AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I would like to say how great it is to see another AK forum up and running.

I'm looking for a little help on a little project I'm contemplating. I've got an Arsenal SA-93 that I've had for a few years now. I really like the quality and ruggedness of this gun but it has always kind of bugged me that the rifle had to be neutered in order to make it ban compliant. I would really like to make some changes to the rifle and give it a more classic AK look. I have purchased a US made stock set, FCG and gas piston to stay legal with these changes. I would also like to add an original FSB and gas block to get the bayonet lug and slots for the cleaning rod. I would also like to add a slant muzzle break. Now on to my questions...

1.Where is a good place to get the FSB and gas block? I would like these parts to be original Bulgarian, but after looking around for a while, I haven't found anyone that seems to have these in stock.
2.I'm planning on installing a US made slant muzzle break and I've been told that I can have the barrel re-treaded to do this even though the original threads have already been removed. Am I better off having the barrel re-threaded or is it wiser to just have the new break welded on (concerned about the amount of metal left on the tip of the barrel if it is re-threaded).
3.On a 1-10 scale, how difficult would it be for me to try these mods on my own. I've researched the FSB, gas block, gas piston R&R and I feel pretty confident in attempting these steps. The re-threading and or welding of the muzzle break I would like to have done by a gunsmith.
4.Finally, is there someplace that specializes in AK work that I could send the gun to and have these mods done if I decided not to attempt them myself?

Thanks for any and all help with this....

·
Registered
943 Posts
1. K-Var or second hand. Global might have them also.
2. On my SA-93, the bbl had never been threaded, so threading it wasn't a problem. I imagine yours is the same way.
3. 5 or 6, maybe.
4. Yes

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mbsk01,
Thanks for the info, I'll give Global and K-VAR a call on Monday. How could I tell if the barrel has never been threaded? I've noticed that the end seems somewhat smaller in diameter that the barrel behind the front sight. Also, could you elaborate on who might specialize in AK work or reccommend a place?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'd suggest measuring the bbl, and posting what it is.

Here is a list of companies that are known to me who do AK work.

AK-USA
AZ Expert Arms
Coyote Gulch Armory
The Firing Line
Global Military Gunsmithing
InRange
Investment Grade Firearms
Marshall Arms
Piece of History Firearms
Red Stick Firearms
Sledgehammer Arms

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally got my converted SA-93 back and put together with all the necessary compliance parts. The Park job came out a little light and the photos make it look more grey than it really is, but other than that I think it came out pretty good... :smile:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the positive comments everyone! Now I just have to figure out where to go from here. I'd love to have a Krink, but the great state of WA won't allow it. Maybe something in an AK-74 flavor perhaps.... :razz:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hkinfl said:
It looks good, I need a milled 7.62. Can I ask why you refinished it?
Well, I wanted a durable finish and I thought a dull, flat parkerized finish would look good. I wish it had come out a little darker but it seems to be growing on me. I figure I can always Gunkote it later if I decide to...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
you should be able to get a Krink with a permanatly attached fake can to get the barrel out to the 16in mark,..plus you could always take it off if you move and do the SBR paperwork.

after shooting the AK-47,..a AK-74 will feel like a cap gun,...but i love mine,.. i built a AKS-74,.. and i have a
AKS-74U in a box waiting to be built,...once i get my refund i am going to pick up a fixed stock AK-74,.. then i will only have one more 5.45 AK to get the parts for and build.

sorry for being a blabber mouth,.. i really like my 74's

nice looking rifle,...do you have a "before" picture?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cruzie27 said:
you should be able to get a Krink with a permanatly attached fake can to get the barrel out to the 16in mark,..plus you could always take it off if you move and do the SBR paperwork.

after shooting the AK-47,..a AK-74 will feel like a cap gun,...but i love mine,.. i built a AKS-74,.. and i have a
AKS-74U in a box waiting to be built,...once i get my refund i am going to pick up a fixed stock AK-74,.. then i will only have one more 5.45 AK to get the parts for and build.

sorry for being a blabber mouth,.. i really like my 74's

nice looking rifle,...do you have a "before" picture?
I thought of maybe getting a Krink with the fake can, but it just wouldn't be the same and I'm probably not moving anytime soon. As for the before pics, I did have one but it must have gotten deleted somehow. It was just a bone stock SA-93 though, if that gives any reference.

Like I said, I'm really starting to want an AK-74. I'm just an impulse away from calling ORF and having them send me one of the sidefolders they have listed on their site (do you have any experience with their rifles by the way?). Also, I'm kind of concerned about the ammo issue. I've been looking around for some 5.45 and "there ain't none!" That's probably the biggest thing holding me back right now....

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
the ammo comes and goes,..so when it is around you need to stock up,..i dont know about there rifles,.. but everyone likes the kits,..i got a M-92 kit from them that was pretty sweet,.. as soon as i get my refund i am getting a 74 kit and a few other parts from them so ill let you know soon enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts