AK Rifles banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Agreed, nothing against US Palm as they do put out some really great products for the AK; but such an expensive magazine really doesn't seem to fit any need. Steel mags work great and have a proven track record, and if you want something lighter for the range than there are polymer models available for far less money.

I think some of my lack of enthusiasm has to do with how these were being "pimped" but certain individuals as the end-all/be-all of AK magazines. They are probably pretty good magazines, and I am glad that US Palm is making an effort to correct the deficiencies noted in the original design; but I don't see the need to drop so much cash on them when as I said, there are plenty of other options around.

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
441 Posts
Balloc
Poly mags are a great leap forward over metal mags, no question about that.

As far as weight, how far are most of us realy going to carry them? To the range and back? IF shtf realy ever happened I think reliability in a mag would be more of a factor than weight.

I also agree that US Palm missed the mark...buy a WIDE marging.
If your going to design a mag for the most commonly available military firearm in the world at least make the mag fit the commonly available webgear.

It is hard enought finding a decent, modern way of carring standard ak mags.
With the US Palm oversided mags I am forced to buy a $220 chest rig just to carry 4 mags.

No thanks, If steel mags where the only other choice I will suffer the extra weight of a better built, more reliable mag. After all, a weapon is only as reliable as its feeding device.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Belloc said:
Here is why. Steel mags are heavy as hell, and can be noisy. Polymer mags are much lighter, less noisy, and don't rust or dent. These are just some of the reasons Russia, China, ex Soviet Block satellites, etc, switched to polymer mags. I applaud U.S. Palm for taking the chance, even though I believe they missed the mark. Almost all my mags are Circle 10 for the reasons stated. When the Palm mags came out K-Var was charging $30 each for Circle 10 mags. However they then dropped the price to $25 in response to the perceived competition. When the reports of U.S. Palm mags cracking at the feed lips and having their base plate pop off started filling the various forums, K-Var then raised the price back up to $30 and now I think they are charging $35 each for them. So had U.S. Palm metal lined the feed lips as originally advertised, then we would have two great polymer mags to choose from and they would cost at least 20% less. Too bad.
I really wish someone would come on the scene and compete with k-var/arsenal. I havent bought a ((10)) waffle mag since 2008 because of the price hikes. If they would keep them from the 18-20 dollar mark I would buy more. I might even pay 21 but this 25,30,35 crap is crap. They are always back and forth, back and forth, now its fifty because they are rare, then oh look we found some in bulgaria imagine that. Hell for damn near the price they are charging I can buy soviet bakelites from Rguns. Ill keep the 11 I have, my steel mags and if Im going to buy some durable lighter mags Ill pay the extra couple dollars for bakes. Just my 2 cents.

BTW KMFDM thanks for the effort you put into testing the us palm mags.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
neinLG said:
Belloc said:
Here is why. Steel mags are heavy as hell, and can be noisy. Polymer mags are much lighter, less noisy, and don't rust or dent. These are just some of the reasons Russia, China, ex Soviet Block satellites, etc, switched to polymer mags. I applaud U.S. Palm for taking the chance, even though I believe they missed the mark. Almost all my mags are Circle 10 for the reasons stated. When the Palm mags came out K-Var was charging $30 each for Circle 10 mags. However they then dropped the price to $25 in response to the perceived competition. When the reports of U.S. Palm mags cracking at the feed lips and having their base plate pop off started filling the various forums, K-Var then raised the price back up to $30 and now I think they are charging $35 each for them. So had U.S. Palm metal lined the feed lips as originally advertised, then we would have two great polymer mags to choose from and they would cost at least 20% less. Too bad.
I really wish someone would come on the scene and compete with k-var/arsenal. I havent bought a ((10)) waffle mag since 2008 because of the price hikes. If they would keep them from the 18-20 dollar mark I would buy more. I might even pay 21 but this 25,30,35 crap is crap. They are always back and forth, back and forth, now its fifty because they are rare, then oh look we found some in bulgaria imagine that. Hell for damn near the price they are charging I can buy soviet bakelites from Rguns. Ill keep the 11 I have, my steel mags and if Im going to buy some durable lighter mags Ill pay the extra couple dollars for bakes. Just my 2 cents.

BTW KMFDM thanks for the effort you put into testing the us palm mags.
Someone did. He went by the handle of 'Chief Thunder' on the boards and kept the prices at $7 where they REALLY belong. When his compitition went away and 'Arsenal/KVAR' in Lost Wages nailed down their monopoly the real screwing the customer began.

Between this and the fact they rape you on shipping and never seem to have the parts they list is why they have pretty much lost me as a customer.

Now the only Circle 10 waffles I buy is the used ones on the various boards from folks who are not continuing the screwing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Chief Thunder was an asshole deluxe, but he did bring prices down considerably. I remember K-var advertising 30 round bulgarian waffle mags for over $75 each in Shotgun News during the 90's. After Chief started importing them, K-var dropped their prices to $11. Once Chief got busted, K-var's prices shot up again, and have been on the rise ever since.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
GlockCollector said:
Chief Thunder was an asshole deluxe, but he did bring prices down considerably. I remember K-var advertising 30 round bulgarian waffle mags for over $75 each in Shotgun News during the 90's. After Chief started importing them, K-var dropped their prices to $11. Once Chief got busted, K-var's prices shot up again, and have been on the rise ever since.
What happened to make him stop?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
From the M4Carbine forum:

SPQR476 said:
I was a big fan of these for a while, but after some issues with the durability of the sheet metal cage, I use them for range and training and waffle circle 10s and polish steels are back as my go to mags. The sheet metal is too thin and just wraps around the locking tab, so a drop or impact on the tab will still crush the tab or tear it free. They function well, though, and are a decent bit more durable than current unreinforced mags. I do wish they could be disassembled, though.

Dave_M said:
Here's one of the problems I had:

Functional (at the time--not anymore) magazine on top and dicked up one below.

The lining bent from simply dropping into prone actively. It popped out when it hit the deck. When re-inserted, you could knock it out by slapping it or simply firing.

I have not had this problem with Circle-10's, ever (likely because of the fully-metal rear as opposed to metal-lined).

These cut away photos show the difference between the metal reinforcing between these and the Bulgarian mags in the pics below. Please also notice the difference in the reinforcing between the two Bulgarian mags.

And if these are important considerations for anyone, US Palm Mags:
-do not have a full magazine witness hole.
-will not fit in the new SIG 556R 7.62x39 rifle.
-will not work with Solar Tactical's MFER mag funnel (unless you dremel it or the mags)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Is there a reason you are shouting?
How did you fit the back tab into the magloadder?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I hate to resurrect this one, but......

Now that these can be had for $14, what is the consensus here?

The Gabe Suarez and nazi logo stuff aside: should this magazine be considered now that prices have dropped?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I hate to resurrect this one, but......

Now that these can be had for $14, what is the consensus here?

The Gabe Suarez and nazi logo stuff aside: should this magazine be considered now that prices have dropped?
I haven't really followed American AK mag development and wonder how these compare to the newer Magpul mags with the metal reinforcements. If nothing else Magpul is more likely to stand behind their mags and replace them if they break or have other issues.

With that said, the US Palm mags are not a bad looking product. They give you US parts count (as do Magpuls) so there's that aspect if you need it. Maybe buy one just for the novetly.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigSal

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Big Sal, if you want to leave it UNLOADED you should be OK for a range mag I cut mine in half when the feed lips cracked after leaving it loaded for two months sealed in a GI ammo can by itself in an air conditioned room. After that I cut it in half to see where and how much metal reinforcement was there vs PALM's claims. There were three of us there for the cutting so folks would know we did not rig the pictures or the magazine.

After that is when lots more folks started having problems with them. Also do NOT drop after it is loaded.

PALM said they beefed up things, but folks only get to lie to me ONCE!

You might want to look at the picture in the following thread.

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/20-magazines/111480-palm-mag-failure.html

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Maybe buy one just for the novetly.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
You know how we do it man, one isn't enough! =P
Seriously though, if it wasn't for the weird logo, I probably would own a pouch of them already.

Big Sal, if you want to leave it UNLOADED you should be OK for a range mag I cut mine in half when the feed lips cracked after leaving it loaded for two months sealed in a GI ammo can by itself in an air conditioned room. After that I cut it in half to see where and how much metal reinforcement was there vs PALM's claims. There were three of us there for the cutting so folks would know we did not rig the pictures or the magazine.

After that is when lots more folks started having problems with them. Also do NOT drop after it is loaded.

PALM said they beefed up things, but folks only get to lie to me ONCE!

You might want to look at the picture in the following thread.

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/20-magazines/111480-palm-mag-failure.html
I was in on that thread years ago, and had forgotten about it. They did improve the product through the generations. New polymer company has the molds and might be using something better or worse for the new units. I do not know which company molds them after Molded Devices lost the rights to the molds.

FWIW Century owns the brand now.
I am less concerned with the brand than I am with the molding company. But I do not know enough about polymers to really tell you if the newer company does better than the previous. I do know that the Molded Devices "Mag47" magazines look ugly as fuck and I do kind of like the aesthetic of the US Palm magazines better.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts