AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Premium Member
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I put a HK-91 on layaway at a shop where it was listed for $2000 but when asked about rock bottom price, they said $1500. I got there about 10 mins before closing so I tossed it on layaway and told them I'll be back in 2 weeks to pick the rifle up since I'm going on block leave (returning from deployment). My receipt says $1500 (plus taxes) and has the $350 I paid already taken off that.

Today I get a call from the shop saying that the price is incorrect (even though 3 employees told both myself and my friend $1500) and that I'd have to pay $1700. They also say they need to know asap because they have someone who saw the rifle a few days ago who's interested. (makes me think someone came in looking for it willing to pay the full $2k and now they want me to give it up). Long story short I cuss him out for a while and he says flat out I pay $1600 or he sends me a check for the money I already paid and puts the rifle back up for sale.
I agred to his terms verbally but immediately called one of the other stores in the chain (12 total in the area all run by one general manager) and and ask for the number to the general manager. He's on vacation...shit. So the manager of the other store I call says she will take down my information and that she'll have him call me on monday. I'll update yall when I talk to him...but if he doesn't side with me I basically have to pay the $1600 and get screwed. Is this poor business practice? I mean if 3 separate employees are given the wrong "bottom line" price then the business should eat the loss right?

CMS

· Registered
2,021 Posts
Re: Unethical practices regarding layaway...getting screwed.

When I see good deals, I buy 'em. No layaway or opportunity for the seller to change the price. In this case, if your receipt says $1500, they should sell it to you for that. Period.

· Registered
752 Posts

That doesn't seem right at all . Hopefully something comes out of contacting the general manager.

Wakko said:
When I see good deals, I buy 'em. No layaway or opportunity for the seller to change the price. In this case, if your receipt says $1500, they should sell it to you for that. Period.
Yep

· Registered
1,209 Posts

Involve the local Better Business Bureau and/or the Small Business Administration offices. Most businesses want good standing with these so they can maintain their retail license when it goes up for renewal.

· Registered
2,692 Posts

Your receipt says $1500. Get the general manager to fix the problem,

· Registered
308 Posts

1. Wait until the top manager gets back and calmly tell him/her directly what happened. Make sure he understands you are active military, and are only wanting what was offered. If he/she is a red blooded American he should do the right thing for any active military personel. You should not have to take this any further, you are only asking for what was offered.

2. If he/she renages on the offer his employees made to you for a product, for a specific amount of money, that you accepted, then by standard Contract Law you have a binding agreement that would stand up in court (offer,compensation, acceptance). I would politely point this out and he/she should see that they are on thin ice in Small Claims Court.

3. If you have to go this far, you have the power of the internet to plead your case and then identify the business. The businesses on the internet are part of a "Reputation Based Economy" and although people will have disagreements and disputes, if one company is consistantly not resolving their own disputes and is trashed by many different people, repeatable, they will not be in business very long. Good, if not great customer service is crucial in business today.

Speaking to the decision maker is the always the only final way of getting only what was offered, if you fail to escalate the issue to the top management then your chances of merely having them honor their contract will only diminish.

· Registered
2,000 Posts

Receipt says $1500, you pay $1500. Too bad, so sad. That was the deal when payment and promise was made and it should be honored.

Go in with your remainder and demand the gun.

· Registered
2,091 Posts

Fuck them dude. When you come back to PA I'll hook you up with anything you want.

For 2k it better be a real HK. I am not overly impressed with the PTR rifles either.

· Registered
1,751 Posts

You even paid consideration to make the contract enforceable. Tell them you will see them in small claims court for the price difference if they fuck with you. You will win.

· Premium Member
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It is a real HK and I'll post the name of the shop(s) when I get my rifle. I'll give the manager the opportunity to make it right and if he does not I'll pick up my rifle and spread the word. If you're in/around central Colorado and want to know PM me. As for the price...even if I can't get it at anything other than $1600 it's still a deal. I can't complain too much I guess but it's still not right.

CMS

G

·

eightbore said:
You even paid consideration to make the contract enforceable. Tell them you will see them in small claims court for the price difference if they fuck with you. You will win.
this

· Registered
3,095 Posts

ridiculous.....Make sure you throw a bitch fit while walking out if they don't fix that price-after the rifle is in your hands.

· Premium Member
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well when I talk to the general manager I'll explain the situation and how I believe that if there was a mistake made, that I shouldn't have to pay for it. Take it out of the employees commission, eat the $100 loss...something. If he does not fix it I will remain professional and purchase the rifle for $1600 but I will let him know that I won't do business with him ever again. After I have my rifle in about 2 weeks his ass will be mine. Gun boards, better business bureau, anyone I can think of. I'll bitch and complain until I get the word out as much as I can. I'd have already started...but like I said I want the darn rifle. :sad:

· Super Moderator
26,820 Posts

cms81586 said:
Well when I talk to the general manager I'll explain the situation and how I believe that if there was a mistake made, that I shouldn't have to pay for it. Take it out of the employees commission, eat the $100 loss...something. If he does not fix it I will remain professional and purchase the rifle for $1600 but I will let him know that I won't do business with him ever again. After I have my rifle in about 2 weeks his ass will be mine. Gun boards, better business bureau, anyone I can think of. I'll bitch and complain until I get the word out as much as I can. I'd have already started...but like I said I want the darn rifle. :sad:
If you have a receipt that says $1500, thats what you owe, end of story. Although I know you want to do the honorable thing, larger corporations are not honorable, so play by THEIR rules.

If the general manager does not make it right, ask for the number of his boss, then go from there. If this store is ANYWHERE near post, let them know you will tell the Base Commander what happened, and I assure you they will honor your receipt.

I know of a car dealership near a large Army Post that tried to pull a fast one on a young Troop. After talking to his foodchain, the issue was brought before the BC, who got on the horn to dealership to explain to the owner that his dealership would be put off limits to base personal. Problem solved.

Don"t let these guys screw you over like this no matter how much you want that rifle. Trust me on this, if somehow you were in this deal and on the hook for the money, this company would drag your ass to court to collect, so dig in deep, and fight this one out.

· Super Moderator
6,303 Posts

I am no lawyer (however I have paid a bunch of them, a good bit of money as of late), but I believe your receipt could be argued as a binding contract. You had an agent of the company(seller) who agreed to the terms (buy "X" for "Y" in stated terms ie layaway) and you gave consideration ($350). I am sure you base has some form of JAG that you could ask about it.

· Registered
8,466 Posts

I think the guys who fixed the discounted price for you went lower than the manager liked.

I'd get my down payment back and find another Hk91.

Is it fair? Probably not. Could you win if you took them to court? Probably so, but hiring any lawyer will burn through that $100 difference in about 2 hours.

· Premium Member
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Well I'm going to talk to the manager on Monday and go from there. If I don't get anything worked out JAG should be enough to fix the problem.

CMS

· Registered
490 Posts

Richard W. said:
I think the guys who fixed the discounted price for you went lower than the manager liked.

I'd get my down payment back and find another Hk91.

Is it fair? Probably not. Could you win if you took them to court? Probably so, but hiring any lawyer will burn through that $100 difference in about 2 hours.
WOW! Lawyers are cheap where you live!!! :grin:

This amount he'd go to small claims court where you can represent yourself. I think all he'd have to do is show the receipt and the judge would rule for him. Especially is he shows up in uniform. :grin:

· Registered
8,466 Posts

Yeah, maybe you're right.

Still a lot of bother to take a day off or even just an afternoon to go to court. I suppose it would be satisfying to stick it to them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.