AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a spinoff of BLACKTALONS thread and thought i would start a thread here where we can discuss getting industry to start the ball rolling on QUALITY US manufactured parts. Parts kits are drying up, and as we all know barrels are all but gone. I dont know about anyone else but having a solid domestic manufacturing base of HIGH QUALITY parts available makes me tingle in my nether regions. We currently have very good barrels and superb recievers. Throw in the G2 trigger as well. That leaves ...

Trunnions

Bolts

Bolt carriers

Rear sight bases

Gas blocks

Front sight bases

Gas block/FSB combo's

etc, etc.

I am in no way interested in being one of the multitude of outfits in a race to the bottom of the barrel for AK quality, but i cant speak for everyone. Having the ability to take an out of spec part back to a domestic manufacturer VS. the "well shit...guess i better buy another parts kit" route would be very valuable to me.

I am in contact with an outfit in the Industry and they are very interested as well (at least for trunnions as that is all i have mentioned at this point) and should have pricing and specs for a US made precision built,Russian Pattern 23mm AKM trunnion in about a week to 10 days. I will post more about that when i know more.

I also just ran across this via google. Anyone have any info on these guys trunnions?

Suburban Arsenal, LLC US Made AK-47 Type 23mm Front Trunnion SA-RU1974-US

So..what does everyone think?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention... Cold hammer forged barrels as well but there arent many companies busting those out in the states and doing them for AK's...who knows.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
too expensive to do correctly in this country.
I could see Type-1 front and rear trunnions being an item that people would be willing to pay dearly for.

Then again, it would just lead to a bunch of people breaking up 1951 Type-2 front-ends in order to get the barrel and components for their T1 builds.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I'm trying to get some 100 series combo blocks going, but I don't have one on hand and I need to get drawings and dimension for it. I posted up another thread, but if anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It'd be very hard to manufacture a competitively priced AK with all US made parts right now, when there are parts kits coming over from Europe far cheaper than you could make here. When the supply really dries up, or if the laws change it might be feasible. If you look, both tortort and suburban are asking 125$ for a USA made trunnion- and these are billet not even a forged trunnion like you'd get from even the lowliest foreign arsenal. Right now I wouldn't pay much more than 50-75$ for a standard AKM/74 trunnion, let alone a USA made version with no pedigree of service.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
It'd be very hard to manufacture a competitively priced AK with all US made parts right now, when there are parts kits coming over from Europe far cheaper than you could make here. When the supply really dries up, or if the laws change it might be feasible. If you look, both tortort and suburban are asking 125$ for a USA made trunnion- and these are billet not even a forged trunnion like you'd get from even the lowliest foreign arsenal. Right now I wouldn't pay much more than 50-75$ for a standard AKM/74 trunnion, let alone a USA made version with no pedigree of service.
Tortorts trunnions are $66.00 for the non chinese version. Also, akbuilder has polish trunnions for $85.00.

While you may not pay $50-$75 for a trunnion there are plenty of people that will. Sometimes that's all that's needed to complete their kit that's been sitting on their workbench for the last year.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I'm trying to get some 100 series combo blocks going, but I don't have one on hand and I need to get drawings and dimension for it. I posted up another thread, but if anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.
I would like to know more.

·
Technical Advisor
16,056 Posts
Milspec AKM trunnions routinely sell for $90-$100. That is the market.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I just got some drawings and I have a guy with a rapid prototype setup so hopefully I'll have these going soon. I had a request to time it for Russian brakes/boosters and I'm looking into that.
Awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Tortorts trunnions are $66.00 for the non chinese version. Also, akbuilder has polish trunnions for $85.00.

While you may not pay $50-$75 for a trunnion there are plenty of people that will. Sometimes that's all that's needed to complete their kit that's been sitting on their workbench for the last year.
I agree that people will often pay more than the dollar amount I cited, that is just the reasonable limit for myself. If you go to gunbroker you can see things selling for outrageous prices- it doesn't mean that is the norm.

Regarding those polish trunnions- they appear to be the unfinished trunnions RobertRTG.com was selling recently, I know because I bought a few. They were about 85% completed in Poland before they were shipped here. I don't consider that a US made trunnion for the purposes of this discussion. had they been made from untouched billet entirely in the US, I think the price would be much higher.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Milspec AKM trunnions routinely sell for $90-$100. That is the market.
I haven't kept abreast of the current market value. Would you agree that the price of a front trunnion will likely dip lower when the next batch of kits hits the US market?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts