AK Rifles banner

US manufactured trunnions and other stuff we need.

12K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  cork 
#1 ·
This is a spinoff of BLACKTALONS thread and thought i would start a thread here where we can discuss getting industry to start the ball rolling on QUALITY US manufactured parts. Parts kits are drying up, and as we all know barrels are all but gone. I dont know about anyone else but having a solid domestic manufacturing base of HIGH QUALITY parts available makes me tingle in my nether regions. We currently have very good barrels and superb recievers. Throw in the G2 trigger as well. That leaves ...

Trunnions

Bolts

Bolt carriers

Rear sight bases

Gas blocks

Front sight bases

Gas block/FSB combo's

etc, etc.

I am in no way interested in being one of the multitude of outfits in a race to the bottom of the barrel for AK quality, but i cant speak for everyone. Having the ability to take an out of spec part back to a domestic manufacturer VS. the "well shit...guess i better buy another parts kit" route would be very valuable to me.

I am in contact with an outfit in the Industry and they are very interested as well (at least for trunnions as that is all i have mentioned at this point) and should have pricing and specs for a US made precision built,Russian Pattern 23mm AKM trunnion in about a week to 10 days. I will post more about that when i know more.

I also just ran across this via google. Anyone have any info on these guys trunnions?

Suburban Arsenal, LLC US Made AK-47 Type 23mm Front Trunnion SA-RU1974-US

So..what does everyone think?

See less See more
#9 ·
I could see Type-1 front and rear trunnions being an item that people would be willing to pay dearly for.

Then again, it would just lead to a bunch of people breaking up 1951 Type-2 front-ends in order to get the barrel and components for their T1 builds.

#14 ·
I'm trying to get some 100 series combo blocks going, but I don't have one on hand and I need to get drawings and dimension for it. I posted up another thread, but if anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.
I would like to know more.

#12 ·
It'd be very hard to manufacture a competitively priced AK with all US made parts right now, when there are parts kits coming over from Europe far cheaper than you could make here. When the supply really dries up, or if the laws change it might be feasible. If you look, both tortort and suburban are asking 125$ for a USA made trunnion- and these are billet not even a forged trunnion like you'd get from even the lowliest foreign arsenal. Right now I wouldn't pay much more than 50-75$ for a standard AKM/74 trunnion, let alone a USA made version with no pedigree of service.

#13 ·
Tortorts trunnions are $66.00 for the non chinese version. Also, akbuilder has polish trunnions for $85.00.

While you may not pay $50-$75 for a trunnion there are plenty of people that will. Sometimes that's all that's needed to complete their kit that's been sitting on their workbench for the last year.

#28 ·
I dont see why there isnt a US built rifle. We're paying $1000+ for quality rifles as it is. Hell we pay that much for used Chicoms and even for parts kits. Any AR builder in the country can pump out $1000-1500 ARs and we dont flinch at that. So why not an AK? Especially if it is a high quality US built rifle from quality material on quality machines with uniform fit and finish and greater accuracy than foreign built rifles.

#30 ·
Akblue has some good points and is spot on for alot of us collectors. Part of the thing about collecting AKs is seeing all the differences between each countrys rifles. Knowing that a rifle was used in a conflict around the world and is now in you possession has a certain history feeling too it.

As far as a US made Ak, there is always the century centurion39. Even has a big old American flag on it!

#29 ·
I think the market for a US made AK type weapon is quite small. A large part of owners want the "originality" of a weapon with at least some commbloc parts etc., or as many as possible in many cases.
Personally., an all USA made AK., for me, has zero attraction.
Not saying there is not some people who want a USA made AK., but not a lot., I do not think.

#31 ·
I know this thread is a few months old, but I just came across it so I thought I'd chime in.

We started making the US front trunnions simply because we could not get hold of any import parts for our own builds. It was frustrating and we had the ability, so we jumped in to help other folks in the same position. For the most part, it's been a positive experience. Of course, the big issue is always going to be price. I'd love to sell a $50 trunnion, but it's just not feasible. That is the rub for US made AK47 parts. The time and resources it takes to make them boosts the cost over the traditional imported parts.

If you make a load of US parts, your build kit is going to be just as expensive as a new rifle, if not more in some cases. For me, that's where we see the difference between the guys who just want an AK47 and the guys who want to build their own AK47. There's something about building it that some people won't ever get or, on the flipside, get to enjoy.

Now, adding a pile of US parts does mean it's not an "original" AK, but I'm one of the guys who likes the idea of a US built AK47. Sure, I like the Chinese and the Russian and the Bulgarian and pretty much every other variant in their original forms, but I also like the idea of a rifle built completely of US parts.

#36 ·
We're currently producing 23mm Euro type trunnions. I just secured a Mak-90 kit this week to fully test our 19mm trunnions, so those should be available in the next few weeks. Pics of the 23mm are on our product page, here: Suburban Arsenal, LLC US Made AK-47 Type 23mm Front Trunnion SA-RU1974-US

I'm at the airport so I don't have access to post pics directly, so please excuse the blatant product placement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.