AK Rifles banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Quick update: Century will release a "range mag" version of these without steel reinforcement that should be available for less than $10. They will also release them in new colors and a translucent polymer (unclear if these will have steel inside them or not). They will not let us know who is doing the molding.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Quick update: Century will release a "range mag" version of these without steel reinforcement that should be available for less than $10. They will also release them in new colors and a translucent polymer (unclear if these will have steel inside them or not). They will not let us know who is doing the molding.
Tapco rides again!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigSal

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It's a freaking Palm Tree man. Nothing else.
Do you think the nazis invented the Palm Tree? They took that as a symbol for the location they were in and added their own sign on top of the Tree.

Are we going to ban those trees now?

Here's something funny for you to think about.

I saw a US Navy veteran once. He survived Pearl Harbor attack. He owned (owns - I hope he is still alive, I don't know) a red Toyota Solara with a license plate frame stating he was a Pearl Harbor survivor.
Think about that for a second.

Anyway, I don't want to get these magazine because of other reasons.
I don't know what the quality is now that Century took over the company. There were complaints about the mag cracking if left loaded (it will not happen in my case).
Good quality polymer, poor quality polymer? IDK.
The other reason I am concerned about it is the design. Not being able to replace the follower or spring is not a good idea. Yes, they cheap enough to buy a new one in case some internal parts go bad.
At the same time if debris get inside the mag it would be a bitch to clean it up.

·
Registered
delete me
1,094 Posts
Its a nearly one for one copy of the Arfika Korps logo.
It's really not, it's just a palm tree. I'm really not understanding this.

I'm going to be totally honest, if the mag had a swastika on it, I would still rock it. I have magazines with commie stars, so what's the big difference? Not a whole lot in my eyes. I'm not a Nazi or a Communist. If someone wants to cry about it, then they better go find a XL box of tissue because I don't give a shit.

The mag has nothing to do with Nazis, the logo is not the same, and the vast majority of people have no idea what Afrika Corps even is. I had to do an image search on them to make the comparison. Nobody will ever suspect you of being a Nazi.

Or just buy pmags

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Don't get one man. It gives you ulcers.
We have a number of these headed our way for testing. Different build dates, different manufacturers, and different color polymer. I do not like the nazi imagery, but these things still need to be carefully evaluated by my team of experts...

(the experts are just me).

·
Registered
4 Posts
The US Palm logo resembling the Afrika Korps logo is preposterous. The only similarity is a generic palm tree, there is no swastika. There are palm trees on any number of products. What a completely ridiculous reason not to use a magazine. You could wear a US Palm t-shirt and 0.00% of everyone who looks at you would associate it with Nazis.

If anyone has hands-on experience using a US Palm AK-30R in a PSA GF3 specifically, I'm curious. Much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If anyone cares:

Thank you for sharing that.
The US Palm magazine with the translucent body is more popular than any of the other colours.
I thought that may be the case when we bought them.

Richard

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thank you for sharing that.
The US Palm magazine with the translucent body is more popular than any of the other colours.
I thought that may be the case when we bought them.

Richard
They'd look pretty cool in something like an AK103.

·
Registered
924 Posts
We have a number of these headed our way for testing. Different build dates, different manufacturers, and different color polymer. I do not like the nazi imagery, but these things still need to be carefully evaluated by my team of experts...

(the experts are just me).
Any updates?

Funny how the market has changed over ten years. Surplus mags are now relatively expensive and/or in used condition. The last surplus mags I picked up for cheap are somewhat rusty, etc. They still work okay but they're definitely used.

Now on the US market we have two versions of the US Palm. One with steel locking lugs and one without. Add to this similar offerings from Magpul and X-Tech. And now we have both waffle pattern and smooth plastic from Palmetto State. Not including mags from Pro Mag and a few others but it seems we're having a Renaissance of sorts with US high capacity murder clips. Used to be pretty much Tapco and surplus.

Also, from what Zeke Shoots and a few others are saying, the current US Palm look similar but are not the same mags as the originals. Different locking tabs for the base plate and a different polymer material used in construction. Apparently the new mags are not as durable as the old ones.

It sounds like the original US Palm have evolved and are now the X-Tech mags. Similar materials and construction but with a removable floor plate and a bolt hold open follower. X also offers a "military" mag with additional metal in the rear locking lug. It is supposed to be the toughest US mag to date. Whatever that means.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Any updates?

Funny how the market has changed over ten years. Surplus mags are now relatively expensive and/or in used condition. The last surplus mags I picked up for cheap are somewhat rusty, etc. They still work okay but they're definitely used.

Now on the US market we have two versions of the US Palm. One with steel locking lugs and one without. Add to this similar offerings from Magpul and X-Tech. And now we have both waffle pattern and smooth plastic from Palmetto State. Not including mags from Pro Mag and a few others but it seems we're having a Renaissance of sorts with US high capacity murder clips. Used to be pretty much Tapco and surplus.

Also, from what Zeke Shoots and a few others are saying, the current US Palm look similar but are not the same mags as the originals. Different locking tabs for the base plate and a different polymer material used in construction. Apparently the new mags are not as durable as the old ones.

It sounds like the original US Palm have evolved and are now the X-Tech mags. Similar materials and construction but with a removable floor plate and a bolt hold open follower. X also offers a "military" mag with additional metal in the rear locking lug. It is supposed to be the toughest US mag to date. Whatever that means.

I actually have a full set of these of every color save the off green they put out. I abandoned the project as the manufacturer changed, and I think you have a better handle on that then I do. Don't post here often, as most of the quality members have moved on.

I had mixed opinions of these. Didn't care for the logo, but loved the other aesthetics. Didn't care for the permanently attached floorplate, and one of the tan units I ran did bust open after it was thrown against a rock (or concrete, I couldn't tell and it was dark) but it was a newer (AK30R) mag, which aren't well built. In the end they worked OK save a few of them.

I did catch wind that the new formula AK30's being built by century will have a plum color coming out after SHOT. I'll probably drop it in the collection because why not at this point.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I actually have a full set of these of every color save the off green they put out. I abandoned the project as the manufacturer changed, and I think you have a better handle on that then I do. Don't post here often, as most of the quality members have moved on.

I had mixed opinions of these. Didn't care for the logo, but loved the other aesthetics. Didn't care for the permanently attached floorplate, and one of the tan units I ran did bust open after it was thrown against a rock (or concrete, I couldn't tell and it was dark) but it was a newer (AK30R) mag, which aren't well built. In the end they worked OK save a few of them.

I did catch wind that the new formula AK30's being built by century will have a plum color coming out after SHOT. I'll probably drop it in the collection because why not at this point.
True about membership change. But that's just the way it goes. AK parts are drying up and what's left floating around is pretty expensive. Only makes sense that the older members would move on and/or don't come around too often.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts