up close and personal and grab the
rifle only if checking a noise outside away from the neighbors home. I would perfer an AK in my home, but the LEO gave me his best advice and I followed it.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
im going to have to agree with this post.

i personally would NOT use any rifle for HD unless by some accident that was all you had available. Nothing wrong with keeping one ready, but for HD you should use a good ole semi auto pistol or 12ga shotty.

unless you're in a very red area, you are asking for potential legal trouble if you defend your life with an assault rifle. of course that's insanely wrong, but it's the world we live in, and personally a 12ga or pistol is vastly superior in terms of indoor maneuverability anyway.

i have not heard of that many instances of people hitting their neighbors inside their homes with rounds fired at burglars from inside adjacent homes. not saying it's not a common occurance, but personally i think its an extremely unlikely event unless you live in an apartment. even then, think of the odds of actually hitting someone in the next apartment....i don't think it's a common occurence.

Local LEO and I had a long talk about home defense. He said they are always responding to burgulary calls where a stray shot fired in a home hits a neighbor in their home. Our laws will
CYA in your home but if you shoot the neighbor with a stray, the gloves come off. I keep a 6 inch Taurus Judge with the personal defense loads for up close and personal and grab the
rifle only if checking a noise outside away from the neighbors home. I would perfer an AK in my home, but the LEO gave me his best advice and I followed it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Except it only proves that a 5.56 or 5.45 out penetrates a pistol round and can create much more collateral damage. Not hard to understand and a liability in that regard.
Where did you see that? The point of The Box Of Truth is to debunk the "overpenetration" myth. In fact, if you drill down further, you'll see that high speed/light weight rifle rounds have SIMILAR penetration characteristics to pistol rounds, with a higher probability to hit the target under stress. There are some fairly decent studies out there where .40 S&W actually penetrated more barrier than 55 gr. 5.56.

Sheriff deputy sez; Use bird shot so you don't destroy your home, LOL !
Only if you are stupid. Bird shot is insufficient to effectively kill a person, even at contact range. I have a friend who soaked up 3 rounds of 12 gauge #7 shot to the chest at near contact range. The perpetrator fled, he walked over to the wall phone, called 911 and then sat at the kitchen table to wait for the ambulance. They held him overnight, but was back home the next day. Lots of exterior tissue damage, but little penetration. The most damage was from the three wads, which broke ribs.

I am calling bullshit on your LEO. Stray bullets injuring/killing bystanders is an incredibly uncommon event.

The Judge and any other version of .410 pistol for self-defense is a bad idea. The .410 is a marginal self-defense weapon in a full length barreled gun. Putting it in a pistol only makes it worse, and in fact, the Judge is an ergonomic nightmare. You'd be better off with a S&W revolver in .45 LC or .45 ACP.

im going to have to agree with this post.

i personally would NOT use any rifle for HD unless by some accident that was all you had available. Nothing wrong with keeping one ready, but for HD you should use a good ole semi auto pistol or 12ga shotty.

unless you're in a very red area, you are asking for potential legal trouble if you defend your life with an assault rifle. of course that's insanely wrong, but it's the world we live in, and personally a 12ga or pistol is vastly superior in terms of indoor maneuverability anyway.

i have not heard of that many instances of people hitting their neighbors inside their homes with rounds fired at burglars from inside adjacent homes. not saying it's not a common occurance, but personally i think its an extremely unlikely event unless you live in an apartment. even then, think of the odds of actually hitting someone in the next apartment....i don't think it's a common occurence.
Name one instance of someone being selectively prosecuted for their use of weapon. This is often repeated but seldom actually documented.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
i will admit i can name no single instance where someone was prosecuted for "excessive force" and the pros made an issue of the "weapon of choice."

i admit i am just repeating internet lore there, but it does definitely seem plausible as the kind of "red flag" that some prosecutor might use to make it appear to irrational jurors that you acted when it was not "necessary."

like your tagline.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
i will admit i can name no single instance where someone was prosecuted for "excessive force" and the pros made an issue of the "weapon of choice."

i admit i am just repeating internet lore there, but it does definitely seem plausible as the kind of "red flag" that some prosecutor might use to make it appear to irrational jurors that you acted when it was not "necessary."

like your tagline.
That is fair. Thanks!

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you live on the middle of the 50 acres and your house surrounded by trees-it is OK. In the suburbs?! How you'll be able to live rest of your life if the next door child dies because of your actions? 7.62x39 steel core goes through 1 foot thick birch tree like nothing (seen it myself back in the late 70-s) so the way houses are built here in the US it is very unsafe IMHO. I'd rather consider 12GA shotgun, never a rifle.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts