AK Rifles banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Re: US Palm Magazine Test (Update 08 Aug-Test 3 begun)

Belloc said:
Over on WT it was just posted that 2 more AK30 mags had their bottoms pop off and everything spill out on the deck so apparently it is possible to remove the base plate of these mags after all.

U.S. Palm AK30 base plate removal procedure:
1. Load mag.
I wonder how many this report on there will get banned.

Just think the more of the PALM mags that gets sold, the smaller that site will get. LOL

·
Super Moderator
10,335 Posts

IIRC, they were suppose to be using a aviation grade adhesive to bond the lower cap. Looks like there was very little to no adhesive used. Also, surface prep for most adhesives is very critical.

While still a bad design IMHO, this failure looks to be more lack of quality control than anything.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

Heya Guys: Sorry its been awhile since I updated last. I had to discontinue the tests for the time being as future trips back downrange to the particular place I was visiting are probably not going to happen again. I had to have a buddy bring back the mags since the areas I was working in are being closed out. I am going to begin my testing where I left off and leaving outside in my non-heated closed in garage for cold weather testing. I will continue phase 3 soon- until I can get my re-deployment schedule figured out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hawk45 said:
Best I can tell so far is the 'improvement' is firing the guy that 'glued' on the bottoms and a BIG new advertising campaign in the new AK magazine (reading type).

Anybody find it interesting that in 'Gabe's' article in the same mag he is using either circle 10 mags or metal ones?

Unless the new 'third' hole is showing metal in the feed lips, I'll pass.
It would take more than metal in the feedlips to get me to buy them... I tested some gen2 and they failed horribly. I only had 7 rounds handy when I received them. I figured I had plenty mags to test fresh fully loaded. I went ahead loaded what I had in one and dropped it about four feet on concrete hitting the rear of the floor plate and the feedlips busted! I didnt even bother with a fully loaded mag after that. I saw all I needed to see. I didn't throw it down, just dropped it. I then locked one in and hit the back of it with my palm and it broke the rear mag catch and distorted the sad thin unheattreated metal "reinforcement" band. I didn't hammer fist it, just a good solid slap! I then put one in and knocked it from the other side and it almost completely ripped out the metal insert from the top of the mag and busted off the feedlips in doing so...

I don't know how these guys can claim they are the most advanced ak mag. They are expensive crap. The material they are using is nothing special at all and very brittle. Probably because they mixed something with the nylon to let the adhesive react with the material. Nothing reacts with pure nylon that would allow them to molecularly bond... If you ask me they are false advertising these and dying for a class action. It would only take me 5 minutes to undisputidly prove they are no where close to the most advanced ak mag... Past the jank floorplate they look nice and no doubt spent a lot of money to produce these but in my opinion they arent even as good as tapcos. At least the tapcos I tried didn't break the feedlips when I dropped them the same exact way a few times... The stainless steel insert in the mag is the nonmagnetic 300 series which isn't heattreatable. As thin as it is I don't think it would matter much if it was. Also the plastic material isn't strong enough to hold it in place... I just don't see why a company would throw that much money at a project and settle for and release such an inferior mag and with such big claims... Even if the US Palm mag had military grade steel inserts throughout and a removable floor plate the plastic they are using would still be inferior to military surplus mags. Save your money as I am guessing a third generation isn't going to be better than cheap surplus. I just don't see them addressing everything and wouldn't trust them if they said they did. After all their bogus claims I wouldn't beleive a word they said. In my opinion , which is supported by the facts, they are either incompetent or liars (or both) and each by itself has no place in the firearms industry.

Feel free to copy this post in other threads review the mags. Save your brother his hard earned money.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Someone told me US Palm has a new version of this magazine out with a new "dual plastic clip" which helps hold the glued on floor plate. Is this true? Anyone have the newest generation AK30, or a picture of the clips???

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Belloc said:
BigSal said:
Someone told me US Palm has a new version of this magazine out with a new "dual plastic clip" which helps hold the glued on floor plate. Is this true? Anyone have the newest generation AK30, or a picture of the clips???

belloc:> have you tested this batch yet? I am hesitant to purchase more of these myself.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Wow, glad I stumbled across this thread! As many of you know, there was a rather glowing review of these mags and other US Palm products in the last issue of Guns & Ammo's The Complete Book of the AK-47 that was tempting me to buy a few of them. I have a couple of TAPCO mags for range use, but otherwise it's all steel for me. The hype in the article was that the US Palm mags were as good as steel, if I recall correctly.

This is one thing I appreciate the most about this forum, the commitment to honesty. Had there been disagreement with KMFDM's review, it would be allowed; and the truth would have been made clear.

Thanks KMFDM for the review, it has convinced me to hold off on spending 2-3x as much on these mags as what the average steelie (and TAPCO) ones cost. For that money, I do expect it to be at least 2-3x better, and that doesn't seem to be the case. My hard-earned cash can and will be better spent elsewhere!

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Belloc said:
US Palm sent me 5 of the new AK30s (plus an AK Battlegrip, and a bunch of swag which was first class I thought).

Belloc, Did you pay for them? I am confused as to why you would purchase 5 of them for testing given the plethora of threads across the net dealing with their short comings. :confused:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Belloc said:
No, they were a sent as a replacement for the broken one. When contacted they said they would gladly replace the one that broke, however after two weeks it did not arrive. When I contacted them again the person was not sure why it had not yet shipped, apologized for the wait, and then sent 5 mags and a bunch of other things.

Wow, thats a great score! Keep us posted as to how they work for you.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My question about this whole mess would be...."Why do we need a US made mag that costs 2 to 3x what a authentic military designed and tested mag would cost?"
I understand the whole US parts count train of thought, but hey, we do have US floor plates and followers already.

Seems like these mags are an aswerer to a question that nobody asked.

I even think US Palm used that line in one of the ads I've seen.

If I wanted US made mags I'd tote a AR.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
bearclaw said:
My question about this whole mess would be...."Why do we need a US made mag that costs 2 to 3x what a authentic military designed and tested mag would cost?"
I understand the whole US parts count train of thought, but hey, we do have US floor plates and followers already.

Seems like these mags are an aswerer to a question that nobody asked.

I even think US Palm used that line in one of the ads I've seen.

If I wanted US made mags I'd tote a AR.
Cause Gabe says we need 'em of course :bsflag:

61 - 80 of 120 Posts