AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the US barrels put on new underfolder Yugo AKs thicker or thinner than the original barrels? I have read that Yugo AKs are often "overbuilt", meaning thicker barrels and thicker handgaurds and whatnot (I know Yugo handgaurds are not interchangeable for this reason).

I know the US barrels are chromed, but are they also as thick as the Yugo barrels or thinner?

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
Damn good question. Should probably make contact with Century Arms and talk to someone who can give you straight and correct info........

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If someone has a Yugo kit and a US barreled underfolder... can they please take the handgaurd off and measure or look at them?

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
I wouldn't think it would have changed. Hell the front half would have to be the same for the fsb gb and retainer. I don't think they would redesign the barrel for the back half. The probably just took measurements and made it as close as they could. Turning the barrel would take more time and energy than century is known for. Of course I really don't know, thats just my thinking.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I believe they are the same thickness, but not the same steel, which makes a difference.

Also, the US barrels are not chrome lined as far as I know, neither where the originals.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Templar said:
I believe they are the same thickness, but not the same steel, which makes a difference.

Also, the US barrels are not chrome lined as far as I know, neither where the originals.
Obviously the old ones were not, but I kept reading that the new ones are. Maybe someone could give us 100% on that...?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new ones are chromed, someone with a US built underfolder with US barrel on ARF.com showed his off and said it's definately chrome, very easy to clean and looks like his other AK barrels.

·
Registered
86 Posts
called century awhile back. CAI yugos have US barrels with the same specs as the original yugos. they are also not chromed like the surplus ones. so that what they say. :smile:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Were there two suppliers of barrels, or two companies making Yugo AKs with US barrels? Somehow the guy on ARF.com got a chromed barrel... :confused:

The Yugos are built on 1.6mm stamped recievers, right?

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
My best friend bought one yesterday. DCI receiver, non chromed barrel, fit and finish was great.. Underfolder seemed pretty tight...I'll post some pics and run about 500 rounds through it with several different mags and ammo and post a report later this weekend.....( He was my guinea pig, I may have to get one if his runs well....) :twisted:

·
Registered
60 Posts
As of 02-19-07, (when I called), CIA stated that all of the Yugo M70 barrels are NOT chrome lined, have the same barrel thickness as the original Yugos and use higher grade steel than the originals.

Only issue I have with mine after 600 rnds is trigger slap, however that is an easy fix.

·
Banned
4,359 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Were there two suppliers of barrels, or two companies making Yugo AKs with US barrels? Somehow the guy on ARF.com got a chromed barrel... :confused:

The Yugos are built on 1.6mm stamped recievers, right?
I'm almost 100% sure they are not chromed. They may look chromed because they are brand new. I have two new virgin Yugo barrels that are so shiny that they looked chromed but they're not.

·
Registered
176 Posts
'shiney' does not nessesarly mean 'chromed'.... my Century model is NOT chromed. Don't fret, still gets above avg accuracy, and because all is 'overbuilt', recoil seems like a push, than a kick, after shooting 300+ rds of course :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a stock barrel that has deaper rifling

The replacement barrel does not have the rifling as deap. This will help in cleaning. Not sure if the replacement is US or yugo

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
SVT said:
New US production barrels are also button rifled.

Yep. This is why I bought three new Zastava made barrels from CFS. I like the factory barrels and just wanted to stick with them. They'll take some work to use. The extractor area needs milled, the hand gaurd retainer slot needs cut and the barrel will need drilled for the gas block. But they are factory barrels!

I bought a spare hand gaurd retainer. I plan to remove the lever and shaft from it and use it as a drill guide to drill a slot in the barrel. I figure that has to be easy than hand fitting it like I did on my Tabuk build. Anyone else try this yet? How'd it work?

·
Banned
471 Posts
Sidecarnutz said:
SVT said:
New US production barrels are also button rifled.

Yep. This is why I bought three new Zastava made barrels from CFS. I like the factory barrels and just wanted to stick with them. They'll take some work to use. The extractor area needs milled, the hand gaurd retainer slot needs cut and the barrel will need drilled for the gas block. But they are factory barrels!

I bought a spare hand gaurd retainer. I plan to remove the lever and shaft from it and use it as a drill guide to drill a slot in the barrel. I figure that has to be easy than hand fitting it like I did on my Tabuk build. Anyone else try this yet? How'd it work?
same way I just fit a new zastava rpk barrel . It works like a charm. Just finished the build yesterday . I did have the extractor cut out cnc machined at a local shop where I have a friend that snuck in some time on the machine for me .

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Barrels

Sidecar,
I'm with you on that. While the original mil-spec barrels are available, I will use them. I replaced the barrel with a new Zastava on my M70 underfolder and I bought another recently to use on my Milled M70 build. If I had no choice. I'd use the American made barrel, but while I can get Zastavas, I'll use them.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Where do you buy these Yugo barrels? They only ones I found so far are used.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts