AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of Chinese slings with unusual spring-like device on the attachment buckles. The marking in Chinese has "7.62" but that is all I can read. Extend, it is about 48" and adjusted down, about 29". There are no leather tabs or snaps for attachment to a weapon. I'll try to attach some pics. Sling buckle.JPG sling1.JPG Sling2.JPG

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Jungle slings ?

Reactions: Weaponmark

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
The Chinese slings with wire attachment hardware are not very uncommon.

They are not overly popular as they tend to be a less effective attachment method.

At least in my experience and use.

I suspect that is why they are not widely used or seen on SKS rifles.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
It's always the guys selling these, and the phenolic resin SKS furniture, who try to sex them up by calling them "jungle" items. There are no jungles in China, and no documented sighting of either item's use during the VN War or the Sino-Viet War.

A more plausible explanation is that they were designed to be either cheaper/easier to manufacture or more durable in all environments.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
They last longer than leather fastners after they get wet and do not stretch out.

One of the most frustrating things I have ever done is covering one with para cord with the inside removed. I FINALLY got it on the gun, and will NEVER be removed in my lifetime! LOL

I have seen some covered with shrink tubing that worked well and is quieter than plain metal.

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
I guess the leather tabs were good enough for the Chinese as they used them for many decades on the SKS and AK rifles.
Leather and canvas being the most often used sling material until the age of nylon in the mid 1960's for the M16 and by the 1980's for the commblocnations.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
These used to be on E-bay in packs of fifty or so, all over the place. Nothing rare about them. Probably thousands out there that never sold

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
They used to be everywhere and cheap. So much fun to put on. Functional for their purpose.

A local surplus store had hundreds of them for $2 or $3 each. That was a "why not" add some to the collection price for me.

I prefer the leather tab ones but they are a neat variation.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Those slings make it a real pain to remove the action from the stock. I was reading years ago they actually were intended for RPGs It seems odd they would use them on something and make it so hard to easily remove them. There were some slings with traditional snap hooks like usual ak style I do not know why they did not adopt them

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dont laugh but I agree they are a bitch to use. I have them in a stock drawer here just gathering time. They are worthless plus that Chinese plastic sling retainer stitched together is priceless. Muck China.

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
The Chinese made quite a few sling variations.
I have one of every type pictured so far and a couple more.
But there are others that are really uncommon.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I got one I bought about 15 years ago off the SKS BOARD. They were made for a Chinese sub machine gun. Or so they said. They work good on an SKS too.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The two snap hook slings on the right in your picture are similar in style to the pictures I posted. The main difference is that yours have a metal bracket attaching the snap hook "D" ring to the fabric sling. Mine has the fabric sling folded through the "D" ring and sewn together. Mr. B.

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
The buckle on the top pictured sling was likely a spring attachment type
that was converted to the leather tab.

Note it is the same as the sling in the first post

The flat ring at the attachment end is the other tell tale feature.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts