AK Rifles banner

What style of underfolder do you prefer?

• Downward sloping classic/Chinese type

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In-line AKM type

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me the downward slope seems more natural and I can keep my head straighter, but the stock is in contact with my chin.
The in-line seems to absorb recoil better, but I feel like I have to cock my head at a funny angle to get sight alignment.

So, what do you guys prefer, downward sloping underfolder or in-line?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I honestly prefer the downward sloped ones. The straight ones feel like they'd be a good cheek bruiser.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I prefer to have a metal bar slammed into my face, every time I pull the trigger.

Oh no, wait. That's right, I hate under folders.
Please add an "I hate under folders" or "Don't hit me in the face with a metal bar." to your poll.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I absolutely love underfolders... my favorite stock type. No, seriously... they are perfect.

You get better cheek weld and recoil control with the AKM type straight stock, but I think the angled stock has a more classic look to it and feels more natural so I prefer that.

If your UF stock is loose, first, check to see if the third pin is in place. The third pin goes through the drum and into a slot on the right side (if you are behind the rifle) of the rear trunnion. That pin prevents the drum from rotating back and forth inside the trunnion and makes lockup in the open and closed position more positive and adds stability. Second, check out the nut on the right side of the stock. Push the pin out, put a punch at an angle into the top hole, and use a mallet to tap the nut tighter. This also removes play in the stock and makes it tighter.

Most UF stocks have SOME minor play... but if it wobbles excessively, it probably wasn't built or assembled right.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I like the AKMS stock but I've never had an AK with the Classic-type UF. Given a choice, I prefer a fixed WARSAW-length stock.

ETC-Spelling

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
I much prefer the older AKS-47 struts with more drop over the newer style AKMS straight struts, but the two underfolders I own have the AKMS struts.

They work.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have yet to fire the inline type, I have a Romanian under folder. I somewhat fixed the smashing into the chin problem by wrapping a long piece of cloth around one side of the stock (it softens the blow). The slight downward angle is more comfortable, but at the same time, makes aiming more difficult for consecutive shots.

I can't really say I like one over the other yet because I haven't used an AK with the other type.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
xcibes said:
If you guys are getting hit by steel bars from the stocks, or getting bruised you must be doing something wrong.
I've been suspicious of this. Please, check me on my technique.

Step 1: I shoulder the rifle, get a perfect cheek weld and take careful aim.
Step 2: A "friend" grabs the front end of the gun, yanks it out of my hands and swings it into my face, like he was playing AK baseball.
Step 3: It hurts a lot and leaves a mark.

What are we doing wrong?
Now, the gun is unloaded and on safe. Do you think that's the problem?
Maybe a 30 round mag filled with 7.62 will balance things out and the under folder won't be so uncomfortable, when it slams into my face, like a metal bar.

Actually, that's just some smartass bullshit I made up.
I'm sure under folders are fine. I've only fired one on one occasion and from an ergonomic standpoint, found it most unattractive.
I've tried to like them, but just can't do it. Makes me jealous of the people who get to collect them.
And then there's always this:
Sometimes it's just fun to bitch about something that you really don't know anything about. That's what the internet is for, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
xcibes said:
if there is any space between your face and the struts, you will get battered
Yeah he's gotta be rearin' back a good four feet, so that must be it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts