AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He made them...check the end of the thread!!!

I talked to Curtis today about making a tool to dome the inside of the rivets instead of just flatening them. This would be like the original Bulgy 74's are done.

He said if there was enough people wanting them he could make them. He didnt say how many people he would need to make them or how much they would be. I'm sure they would be worth it. He said he would heat treat them so they would be good for awile!

This would be for his jig. Let me know if your interested. I'm shooting for 20 people. This doesnt mean your commited, just trying to see if I can get 20 people interested in it. I have no idea of price but Curtis is always very fair on his prices.

1 dr1553
2 Prototype Services
3 saern
4 GPSIG
5 moshergunshop
6 NMBigfoot02
7 Barrelburner
8 Bret
9 Hawkeye
10 moorecd3
11 CAB
12 MRIman
13 steelcore1964
14 sKott
15 arashi
16 CC007
17 valleyrat
18 jgasper

(Update) Curtis says if we get 20 people wanting them they will be around $25 each. Price will drop to about $15 each if we get 50 people. He said the biggest cost is the heat treat and thats why is cost so much to just make a few.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I have a Russian AKMS kit that also has domed ritet heads on the inside of the receiver.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen other kits with domed rivet heads inside the trunnion. I didnt know for sure if Russians were or not but it doesnt suprise me. I think it would be easier to do the rivets with the dome. It would be easier to line up on the center of the rivet. Plus they would not smoosh out the sides like pressing them flat will if your not super careful and get it centered just so.

I want to make a very correct Bulgy AKS-74U and a few Bulgy AKS-74's. I still have to find a way to make the trigger bulge and the left side selector bulge but I will. If I can get the domed rivets taken care of thats one less thing.

Let me know if your interested. Your not commited, Curtis just wanted to know how much interest there would be.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a tool from Mo0ndoggy to do this and it is great. Definately interesed in picking up a backup.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In for one.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
saern said:
diffently want one. we are just talking about the screw that goes the the jigs right?
Yes. It wont be as easy as taking an existing screw and concaveing the end. It will have to be larger at the bottom where its concaved, then it will have to neck down for the threaded part.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GPSIG said:
I have a tool from Mo0ndoggy to do this and it is great. Definately interesed in picking up a backup.
I didnt know he made them. Is it for the AK-Builder jig?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I made a few for some folks on here. It's basically a bolt that I hit with a 9/32 ball end mill. They're made out of grade 8 bolts so they tend to deform after a few uses if you press too hard with them.

Here's what the results look like, this is my 1971 Izhevsk AKM:

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
m0ondoggy said:
I made a few for some folks on here. It's basically a bolt that I hit with a 9/32 ball end mill. They're made out of grade 8 bolts so they tend to deform after a few uses if you press too hard with them.
Those look awesome!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
moondoggy--great lookin rivets. although you may want to edit the S/N on that first pic.

not trying to be nit-picky, of course. :wink:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Armed Ferret said:
moondoggy--great lookin rivets. although you may want to edit the S/N on that first pic.

i already wrote it down and contacted al qaeda in iraq. thanks bro!!

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
steven fry said:
[quote="Armed Ferret":p1civy5c]moondoggy--great lookin rivets. although you may want to edit the S/N on that first pic.

i already wrote it down and contacted al qaeda in iraq. thanks bro!![/quote:p1civy5c]
Me too, but I upped the ante and sold it to the communist Chinese too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Here are a couple more shots of the results of mo0ndoggy's tool

Polish folders have rounded heads on the inside of the underfolder trunion. The magwell ones are just because I can.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I talked to Curtis again. He said he would make them using one of his long rivet set tools. It would narrow down and have threads turned onto it so it would fit his jig. He would make it with a flat so it would shoulder up to the jig arm. He would then have them heat treated. 20 people or so and he would make a batch.

What Moondoggy has done looks great!!! Exactly the results I would want. I would like one from m0ondoggy and if Curtis ends up making them then I want one of his too. Curtis's stuff is always great! m0ondoggy would agree to that. Would you want one if he will make them m0on?

Now if I can get someone to make me something to put the trigger hump and the left side selector dimple in my ak-builder flats I would be happy happy!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts