AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
it's probably for weapons familiarization and training or some kind of foreign aid.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Seems like a lot of magazines for training. And why train with 7.62x39 and not with 5.45x39 which is what their potential adversary will field?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Ross said:
Certain countries can buy through the US military at DoD prices. It's a form of military aid.
Like Eygpt?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
We're buying mags for the Afghan Army.
I was going through an amnesty box and recovered a shrink-wrapped pack of 6 eastern european made mags and even NIW Tapco AK mags!

·
Super Moderator
25,782 Posts
BigSal said:
Seems like a lot of magazines for training. And why train with 7.62x39 and not with 5.45x39 which is what their potential adversary will field?
The majority of AKs we are running up against are the 7.62x39 variety. Probably foreign aid and training materials.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
JoeMomma said:
BigSal said:
The majority of AKs we are running up against are the 7.62x39 variety. Probably foreign aid and training materials.
I did not know that. I guess Iraq was using the round, but I kinda figured the afghans mostly used 5.45.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
JoeMomma said:
BigSal said:
I would say this is pretty accurate after seeing the price diffrence hodgie pays for the 7,62 vice the 5,45. Didn't we outfit the Iraqis and Afghans with 7,62 AMD rifles?

·
Super Moderator
25,782 Posts
When I saw Iraqi forces with new AKs, they were all Bulgarian ((10))s. While I have little doubt that there are 5.45 AKs in use by the Taliban and other foreign fighters, most of the AKs in Afghanistan are the original caliber 7.62.

I was using an AK crate for a footlocker in Iraq that was Bulgarian and the markings were all in English.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
heartbreakridge01 said:
I would say this is pretty accurate after seeing the price diffrence hodgie pays for the 7,62 vice the 5,45. Didn't we outfit the Iraqis and Afghans with 7,62 AMD rifles?
Don't forget all those ARs we gave the ANA! :bullshit:

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
BigSal said:
JoeMomma said:
BigSal said:
I did not know that. I guess Iraq was using the round, but I kinda figured the afghans mostly used 5.45.
They will actually convert 5.45 AKs to 7.62

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Stottman said:
BigSal said:
JoeMomma said:
BigSal said:
This is one of the only places on the internet where I learn something regularly. :allright:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
BigSal said:
Stottman said:
BigSal said:
JoeMomma said:
BigSal said:
This is one of the only places on the internet where I learn something regularly. :allright:
:amen:

·
Registered
845 Posts
SVDS said:
Ross said:
Certain countries can buy through the US military at DoD prices. It's a form of military aid.
Like Eygpt?
Like alot of countries.

The Foreign Military Sales Program (FMS) is administered by the Defense Security Cooperation Agency. Vast majority of military sales fall under this program. I don't know the numbers these days, but FMS has accounted for over 90% of military sales from the USA in years past. To give you an idea of just how much money we're talking about, during the Cold War, during some years FMS accounted for over 40% of all military sales in the world. If you think about just how much stuff that really is, considering just how much the USSR and everyone else was trying to sell at the time, and you can get an idea of just how big a slice of the economy this is.

Under FMS the DSCA acts as the purchasing agent for the foreign government. The DSCA recieves a request from a foreign government, then checks to make sure filling it won't impact our readiness, and then contracts with the supplier to fill the request. There's a list of countries that are eligible, and they have to be approved by the POTUS to get on the list. From what I understand, the list in divided up into two groups. The first group is countries like most of NATO, Australlia, Japan, etc. that don't really need a huge political approval process once DoD hacks off on it. The other group requires State Dept approval for major items, but otherwise there is no requirement for State Dept approval. Some items are subject to Congressional approval. Congressional approval on these items may not be required under a certain dollar amount.

Then basically, the DoD buys the stuff and sends it to the foreign government. The USA uses funds from the foreign government for payment, and charges a fee. So if we sell something to Belgium for example, the Belgians would pay the DoD to buy whatever it was, and the DoD would buy it from the supplier in the US and charges a fee. Obviously, with some countires the actual original source of the funding might get kinda hazy, but the mechanism is the same.

Military Assistance Program (MAP) is an actual grant of aid. Under MAP, the DSCA simply buys the stuff from the supplier and it is shipped to the foreign government without any payment to the USA.

Private sales, where a private party buys from a private party and sells to another party, or foreign government, and commercial sales, where the supplier sells directly to the foreign government, get handled by the State Department and the DoD doesn't deal with it.

http://www.dsca.mil/

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/reports/intro_congnotify.html

1 - 20 of 25 Posts